Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Pre-Opp help  (Read 3746 times)

Offline martynb

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Pre-Opp help
« on: March 11, 2010, 09:44:18 AM »
Guess I should say "hi" first before seeking help!

Walking up a stairs about 3 weeks ago i felt some clicking in my knee and a lot of pain at the same time. At the time i thought nothing of it and just thought it was one of the things. Few weeks went by and it was still doing it and was getting worse. I went to see my GP and first thing he said was physio and then he had a closer look and thought it was best to skip that and go and see a surgeon!!!

Great i thought all! and panic set in. After speaking to my part we decided to pay and go private for a consultation. I see the surgeon Tuesday night and after an few test on my knee he told me a need an urgent opp on my knee as i have a tear meniscus. I cant afford the opp privately so back to the NHS for the opp. The surgeon said he would treat me under NHS as i need it urgently! It looks like an old football injury when i was 16 (now 27) has come back!

so i'm at the point now waiting for an appointment to see him in the NHS. But what can i do in the mean time to help with the pain? been taking Ibuprofen but that just helps with the swelling. I have been Icing every night all so. 

Offline asreid

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Pre-Opp help
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 10:21:09 AM »
Ask your doc for stronger meds if I were you.  Pre op do as much muscle strengthening as you can as it will help post op.

Don't worry about the op.  If it is purely a meniscus problem you will likely walk out of hospital without crutches.  Even if you are on them it will be fopr s short time.

After the op, def follow your PT instructions.  You really want this to be the last thing you need doing and PT is a big help.

Good luck with the op.
L/K Patella & Quadricep Tendon Rpture
R/K Meniscus Tear, PT Tear, Pes and Quad Bursitis
R/K PFJ O/A Grade 3(noyes)
R/K Patella subluxation
R/K Debridement x 4
R/K Bursectomy
lRk ITB Release
R/K Lateral Realease, Microfracture
R/K Aborted Fulkerson
R/K TKR Feb 2009
Now. New Knee - can walk!!

Offline tony1233

• Forum Faithful
  • http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?pid=4026561&o
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 10:21:57 AM »
motrin should help with the pain/swelling
09/30/07 Diagnosed with partial ACL tear (left knee)
02/03/10 American Football injury, Diagnosed with ACL & MCL complete tear (right knee)
(R)lateral meniscotomy 08/11/10
(L) Lateral meniscotomy 10/28/11
(L) MCL & Medial Meniscus tear 07/12
(L) injury 01/23/12

Offline martynb

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 12:33:51 PM »

can you get that over the counter?

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 01:26:28 PM »

can you get that over the counter?

That is an American form of Ibuprofen - an NSAID which you need a prescription for to get any effective help and also a slow-release stomach protection tablet. The extended use of NSAIDs without the protection of the stomach can lead to stomach ulcers and other problems in the gastro-intestinal tract. So you need to be monitored by a doctor if taking them.

MOTRIN tablets contain the active ingredient ibuprofen, which is () - 2 - (p - isobutylphenyl) propionic acid. Ibuprofen is a white powder with a melting point of 74-77 C and is very slightly soluble in water (< 1 mg/mL) and readily soluble in organic solvents such as ethanol and acetone.
MOTRIN tablets, a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID), is available in 400 mg, 600 mg, and 800 mg tablets for oral administration. Inactive ingredients: carnauba wax, colloidal silicon dioxide, croscarmellose sodium, hypromellose, lactose, magnesium stearate, microcrystalline cellulose, propylene glycol, titanium dioxide.

If you could try something like Nurofen Extra Strength (OTC) and if they are not effective get your GP to prescribe something stronger. The use of NSAIDs must be monitored as you will certainly be given some post op. If you do go to the GP for a prescription, be totally honest about what you have tried and how you were using it. There are also some Ibuprofen gels you can buy to rub directly on to the place where it hurts, but be careful when taking any other form of Iboprufen!

Meniscus ops can be a piece of cake as someone says - walk in, walk out. But they can also be a real PITA. Unfortunately, not even your surgeon will know in advance what will be the outcome until he sees the state of your meniscus at the beginning of the arthroscopy. He may hope to get away with a very small trim, in which case, depending on your tolerance of pain, you may walk in and walk out without crutches. He may want to repair the meniscus in which case you will be NWB for a while to allow the repair to stabilize.

Good luck!

