Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Confusion after Microfracture..  (Read 1393 times)

Offline cjtkd

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Confusion after Microfracture..
« on: March 26, 2010, 10:49:54 AM »
Hi,
As some of you might remember I had Microfracture surgery on two parts of articular cartilage on my right knee. From what ive read on various threads here many are advised not to place any weight on their knee for quite some time, but in may case ive been told to walk without crutches as soon as I feel able to. After only two weeks ive been cleared to start swimming and at no point was I told to stay on my crutches, in-fact one nurse told me some people walk the next day!

Could it be that advice is given differently in different countries, I myself am based in the UK. Although my knee is still quite weak (apparently ligaments and other bits are moved around during the procedure and im told this could account for the problem) the swelling has settled right down and there's not too much pain, certainly nothing that one or two painkillers don't sort out. That said there's some wicked odd looking bruising starting to appear.

Yesterday I was advised to use the crutches only if its painful or very unstable, but only to avoid falling over.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 10:52:53 AM by cjtkd »

Offline nico3049

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Confusion after Microfracture..
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 11:23:54 AM »
Hi there,
I am also based in the UK.
I was offered the choice of two procedures, microfracture or ACT. I was told by my surgeon that both procedures would require me to be non weight bearing following surgery.
Might be best for you to double check with your surgeon.

cheers

Nick

Offline jg5118

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 01:53:09 PM »
It depends if the microfracture was in a weight bearing area or non weight bearing - if it's non weight bearing, they want you to use it FWB

When I had microfracture done, because it was a non weight bearing area, it was even in my post op notes to mobilise and FWB the next day - I walked out the hospital without crutches

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 03:36:34 PM »
jg5118 has it spot on - it depends on whether the microfracture is on a weight-bearing or non-weightbearing area of the bone. A friend of mine here (Canada) had microfracture recently and was cleared to walk within 24 hours. She double-checked this as her PT had told her she wouldn't be able to walk for some time, and that was the reason she was given. Much better to be in a position where you can take weight and avoid the crutches if you can!
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline jt801

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 07:22:07 PM »
Like has been said before, the location determines everything as to your post-op protocol. My question is if you are wearing a brace? My understanding is that for NWB area defects its ok to weight that leg, but a brace is required to prevent knee flexion from placing stress on the microfractured area.
12/99 left knee lateral release and plica removal
1/09 right knee chondroplasty and microfracture LFC

Offline JVD

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 03:53:37 AM »
Thank you for posting this.  I assumed I'd need crutches for maybe 2 days.  I had no order for PT that I knew of, and researched advice post op.  Discovering everyone else seemed to be on crutches 4-6 weeks, I was in agony and assumed someone forgot to tell me something.  At the follow up I asked my doctor.  He said my lesion was small, and that I should ditch the crutches as soon as I felt stable enough.  I dropped them after 2 1/2 weeks.  He said different doctors have different recommendations regarding micro-fracture, and not to take internet advice.

How does your knee feel now?

Offline karategirl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 04:07:25 PM »
Hey JVD, I'm curious as to how your mfx recovery is going. I had similar advice from my OS- small lesion, FWB right away, etc, and was worried about damaging the fibrocartilage by being weight bearing so soon. (I posted about it on this thread: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=51581.0) Are you seeing improvements in pain and swelling at all?

May 2010: Left knee partial medial meniscectomy and LFC microfracture
Dec 2010: Right knee partial medial meniscectomy

support