Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Unknown cause of swelling  (Read 1992 times)

Offline mead

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Unknown cause of swelling
« on: March 22, 2010, 06:29:32 PM »
Hi there,

41 yo male. I've been battling a swelling with my left knee for several years. The swelling was due to over production of synovial fluid. After a great initial work up (MRI, blood tests, synovial fluid tests, surgery to test synovial membrane), all known issues/diseases were ruled out. There was no tear/break in any tendon, tested -ve for lyme disease, lupus, gout.. ... the list goes on. I was even HLA B27 rhuematoid arthritic factor -ve. The knee was hot to touch, painful, and the swelling limitted my knee's range of motion to 90 degrees.  Eventually a cortisone injection took care of the swelling albeit only temporarily. I managed after that with strong doses of NSAIDs to keep the pain and inflammation to a tolearable level, although I was never back to normal.

Several months later I was visitting Africa, and took doxycycline for anti malarial purposes. My knee started to improve, and I weaned of the NSAIDs.  I did not make the connection till a year later when I stumbled on an article citing the anti-inflammatory effect of doxycycline. Nowadays, if I suffer a flare up, a seven to 10 day course of doxycycline greatly improves the pain/swelling, and I can return to most activites after that. No more NSAIDs. Sounds great right?

Unfortunately last week I suffered the same action on my right knee. I think I may have bumped it into a chair a few days before that, but it sure feels like my right knee is also going down the same path. I'm really depressed.

Does anyone else here also suffer with the same unknown swelling? And can you share your efforts?

THanks

Mead

Offline alek05

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Unknown cause of swelling
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 08:05:36 AM »
I'm 23 y/o. I've been having just about the same problems in my left knee as well. I've had the excess synovial fluid removed twice now and it keeps swelling up a few weeks later. All tests on the fluid have come back negative. I have had an MRI(looked completely normal) and a cortisone shot as well. Which only worked for about two weeks. My doctor has no idea whats wrong and is trying to avoid an orthoscopy atm.

support