Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Possible DVT?  (Read 1620 times)

Offline cjtkd

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Possible DVT?
« on: March 29, 2010, 11:58:16 AM »
Hi,
I'll keep this quick. Back on March 13th I had Microfracture surgery on my right knee, yesterday my right calf muscle was stupidly painful. I know this can be a symptom of DVT, can it be anything else? Feels like a bad strain or pull after sports.

Ive called my on duty Doctor, waiting for a callback.

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 25
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
Re: Possible DVT?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 02:15:12 PM »
It could definitely be a strain/sprain, or just referred pain, as it isn't uncommon for people to experience pain, bruising, and swelling outside the knee, but best to call the doctor like you did. Is it red or painful to the touch? Does it hurt all the time, regardless of muscle activity?

Keep in mind that if things significantly worsen, you have shortness or breath, yada yada that you should go to the ER as opposed to waiting for a doctor callback.

I had a similar experience after my surgery in my sig, where my non-operative leg was hurting pretty badly and I too was worried about DVT so I called my doctor. I thought I had just overdone it on that leg with calf extensions, but I wanted to be safe. My doctor instructed me the same, if the symptoms persisted or escalated, to just go to the ER or urgent care, but otherwise ice and elevate. He said he doesn't worry as much about clots below the knee, as above, and likely wouldn't treat it beyond monitoring and letting it resolve on its own anyway. I was already on the lovenox anti-coagulant at the time that he prescribed post op for 21 days.

Let us know what your doctor says and how you are doing.
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline cjtkd

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Possible DVT?
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 01:56:06 PM »
Hi
Firstly sorry for the late reply, I didn't get the blood test results back until early evening yesterday. Thankfully they came black clear for signs of DVT, the Dr suspects its some of the surrounding bruising that's causing the nerves in and around my calf to react.

What a crazy day!