1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline martynb

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 01:33:03 PM »
thanks for that! yeah just popped a couple of ibuprofen now!

the surgeon was funny it some ways. Said there was no point in doing an MRI as he would do the opp anyway (he was like the horse wisp-era but with my knee)!

If the pain get worse then i'll pop back and see my GP!

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 04:32:40 AM »
well, if you've got a real experienced doc, he's seen enough to know by symptoms, so he's saving money by not ordering an $1100.00 test, especially when he's certain you need the arthroscopy, which is what the point of the MRI would be - to look for damage to determine if the scope is needed. Most docs these days would order the test anyway, as a form of C.Y.A. because of too many lawyers.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline asreid

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 12:47:01 PM »
MRI's whilst a great diagnostic tool, do not always show everything that is wrong.  The OS can see far better doing an arthroscopy and this also has the advantage of lavaging the joint.  I have always had the torn meniscus removed but if they do try and repair it yo may e waight baring for some time.  Hope it all goes well.  I have juts had a TKR - 18th Feb and am walking around fine. Stay positive and I am sure you will be fine.
L/K Patella & Quadricep Tendon Rpture
R/K Meniscus Tear, PT Tear, Pes and Quad Bursitis
R/K PFJ O/A Grade 3(noyes)
R/K Patella subluxation
R/K Debridement x 4
R/K Bursectomy
lRk ITB Release
R/K Lateral Realease, Microfracture
R/K Aborted Fulkerson
R/K TKR Feb 2009
Now. New Knee - can walk!!

Offline martynb

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2010, 10:58:58 AM »
I thought I would open up my old post save starting another!

Well by this time next week I should be home and resting up!

I went to see the consultant a few weeks back and was told it would either be repaired or taken out but they wont know which one till they take a look inside. I'm a little worried by this as the recovery is longer for a repair.

Guess it will be a nice surprise when I wake up!  ???

Offline martynb

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 02:10:28 PM »
Hi everyone again!

I'll open this up again as for the last year my knee has gone from better to good and back to bad again.

After the opp back in july 2010 they had a look around my knee and just "washed it out" and was left with 2 weeks off, told to walk on it and come back to the clinic. Went back about 7 weeks later with my knee feeling good but did not see a consultant but a health advisor. She told me that the surgery did'nt find much, gave me some re-hab sheet's and sent me on my way. All good I thought and my knee did feel alot better. Spent xmas and new year in Aus (loved the place and cricket was good!) come back and things did'nt feel right. Thought it may have been all the walking and flights playing up but never went away. Back to my GP he sent me back to a differant consultant. MRI, XRay and a phsiyo assentment later I'm going in for another day opp. He old me I have Chondromalacia and they would see if it was possible to do Microfracture the issue.

So opp day was 3 weeks ago today and they did the microfracture. Was signed off for 3 weeks and told not to walk on it for 3 weeks.

Now getting to the question, why was this not found on the first opp a year ago?

Offline kittent1211

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2011, 06:00:01 PM »
My doctor would not give me anything for the pre-op pain.  He said that in his experience, people take the pain med and put off the surgery.  I went in thinking that it was a miniscus tear but it turned out that my cartlidge was worn down to the bone and there was a groove worn in the end of the bone from rubbing.  He performed a microfracture surgery and I ended up being non-weight bearing for over 6 weeks.  The surgery itself was no big deal.  I had a lot less pain after the surgery then I had before it.  I only used 2 of my pain killers after the surgery.  But being non-weight baring on that leg for 6 weeks was a real pain in the butt.  I suggest that you prepare ahead of time by removing all tripping hazzards around your house.  Making sure you have clothes out and ready for any weather change that is going to occure in the next 6 weeks.  Stocking up on read to eat foods and caned and bottled drinks.  Things you can put into a bang that you can carry while hopping on crutches.  Making sure you have all the bathroom supplies you are going to need such as soaps, shampoos and  shaving cream.  Shopping is a real pain when you're on crutches.  Another big big big problem I had was hot to get a shower, how to get into the bath tub when I couldn't put any weight on one leg.  My husband made me a seat out of wood that did the trick.  Make sure you have some one to help you out with laundry and meals and house hold chores like dish washing.  You won't be able to do any of that stuff yourself if you are non-weight bearing.  You need to hope for the best but plan for the worst.  As for your insurance issue, I'm in the US and I'm not familular  with your system so I can't be of much help there.