Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Arthroscopy?  (Read 729 times)

Offline Bocko

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Arthroscopy?
« on: March 30, 2010, 03:14:08 AM »
I'm looking for help making a decision on arthroscopic knee surgery. I'm 50 y/o overweight
(300 lb) with fibromyalgia and a damaged left arm from birth (can't use crutches). I've had patella arthritis in both knees for many years with some combination fibro and arthritis flareups that were very painful. Seven weeks ago my left leg twistewd on some ice and my knee became very painful. I figured it would resolve,but it seemed to get a bit worse over the weeks. I work and drive about an hour and a half a day. Went for a surgical consult today and the surgeon after seeing the MRi of my knee with a tear and joint arthritis suggested arthroscopic partial meniscectomy and smoothing out the cartilage. The problem is that he didn't seem confident that the surgery would necessarily help the pain because he didn't know whether it was an agravation of the arthritis or the tear or if the tear was just incidental. I don't have many sick days and it could adversly affect my job. I am typing the MRI report below if the post is allowed to be that long. Anyone been in my place and have any suggestions to offer? THANKS.

MRI report:
There are osteoarthritic changes characterized by peripheral and internal spurs in both femoral condyles. Mild reactive marrow edema favors the inner aspect of the condyles and the lateral fibial plateau. Cartilage loss identified in all three compartments and patellar spurs are identified periperally in both the patella and trochlear. Extensive full thickness cartilage loss noted laterally at the patellofemoral level. The quadriceps and patellar tendons are intact. The bodies of both menisci are extruded peripherally and there is marked attenuation of the inner half of the posterior horn of the medial meniscus. This is consistant with a tear. Oblique and undersurface extension of the posterior junction are present. Laterally, the anterior horn is replaced with amorphous signal and this is consistant with a degenerative tear. This extends to the anterior junction of the meniscus. There is diffuse thickening of the anterior cruciate ligament with some scattered linear striations. Degeneration is favored over injury. Mild degeneration of the posterior cruciate ligament is also noted. The collateral ligaments are continuous. Fluid is lidentified within the popliteus tendon sheath. IMPRESSION: OSTEOARTHRITIS WITH EXTENSIVE FULL THICKNESS ARTICULAR CARTILAGE LOSS WITH REACTIVE MARROW EDEMA AS DESCRIBED.     TORN MENISCI.