Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: High Heels - Every once in a while???  (Read 1491 times)

Offline Wtg

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
High Heels - Every once in a while???
« on: September 26, 2003, 02:23:12 PM »
Wow, I am so happy I found this site. I had begun to feel so alone with this knee pain problem.

I have a question...

I had an arthroscopy almost 5 months ago. The diagnosis was chondromalacia, grade 2.

I have been wearing sneakers & flat shoes ever since. But this weekend I would like to wear high heels under an evening gown.  I know the high heels aren't a good idea, sigh. I tried walking around the house and my knee was not happy. However, would a few hours would be okay? No dancing, just walking to get to and from (then it's all sitting). I don't want to damage my knee, but if the only consequence is a little soreness, then maybe it is okay? I will wear flats if this would set my recovery back.  I am hoping though that every once in a while, special occasions only, it is acceptable. ????

Iona_-Uk

Re: High Heels - Every once in a while???
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2003, 02:32:27 PM »
I have grade 4 chrondro and normally I can only wear flaties or trainers, I do attempt to wear high heels sometimes though.

What I do is if I know I am going to have to wear high heels, such as a dinner or an interview, I take a few anti inflammtories a about 5 hours before, then some more just before I leave and that seems to help me a bit. I make sure I don't walk around too much and if possible I take the shoes off!.

Hope that helps.
Iona

Offline Erin

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2003, 12:51:04 AM »
I try to stay away from heels, but there are just times when the occasion calls for it, and I love wearing them even if it bugs my knees and ankle. So I take some tylenol and try to stay off my feet alot and Im usally fine. Just be careful! I almost fell off a curb.
I hope these replies help.
Erin
7 years left knee pain/popping/giving out
10-20-00 L.knee surgery to tighten knee cap
2 years of right knee pain
9-13-02 Sprained right ankle
6-9-03 Brostrom-gould surgery on right ankle

Offline windbarb

• Forum Faithful
  • They call me Weather Bunny!
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2003, 03:06:46 AM »
Since my surgery, I've felt the same way ... for work and usual daily life, I try to stick to flats or slightly heeled loafers.  But every once in a while, the occasion calls for heels... I say pop a couple of ibuprofen and go for it!  And if you overdo the dancing, don't forget the ice.

Cheers,
Barb
1988-91: LK severe OSD, RK mild OSD
01/91: LK scope-flush. lingering pain
12/02: LK cortisone injection
3/03: LK scope-plica excision, partial synovectomy
11/04: L big toe cartilage/bone repair (fell)
now: L middle toe (broke; lingering pain), RK pain/swelling, neck pain/swelling

Offline Emily

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2003, 05:11:16 AM »
I havent attempted anything high in a long time, just sneakers for now... but if you decide to wear heels you may want to have arch supports or something in them just to give yoru knee a little more support, and of course take pain killers before hand!

Good luck!

Emily
Right Knee- 10-14-03- LR, TTO, Scope, Plica excision
               4-20-04- Scope, screw removal, scar tissue clean up

Left knee- subluxing, maltracking & malaligned-not ready to start treatmet..

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2003, 06:06:23 AM »
You also may want to practice walking in heels at home. You definitely don't want to fall because you're not used to them! Take it easy and have fun.

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.