Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: DeNavo NT cartilage implant verse ACI  (Read 1052 times)

Offline hwa

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
DeNavo NT cartilage implant verse ACI
« on: March 23, 2010, 11:33:13 AM »
Saw Orth to schedule right knee ACI (patella-femoral defect).  He stated that I have two options. The first being the ACI.  However, based on my age (45) he recommended considering using donar cartilage from a young cadaver.  He states that there are issues with ACI in older patients since the older cells do not produce good cartilage.  The DeNavo NT (not sure if this is the name of the procedure) cartilage is younger and goes in as a paste, mixed with glue, then is glued in place.  They bend leg o make sure secure, then let it dry.  Said do not need patch since will not "float away" like ACI cells if patch leaks.  Said that cartilage heals/grows faster and should be stronger than 45 yr old ACI cartilage.  He is involved in study using this cartilage.  I will not be in the study.  He has done 100's ACI and after seeing both at 6 months etc. (he likes to go in and remove the TTO screws and view the graft), the younger donar cartilage looks much better.  Anyone hear of this or have issues with older cartilage from ACI?
HWA
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 11:35:53 AM by hwa »

Offline doublemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
    • Andi's Website
Re: DeNavo NT cartilage implant verse ACI
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 06:05:14 PM »
If you look up "DeNovo minced cartilage" online, you will find a bunch of information about the DeNovo NT process.  It's in clinical trials and it sounds promising.

Andi
2000 R patella dislocation
2004 - Soccer injury - LK medial and lateral meniscectomies
2007 - Dx patellar tilt, lateral subluxation, grade III chondromalacia
5/13/08 - RK medial/lateral meniscectomies & patellar chondroplasty
4/6/2010 - RK TTT/LR scheduled

support