Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: OATS recovery time??  (Read 3665 times)

Offline michelel

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
OATS recovery time??
« on: March 13, 2010, 09:57:17 PM »
Hey yall, been here before :-[.  I had a uni in June has done great no probs.  I fell a few months back and in turn got a focal cartilage tear MFC grade IV.  Great I know I am really pis***.  Anyway OS wants to do OATS I have been trying not to go that route, doin pain killers strengthening exercises, etc.  To no avail unfortunatley.  So I was wandering what the turn around time is on that surgery, I work as a nurse in a docs office, not real demanding on the knees...any help would be much appreciated...
PeaCe
Michele
Right Knee:  1983 meniscal tear scope debridment &lateral release. 1991, 1997, 2001
2003 scope meniscal tears. 
8-08 MFX MFC lesion FAILED.
 4-09 Went in for OATS-not a canidate.
 6-09 Uni Right MFC.

Offline tenisfan

• Regular Poster
Re: OATS recovery time??
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 05:14:42 PM »
I had the oats procedure done in December, was on crutches for 2 weeks and the splint came off in 6 weeks. So far so good everything has gone great!!!   I think it all depends on where and what side the oats procedure is done on. They say the recovery time for complete healing is 6 months to a year. I could not be happier. Could not do a whole lot for the first 2 months, but well worth it for me!!!!!    Kim
2006 right knee surgery, meniscus
2008 left knee lateral release,  meniscus
2009 microfracture left knee, lateral meniscus,  fragment
2009 cartilage transplant oats
2010 loose fragment removal, meniscus fraying,found another defect
2010 oats failed, synvesic injections ,2011 right knee meniscus

Offline michelel

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 09:29:58 PM »
Thanks Kim...I am glad to hear you are doing well with it...continued success in your healing
PeaCe
Michele
Right Knee:  1983 meniscal tear scope debridment &lateral release. 1991, 1997, 2001
2003 scope meniscal tears. 
8-08 MFX MFC lesion FAILED.
 4-09 Went in for OATS-not a canidate.
 6-09 Uni Right MFC.

Offline lostandhopeles

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 01:14:43 PM »
I had oats on left knee may 2009, I am still recovering. I was Non weight bearing for 3 months. I spent may june july and part of August in a wheel chair. This was the worst tome of my life. I was in a CPM machine for 12 hours a day for the first 6 weeks. I went to P/T from the first week for 6 months, followed by work conditioning for a month. I am now 10 months post op. When I saw my O/S a week ago I was told that I will have a permanent restriction of NO kneeling. The O/S said it was ok for me to return to work as a semi driver. When work saw the restriction was permanent they said I was not allowed to return to work again. Now all the legal stuff begins. Good luck   Todd