Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: patella fracture  (Read 1511 times)

Offline mrbubbles

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
patella fracture
« on: March 20, 2010, 11:32:52 PM »
hi all
i am a 30 year old female.  i fracured my patella on 6th feb, in 3 places.  Had to have surgery, they put a tension band wire in.  I had to have it in a knee brace (soft) for 4 weeks after which thy said i could weight bear fully and bend it, however they did not take the crutches off me or the brace, so i am still using them.  I am too afraid to go without them and wouldnt know how to.  i get my first physiotherapy session on thursday. Unfortunately the bending is not happening i am struggling with it as my knee is so stiff.  I try to bend it every day and i can get it to bend a little more in the bath, i cannot do leg lifts and muscle tone looks awful (compared to the good leg). I am totally unsure of what to expect when i go for physio and i am totally petrified (sounds baby-ish i know but i cant help it).  i was wondering if anyone had any help, knowledge or advice to share with me, i would be grateful.

Offline Patience

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: patella fracture
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 06:17:20 AM »
It seems we're on a similar timeline. I'm a 40 year old female. I had a motorbike accident on 11 January, landed on my left knee, but the x-ray showed I merely had a minor tear to the tendons above and below my knee. A month later, on 8 February, I slipped and twisted my knee causing the patella to break. I wore a full-leg plaster cast for five weeks and then the doctor put on a removable immobilizing brace which I was advised to wear for two more weeks.

I'm now one week into wearing the brace, six weeks after the plaster cast was put on. I slept for the first time with no brace or cast. It was a bit achy, but otherwise fine. This morning I've tried to see what my range of motion is like, for the first time. I can get to about 30 degrees before it's painful. I can see this is going to be a painful process. Next weekend, I'll see the doctor again and hopefully have my first physio appointment. I'm very curious as well how that's going to go, how far I can push myself safely, etc.

Keep us posted and I'll do the same. I'll be interested to hear more about your experiences.
11/1/2010 - Motorbike accident; fall on L knee; MRI showed minor tear patellar tendon
8/2/2010- Slipped, twisted knee; x-ray showed stress fracture L patella
13/2/2010 - Plaster cast put on; duration - 6 wks
22/3/2010 - Plaster cast removed; removable immobilizing brace put on

Offline LAP

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 07:11:11 AM »
Hello.  I am quite the newbie to this site, but would like to give you my thoughts and hopefully gain information from people going through the "POST-OP PATELLA JOURNEY".  I returned home from the hospital 4 days ago after undergoing patella reconstruction surgery. I have had O.T. and P.T. come to my home 3 times now and will see my Doctor this Friday, April 5th. 
I was fortunate that none of my tendons and ligaments were not torn by the fragmented bone, but was informed that I did quite a number on my knee. 
I get my staples out this Friday and am walking with an immobilizing brace with an ice brace also.  I have to use crutches to get up the stairs and late at night, when I wake up with the excruciating pain.  Otherwise, I am walking with out any devices and feel as though I am doing well.  I am really scared and nervous about seeing the doctor and thinking about the long road of pain and frustration ahead of me.  I read an article in which a lady said, "I can't believe how long it is going to take to repair what took such a short amount of time to damage."

I am very scared and nervous about the unknown.  Which is normal, but for some reason, knowing that does not help me.  Know that you are not alone!  I am 42 years old and feel like a kid who is just getting her first cavity filled.  Very scary stuff to deal with!!!!
Keep me informed of y

Offline smillie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 11:17:25 PM »
I haven't fractured my patella, but I've had extensive surgery and lots of physical therapy and I've been where you are with the lack of range of motion and muscle tone after surgery.  It's normal to feel a little freaked out by that and worry that it will never come back.  But you have a lot of examples here on this site who can tell you that it will come back.  You just have a lot of hard work ahead of you to do so.  Get a physical therapist that you trust and can work with and do what he or she says to do.  Keep up with your "homework" that they ask you to do between sessions and give it your best effort.  Ask lots of questions and come here for support.  You'll be OK and you'll get your motion and strength back.  Don't worry!  :-)
patella pain began early teens
'94 TTT/LR/VMO adv.
'94 MUA
'10 tried PT again
1/11 scope/hardware removal
4/11 (Finally!) dx medial instability due to LR
5/9/11 LPFL reconstruction scheduled

Offline LAP

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 04:59:06 AM »
Thank you for your thoughts and help, smillie-

I really appreciate it.  Everyone on this site seems very nice and supportive, with lots of good advice.  I am not taking as much of my pain medication, because I do not want to have an issue with that as well.  I traded my medicine for Extra Strength Tylenol and it is doing most of the job.  The nurse came today and said that I was doing well.  She looked at my incision, all my bruises and swelling, and took my blood pressure and vitals.  I felt good about my progress when she left. 
I also got the railings put up on the steps going up to the garage, so now I can walk up the stairs by myself.  That made me feel good about myself.  I have a Physical and Occupational Therapist from the hospital that I can relate to and trust.  They are about my age and we can talk about a lot of different stuff.  I have been doing my "homework" in between the visits, but get frustrated when I really concentrate on the quad excercises and it does not work like it used to.  I was able to flex my muscles in my leg easily and without thinking about it too much.  Now it aggrivates me that it is so difficult.   >:( I guess that is normal, but it really frustrates the &%^$ out of me...... Ya know?????

I see the doctor Friday afternoon and need to call my Physical Therapist after my appointment.  We will decide what route to take from there.  I will keep you updated on my situation.  Thanks again for your support and understanding.  Also, thanks for the reply. 
Take care and I will log in on Friday afternoon, if not tomorrow.  Bye for now....... :)

Offline smillie

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 05:13:50 PM »
Yes, it's normal.  And Yes, it's frustrating.  :-)

I couldn't find my quads without help at first.  I used an e-stim machine to help me re-learn how to fire the muscles.  It was a love/hate relationship, but I found my quads and was able to begin building them up again.  It's amazing how fast those muscles go away.  And they also don't react well to the pain and swelling.  So it's normal to not be able to use them, but they will help you get them back on track.  Until you go through something like this, you just can't fathom sitting and looking at a muscle and not being able to figure out how to make it contract.  So bizarre!
'94 TTT/LR/VMO adv.
'94 MUA
'10 tried PT again

Offline LAP

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 03:06:38 AM »
Hello Smillie:

I had my doctor appointment today and was told some very aggrivating and upsetting news.  Apparently my patella fracture surgery did not work.  There is a wide gap in my patella presently as opposed to right after the surgery, so on Thursday morning I have to go back in to the hospital and have my patella fixed again! That is absolutely not the news that I was expecting.....So, all the pain and frustration that I have gone through over the past couple of weeks is going to be re-lived!!!! Nice, huh?
Well, I will get to be served breakfast in bed again.......

What a complete bummer..... I did get the staples out though, and it feels much better; even if I only get to feel relief for another 6 days.....

So, I am really aggrivated, sad, frustrated and in pain..... There is not much more that I can say about it, except that everything is on hold and now I will know what to expect.  Ya know.....  I will let you know how things are going, though.  May not sign on again until next week, but I will be back.....Take care and have a nice holiday........Bye!!!!!

Offline smillie

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 10:17:20 PM »
Oh I'm so sorry!  I'm sure you're very upset.  Best wishes for a successful second try at fixing it.  I guess you know what to expect this time, huh?  We'll still be here when you get back.  See you again soon!
'94 TTT/LR/VMO adv.
'94 MUA
'10 tried PT again