Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Plate removal - femur  (Read 4357 times)

Offline Tina M

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Plate removal - femur
« on: March 14, 2010, 10:44:59 PM »
I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has had a plate and screws removed following an osteotomy.  I had a distal femoral osteotomy a couple of years ago, the plate was also holding an earlier open wedge osteotomy nearer the hip.  I've had a small plate with 2 srews removed over 20 years ago and recovered within a couple of weeks, this osteotomy is different.  It was a big job, the plate is the full length of the femur and I believe there are about 10 large screws in there.

I wondered whether there is any risk of fracture if such large screws are removed, also how recovery is - weight bearing etc..  I've been told there will be a few cuts.  I obviously should have asked the consultant these questions.  Too late now, I'm listed for the op, so won't see him until the day it happens - hopefully around 3 months time.

Thanks
Tina

Offline Dave B

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Plate removal - femur
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 01:43:37 AM »
Hi I would like to know how your removal went and how you are doing now. Please let me know. Thank you.

Offline Dave B

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Plate removal - femur
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 01:59:59 AM »
The reason I ask is the following. I had a distal femoral osteotomy 10 years ago. I have been doing great. I am celebrating bicicycle commuting to work (3.5miles 1 way) for 2 years this month. I turned sideways as I went to stand and get up from dinner tonight. I felt something buldge on the inside of my leg and it felt bad. It is like a raised lump and resricts my leg to bend. It is scaring me and yet is not particulaly painful. I started researching and it looks to me as if a plate or screw or both have let go and popped out so to speak. If anyone else has had something similar etc I will greatly appreciate your story and information-advice. fyi I am MWM 55 in aveage health somewhat overweight but I can ride 100Km at a 15mph pace any day of the week.