Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: re Regenexx  (Read 4336 times)

Offline emilylauren

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
re Regenexx
« on: March 18, 2010, 11:50:45 PM »
Hi, I had the Regenexx stem cell injections earlier in the year.  Unfortunately I had more problems after the Regenexx than when I began.  Its been heart breaking to say the least.  I sold my car to pay for the injections.  Obviously some people have had success with the procedure.  The folks out in Colorado are very nice and very professional and obviously really believe in what they are doing.  I went into the procedure thinking it might night fix my knee problem but I didn't think I'd be in worse shape when I finished.  Was it the injections? Was it that I was in so much pain for some reason after the injections that I couldn't walk without a cane and my quad shut down even more? I don't know.  Before the injections, I could bike but not climb without pain, i could run but with some pain, could walk for hours pain free.  Now, I have pain all the time and still struggle to walk without a limp.  I've had months of p.t. I'm now schedule for what is probably the first of a few surgeries. The first surgery will be arthoscopic. The ortho surgeons I've spoke with are afraid to do much more. They want to see how/if I can recover after this limited surgery.  I'm not trying to ''bad mouth'' Regenexx. Not at all. Maybe I'm the only patient who has run into problems.  But I think its important to let others know my outcome. 

Offline runlolarun

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: re Regenexx
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 03:06:45 PM »
Interesting.  You may want to repost this in "injections to the knee", b/c that's where all the Regenexx folk seem to hang out.  I'm not one of them, so I can't attest personally to anything about Regenexx. 

I have a couple of questions for you though.  You said that you had Regenexx "earlier in the year".  Do you mean 2010?  It's only March now, and I am under the impression that one has to sort of baby the knees for about 4-6 weeks after a Regenexx injection.  It may be too early to tell whether the injections did anything for you or not, and the pain you feel may be temporary.   Yet you say you've had "months" of PT, so maybe you had Regenexx last year.  It is an important point, given that these regenerative things take time to work. 

I'm also under the impression that Regenexx doesn't work for everyone, and that they do a sort of evaluation before you begin.  Did they evaluate you?  If so what did they tell you to expect in terms of success?

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 05:50:57 PM »
Hi there

I'm sorry that your knee is giving you so much trouble - can I ask what is wrong in the knee? I've been in touch with Regenexx and like you, was impressed with their professionalism. I am UK based to going to Denver for injections that *might* help is a big step for me too, and I am currently undecided as recent scans indicate some biomechanical issues that all the injections in the world won't fix. As said previously, if the injections were earlier this year it is early days - have you had al of the rounds they suggest (I was told 2-3 rounds between 6 and 8 weeks apart after the initial stem cell draw and expansion). I was then told to expect changes to take up to 12 months although some people see rapid improvement, some see very slow progress and some, unfortunately, don't get a benefit. I wasn't told that symptoms could worsen but I guess that is the risk with any form of intervention, and sometimes the worsening may have happened anyway. Its the chicken and egg situation isn't it. I was rated Good to fair - I have multiple defects and they are in two compartments - what were you rated prior to treatment? have you spoken about the symptoms and problems with the clinic since your injections? have they experienced this before and is there anything they could recommend? You mention that various surgeons are afarid to do much more than a scope - I assume that isn't because of the Regenexx work, more to do with the knee condition?

I hope you see some improvement soon, and that the surgery can bring some relief.

Lottie  :)
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline jamysal

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 01:58:41 PM »
emily lauren-may I ask what the eventual outcome of your knee became?

support