Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Alternatives to PKR/TKR in UK  (Read 1395 times)

Offline Lilmagic

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Alternatives to PKR/TKR in UK
« on: March 24, 2010, 01:08:29 PM »
HI All,

Just found this site. I've had a bit of a look around, but can't find the info I want I'm afraid, my apologies if I've missed it somewhere.

I have OA of both knees, wrists, hands and shoulders at present. My knees by far the biggest problem and I had an arthroscpoic lavage of my left knee about 10 weeks ago, but it's just not helped. I had high hopes after having the right knee done 4 years ago and had great results, but no luck this time, so I'm now looking at other options.

What I want to know is whether there is anywhere in South West England that offers alternatives to TKR/PKR. I'm 47 and have been told I'm far too young for joint replacement surgery.I've read a little about ACI and also found info on the newer implants for resurfacing of joints, but wanted to know if anyone has had experience of either procedure locally to me and if so was it effective, cost etc.

I hope someone will be able to offer a response. Isee my GP again later today to talk options, but not sure what he will offer other than referral back to an OS.
Sue

1979 Meniscectomy
1985 Tibial # right leg
1986 Bilateral osteotomy both feet
1995 release of tendons in L wrist
2005 Arthroscopic lavage R knee
2006 R elbow surgery for tennis elbow
2008 Joint resection of L shoulder & de-spurring.
2010 Arthroscopic lavage & debridement L knee
2010 PKR L knee

support