Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: TTT & LR ????  (Read 1273 times)

Offline lynneM

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
TTT & LR ????
« on: March 04, 2010, 11:53:30 AM »
Hi - after a great couple of years following MPFR the new ligament has gone south and disappeared! My surgeon has me on the list for the above. Although there are lots of posts about TTT I am struggling to get a definate idea of how demanding the rehab is. The surgeon has said its not much different from the MPFR and I coped pretty well with that and didnt find the pain demanding at all. However looking on here many people seem to be describing a much more difficult process for the TTT and LR than I have experienced? I have been told 6 weeks stationnary in plaster, followed by a leg brace for between 3 and 6 months and that driving may not be possible for up to a year? I need to plan work and care afterwards as I live on my own ..... can anyone give me an idea of what to expect? Thanks!!! ;D
October 2006 Arthroscopy & Patella Scrape
May 2007 MPFR & Gracilis
March 2010 TTT & LR

Offline adlottis

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: TTT & LR ????
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 08:38:04 PM »
I had a ttt/LR/MR/chondroplasty.  I was in a brace for 6 weeks, NWB for 4 weeks, on crutches for 11 weeks (extrememly week quad)  Was driving after 4 weeks, could have driven before but was warned that if accident was to happen and I got out of car with all my paraphenalia it might not look good.  I was in PT for 6 month due to ROM and strength issues.  I continued to improve for a quite a while after that but I feel like I was pretty functional at about 4 months. (meaning I could do most daily activites on my own.  Still couldn't squat, or kneel  (still can't).  Leg still bothered me, wasn't back to normal walking routine till 5 months.

You need to realize everyone's situation is different.  Dr.'s protocal, how we recover and the rate we recover from this surgery.  This is just my experience.

Annette
1976 first dislocation 10 years old
1980 14 yrs old LR, MR, remove chip bone
1980-2005 numerous dislocations
March 2007 Proximal/distal realignment, chondroplasty
July 2007 MUA
July 2008  synvisc
Sept 2008 patellar tendon tendonitis
June 2009 hardware removal, LR, debriedment

Offline Natalie.D

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 09:02:02 PM »
Lynne

My experience was pretty much along the same lines as Annette's rehab, I still can't kneel or squat either and thats after 15 years but I can do pretty much everything else, I was back to normal after about 5-6 months.

Natalie.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 09:03:58 PM by Natalie.D »
Dislocations since age 12
Trochlear Dysplasia
Maltracking
Hypermobile
LR/MR-failed
TTT, LR, MR L knee 95-Success
TTT, LR, MR R 02-Success
Screws out
Partial tear ACL
Severe end stage OA
4 Debridements
Partial Meniscectomy
Failed Microfracture
11mm Defect LFC
Bone Spurs, Kissing Lesions

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 11:00:01 PM »
I've had 3 TTT/LR's.  I have never been NWB..Always been WBAT out of the hospital.  I was in a full leg Post-Op Brace anywhere from 4 weeks to 16 weeks depending on which TTT (revision being the longest).  I was allowed to drive when off all pain meds - sometime around week 2 starting with very short trips only when necessary.  I was feeling pretty much like myself again somewhere between 4 and 6 months.

Karen
Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline doublemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
    • Andi's Website
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 05:27:27 AM »
I'm scheduled for a TTT/LR on April 6th.  Different doctors have different protocols for post-surgery, it seems that there is a HUGE range of difference for some people. 

My surgeon will have me in a full leg brace, but he said that *immediately* he wants me out of the brace any time I'm sitting down and working on range of motion doing heel slides, etc.  He wants that ROM to happen as soon as possible after surgery.  He also said I'll be weight bearing as tolerated with the brace locked, but that I probably won't want to tolerate it for the first week or two.  I think he's going to be pretty aggressive with my ROM, strengthening, and weight bearing, which is fine with me.  He also said driving will depend on when I'm off of the pain meds, and when I have muscle control to work the pedals, probably about a month after surgery, but that's just a guess on his part.

I've been working on going to the gym and getting these quads a strong as possible before my surgery.  The longer your leg is immobilized after surgery, the more muscle strength you lose.  That's why I was very happy to hear my surgeon's plans for me after surgery, I don't want this poor leg of mine to waste away and lose the strength that I've been building up in it so far.

Have you decided on a date for your surgery yet?  If you don't like the post-op protocol that your surgeon has given you, do you have the option to see a different surgeon for another opinion? 

Andi
2000 R patella dislocation
2004 - Soccer injury - LK medial and lateral meniscectomies
2007 - Dx patellar tilt, lateral subluxation, grade III chondromalacia
5/13/08 - RK medial/lateral meniscectomies & patellar chondroplasty
4/6/2010 - RK TTT/LR scheduled

Offline lynneM

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 12:56:58 PM »
Hi  - thanks for all the information and advice - its much appreciated. I feel alot better and from what each of you has said I think I will cope with it ok as I did with the other op. I got to full ROM in 4 weeks and was weight bearing straight away after that. I trust the surgeon completely - he has been the only doctor who has recognised the problem and done anything for me - I have been dislocating my right patella since childhood and only got some real help through his advice aged 37! The MPFR has only failed due to a car accident before it was fully healed, we think the impact of the smash snapped the neew liagment as I felt a change immediately I stepped out of the car. I coped very well with the post op stuff for that so feel much better having read what you have had to say and it concurs with most of what the surgeon has said - it was some of the horror stories I read on here and elsewhere that were really worrying me!

Doublemom ....... I will have it done I think by the end of May but the waiting list is delayed so it could be June. If you are keeping a post op diary on here I will follow it - Good Luck with it!
May 2007 MPFR & Gracilis
March 2010 TTT & LR

Offline rsuddeth

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 10:00:55 AM »
Wow, big range here. Driving by week 2 = envy  :o

At 2 weeks after (well 15 days now), I am just starting to put slight weight on it, but can't do more than due to stiff swollen ankle. I'm having more pain now than in the first week, and haven't been able to reduce narcotics. I've had no trouble with quad strength, though, and started heel slides on 2nd day post op. I think I can be grateful the difficulties I'm having don't look like anything that will trouble long term recovery.
Feb 24th, 2010 TTT/LR (meniscus trim)

Offline lynneM

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 04:12:07 PM »
Got my date through - 29th March - so the advice even more timely given the short notice. Thanks again - will keep a diary. Lynne
May 2007 MPFR & Gracilis
March 2010 TTT & LR

Offline deltamuse

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 10:26:47 PM »
I'm having my TTT (elmslie trillat) in one week.  I'll make sure I post about how the recovery goes.
3/22/10- TTT (Elmslie Trillat)

Offline adlottis

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 07:06:29 PM »
Lynne,

I can totally relate I too started dislocating as a child and it wasn't till I was 40 till i found someone who could help me.  Everyone always took MRI's and looked for damage, never for the underlying problem.  I finally found a DR who knew what my problem was and could fix it.

Good luck on your upcoming surgery.

Annette
1976 first dislocation 10 years old
1980 14 yrs old LR, MR, remove chip bone
1980-2005 numerous dislocations
March 2007 Proximal/distal realignment, chondroplasty
July 2007 MUA
July 2008  synvisc
Sept 2008 patellar tendon tendonitis
June 2009 hardware removal, LR, debriedment

support