Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Torn meniscus symptoms?  (Read 1123 times)

Offline kdcapuano

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Torn meniscus symptoms?
« on: March 18, 2010, 12:14:49 PM »
Hi, my name is Kimmy.  I am new here.  I have been having some knee pain in my right knee for the past couple of month.  A few days ago I went to see an orthopedic surgeon.  He scheduled me to have an MRI because he said that he believes that I have "torn cartilage" in my knee.  After researching torn cartilage on the internet, all that I could find is torn meniscus.  I have read some stuff on torn meniscus, but everything seems so broad and vague, which is why I am here.  I wanted to find out from others here what you've experienced if you had a torn meniscus.  Where did your knee hurt?  What sort of things aggravates your knee?  What things have you tried that helps ease the pain?

My knee hurts all the time, but sometimes it hurts worse than other times.  I feel the pain at the top and middle of my knee, but behind the kneecap.  It feels like a sharp, stabbing, and burning pain.  My knee feels weak, like it could just give out at any moment.  I have been noticing too that it has started popping  occasionally, especially when I straighten it out.  What really makes my knee hurt is when I try to sit down, stand up, or go up and down the stairs.  I have also noticed too is that it hurts when I am in bed and I try to turn over on my side.  I am losing a lot of sleep at night because every time I try to turn over it hurts my knee and the pain wakes me up.  I have tried a few things to try to ease the pain, but nothing helps.  I have taken ibuprofen, a prescription NSAID, alternating between ice and heat, and to no avail, I am still in pain. 

I am really hoping that whatever they find on the MRI, they will be able to fix it so the pain will go away.  I don't care if that means surgery or physical therapy.  I just want the pain to leave for good.

Kimmy

Offline tenisfan

• Regular Poster
Re: Torn meniscus symptoms?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 12:48:12 AM »
HI kimmy,

Have had my share of torn meniscus. My meniscus was torn on the lateral side of the knee. The symptoms i had were alot of catching, my knee would buckle, hard to go up and down stairs, popping and crunch noises. Have had two surgeries so far, for some reason it keeps getting torn. Try using lots and lots of ice until you get the results of the Mri. Also sometimes when it is torn a small piece of cartilage can get trapped in other places of the knee like in a joint, and that can cause the catching feeling.  Hope all goes well for ya!!!!!   Kim
2006 right knee surgery, meniscus
2008 left knee lateral release,  meniscus
2009 microfracture left knee, lateral meniscus,  fragment
2009 cartilage transplant oats
2010 loose fragment removal, meniscus fraying,found another defect
2010 oats failed, synvesic injections ,2011 right knee meniscus

Offline rsuddeth

• Regular Poster
Re: Torn meniscus symptoms?
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 04:35:32 PM »
What you describe sounds pretty similar to what I experienced (although for me, the trouble with buckling went away after a couple weeks rest, and using a support when I danced. Both doctors I saw were convinced I didn't actually have a tear, because I functioned too well, despite the pain.)

Good luck with the MRI. In my case the tear was relatively small, and obscured by the other shredded cartilage I had (arthritis/arthrosis) so it didn't show up in the MRI, either and doc was still convinced there was no tear. They felt the arthritis explained the pain (nevermind that it got worse and never recovered following an injury.) They didn't find the tear until they did arthroscopy. Just thought I'd mention that even if for some reason it didn't show up in the MRI, keep pushing for better tests.
Feb 24th, 2010 TTT/LR (meniscus trim)