Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Broken Patella - 5months later...pain  (Read 1386 times)

Offline MJM11

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Broken Patella - 5months later...pain
« on: March 24, 2010, 02:27:36 PM »
Hey everyone,

So i'm new to this forum, not really sure where to post this so I decided to put it in here, hopefully someone will see it. Sooo, in later October 2009 I broke my patella...well FRACTURED it I guess is more correct...I cracked it vertically right through the middle, but it didn't seperate completely so I didn't have to get surgery, I just had one of those fabric air-casts on for about 8weeks. Then after the 8weeks I did physio up until about mid-february. The physiotherapist said it was fine and I could go snowboarding do whatever but just take it easy don't do anything nuts...So I didn't do anything just began exercising it and working out getting my strength back.  So now that you know what the scenario is, I have a question...WHYYYYYY :(...when I kneel on it does it begin to hurt? If I kneel down on both knees its ok..at best, but when i go on the one knee by itself especially on hard surfaces (concrete, hardwood flooring) it bothers me...will this ever go away?..What does this mean?

Any help would be MUCH appreciated!

Thanks everyone,

M.

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
Re: Broken Patella - 5months later...pain
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 02:37:34 PM »
Hi and welcome

I'm no expert on bone breaks/fractures to the patella but mine has cartilage damage underneath it and kneeling on a hard surface is VERY nasty as I guess the bone takes the weight of it. I am guessing that when you fractured it, the bones will also have been bruised and whilst the fracture has clearly healed well, bone bruising and trauma can take up to 12 months to settle. In some ways it isn't wholly suprisisng it still hurts when you put all your body weight through the daft little kneecap bone on an unforgiving surface only 6 months after it got broken through the middle....I'm guessing all your other rehab/exercises/daily activity is coming along well and you've not suddenly developed this problem along with any catching/clunking/stabbing pains, increased swelling etc?

Personally I'd go easy on the kneeling, make sure the healing carries on - things do take longer than you'd think, especially with knees! :) If you HAVE to kneel (for work etc) I'd invest in a strap on knee pad - makes life a lot easier and is good practice for your long term knee health.

Good luck

Lottie :)
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline sabby

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 05:44:58 PM »
I broke my patella on 27 march 2010 in half split from left tow right wow much pain. Now 8 months later and surgery figure 8 tension weir around my knee cap I am waking I have stopped my pt could not afford it. Walking good throw from 5 months on. Still hurts a lot but it is just the hard ware in there.you will get threow this just takes time sound to me like 1 years and you will be good as new.
Keep cool wish you good luck
 ;D ;D
sebastian

Offline coral 251

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 09:56:23 PM »
I also fractured my patella in march,mine did require surgery,so i had the usual type of fix for this injury ,the two pins and figure of 8 wiring.
I will be 8 months post-op on the 26th november,and now after much hard work,and lots of various exercises,i am finally seeing some results,it was only this week, that i have been able to climb the stairs without excrutiating pain,and having to hoist myself up with the handrail.
My OS told me that once the bone is fully healed it is by no means fully strong,this can take a few years,and can also develop arthritis later in life.
If possible, try to avoid kneeling,until you are sure the bone is strong enough to support your weight without pain.
Hope this helps, and i wish you well.
           coral

23/03/10 displaced patella fracture 3 pieces right leg
26/3/10 had op,2 pins & figure of 8 wiring
full cast ankle to thigh 7 weeks.
18/5/10 cast removed xray showing hairline crack
26/7/10 walking unaided,full rom
31/10/2010.6 months post-op check,bone not healed,harware cant be removed

Offline millsyee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 06:00:44 AM »
I broke my patella into 3 pieces playing a game of football in 2004, my knee looked flat until it swelled up 10 minutes later

As of 2010 My knee functions perfectly but aches when I run, go up stairsor kneel on it, I don't know what the long term future is for it
 (as an electrican climbing through roofs) the best advice I can give any one is get that figure 8 and 2 pins removed as they are annoying and if you are still recovering
 then exercise bikes are fantastic for bending your knee, put the seat up as high as you can and lower it a bit each day until you have full movement.
I have noticed I can here it grind when I am in a quite room so I am looking at getting an arthriscope, maybe it will make a difference..

Offline sabby

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 04:17:21 PM »
Hello,
its 2018 and 8 years later my broken patella is now in good working order, no pain really to speak of. I can run, go up and down stairs, it's like it never happened.
but I and always guarding my knee.
Thank you all over the years checking in.
sebastian

Offline MasterForte

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 04:25:03 PM »
Hello,
its 2018 and 8 years later my broken patella is now in good working order, no pain really to speak of. I can run, go up and down stairs, it's like it never happened.
but I and always guarding my knee.
Thank you all over the years checking in.

Wow! Thanks for updating Sabby. I'm happy to hear things went well for you.

I myself am recovering from a synovectomy due to abnormal tissue growth. I'm 8 months post-op and continue to have a bit of swelling which really scares me and makes me think something is still wrong in there and I'll need another operation. Time has helped it get better but I wouldn't think it would of taken this long and still have a bit of swelling.

How long did it take for your knee to start feeling normal and healed up? And did you do anything to help it heal?

support