Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Open Wedge Tibial Osteotomy  (Read 2840 times)

Offline BT

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Open Wedge Tibial Osteotomy
« on: October 01, 2002, 10:42:53 PM »
     I am a 49 year old male who has suffered from knee pain for the past several years. After two scope surgeries failed to provide any long term relief., my orthopedic surgeon has determined that my bowleggedness is increasing and that the best solution is for an open wedge tibial osteotomy. I trust the doctor, but what type of recovery period am I looking at. How long befor I can resume normal activities? (Jogging, exercising, etc.) It would be very helpful to hear from people who have been through this.

Offline also258

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
Re: Open Wedge Tibial Osteotomy
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2002, 07:28:41 AM »
Hi there, I had a open wedge osteotomy in August 2001.  I was zero weight bearing for about 8 weeks.  It took me about 6 months to be back to normal activities.  Jogging unfortunatly still has never happened, and likely will never again.  I am 31, I have had many different procedures over the years.  I had really hoped the osteotomy would be the fix all for me however it was not.  I am now at the point where it is looking like a TKR will be in the cards for me within the next 6 months.

Offline ccf

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2002, 10:12:20 PM »
I'm not sure what an open wedge osteotomy is but I had bilateral high tibial osteotmies 4 and  4 1/2 years ago. Approx. 9 weeks non- wt bearing, 2-3 x per week pt. It was good for about 2 years.
I have never gotten back to "normal". Jogging has always been out of the question. I was told at the time that it was just a stop gap measure to allow me to do ADL's until old enough to have TKR. (I was 50 at the time.) Am currently looking for new os and TKR.
Good luck :)

Offline robert

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2002, 02:48:46 AM »
I too am 49. Had a tib osteotomy on 1st Oct in the UK.
I had to distract the bone for 3 weeks, the leg is now straight. The surgeon says I can now lightly weight bear at 5 weeks, back to see him in 3 weeks. I have to keep the fixator on for 3 months. I now have a 110 degree bend at knee. Loads of exercises. The tibia where broken is healing and the surgeon is confident for full healing at the 3 month period, I hope he is right. My aim is to walk pain free and get back into the gym, who knows I might be able to lightly jog on the treadmill. My surgeon wouldn't recc TKR because of age. I can only hope fpr the best. What about driving, any advise.
Thanks Robert