Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: PRP Injections - UK  (Read 10796 times)

Offline fattusp

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
PRP Injections - UK
« on: November 29, 2009, 10:28:11 PM »
Hi all,

I havnt posted in a while. Just to update I had a torn ACL and damaged femur on my right knee from a rugby injury in Feb 2007. I am 6 operations down, having required an ACL repair revision, cyclops legion removal and most recently a Tru fit plug into the meniscus damage (June 2009).

My knee is in pretty good condition now, except for acute pain on the left side of my knee, for which my surgeon tried the Tru fit plug implant. This has worked to an extent but there is still too much pain to return to sport. Quite frustrating considering that the repaired ligament is now fine and the bone damage has healed.

Anyway to my point. I recently looked into non surgical solutions that could help my problem. I am so close to full fitness as dont want to go for more surgery and more scar tissue if I can help it. Therefore I looked into PRP (Platelet rich plasma therapy).

I suggested this to my surgeon who could not perform the procedure, so I asked him if he knew of Dr. Ralph Rogers at the London Orthopaedic clinic. After investigation my surgeon approved Dr Rogers and I went to see him last week. He confirmed that PRP is rare in the Uk especially to knee injuries but that he would def try to help. At this stage I thought this couldnt do much harm to try so last Thursday I had my first injection of 4 into the knee joint.

I thought I would start this thread as a read for anyone interested in the procedure that could offer me advice or gain advice from me as I experience the ups and downs. I will update this page every week and try to keep anyone interested informed. I think this may be specifically useful to UK members as I couldnt find much UK based information myself.

So.... I had the first injection last Thursday and day 1 and day 2 after injection were fine. Yesterday however was pretty bad, I found it hard to walk on the knee at all. I can only assume (and hope) that this was because the platelets are doing their job resulting in bruising?! But im no doctor so I cant be sure. However, today the knee is better and im hoping after injection 2 this week I should start seeing pain relief.

I will update this week sometime, however if anyone wants to add to the thread or ask questions please feel free. For example if anyone else has had similar treatment or used Dr Rogers in the UK and could add their experiences this would be great.

Thanks all!

Tom

Offline mccartjt

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Re: PRP Injections - UK
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 03:45:41 AM »
Hi Tom

I've had a bunch of stem cells injected into my knee + more recently 2 PRP injections by my local surgeon. I have damage between the rear of my patella and my femur. My surgeon who has given me the 2 PRP injections wants to see me in January 2010. In the mean time I am mean to do a lot of swimming. I'd like to hear how you get on.

My surgeon gave me a study from the American Journal of Sports Medicine showing that PRP not only works for ligaments and tendons but also healing of cartilage. Some of the athletes on the USC Trojans American football team have had grade 3+4 hyaline cartilage lesions and he truly believes that this helps them with their conditions. For me the jury is still out.. However I'll be swimming 3 times a week between now and January 2010 that's for sure.

JM

Offline rob wilson

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 05:27:29 PM »
I have also had stem cells in my knee. It is improving but now my other knee is giving me some swelling. I belive it is plica or synovitis. I hope that PRP might help this. How often can you get the PRP?

John McC - I need to talk to you so can you call me. Thanks
1997-Bilateral debridement
1999-Lt knee trochlea paste graft
2000-Rt knee trochlea paste graft
2000-Lt knee scar
2002-Lt knee ACI biopsy+plica
2002-Lt knee medial condyle abrasion+HGH
2002-Lt knee scar
2003-Rt knee trochlea abrasion+HGH
2005-Lt knee plica
2008 to present-Regenexx

Offline fattusp

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 08:04:11 PM »
Thanks for your replies guys I will update atleast weekly.

My surgeon recommends one PRP injection per week. This gives 3 days of swelling and slight soreneness, then another 4 days to give some healing time before a "top up". However, in my experience im sure you could have as many as 2 prp injections per week and it wouldnt do you any harm. I would suggest changing blood donor sites between arms though or people might start thinking youre a drug addict!

My next injection is Thursday, im still only one injection in and my damage is purely meniscus cartilage, so fingers crossed it works for that!

Cheers

Tom

Offline mccartjt

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 02:01:16 PM »
Tom

I am unsure if doctors realize this but there is a massive amount of information that can be gleaned by reading these blogs of patients stories. I have become more sceptical over time about various doctors claims, however that said, if things seem to have half a chance I'll give them a tryout. Just nothing too wacky is my feeling.

I am convinced that PRP helps ligaments and tendons but for now for me I am not 100% sure that PRP on its own would regrow my cartilage in my knee. My situation is slightly different in that 4 weeks ago I did get fresh stem cells injected into my knee so I am hoping that the growth factors in PRP along with those stem cells do the magic trick, of rebuilding my knee.

Lets all keep monitoring our situations.

JM

Offline pmt

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 06:01:55 PM »
Everyone, I much appreciate the sharing of information.  For what it's worth, I've spoken to 3 doctors about PRP for knee meniscus tears and chondromalacia, and all three have indicated to me that PRP is more effective for tendons.   All 3 also suggested that i "not spend my money" on PRP.  Have gone instead with prolotherapy using human growth hormone on my 4th series of injections after 3 injections of standard dextrose solution.  I'm seeing some improvement, but slower than I'd wish for.  Improvement defined as I can run six miles without pain; but have significant stiffness for the next 3 days with standing after being seated.   From your collective posts, I gather it takes more on the order of 6-8 rounds.  If anyone has positive experience from PRP for meniscus, especially if you can get it fixed faster, please share your experiences.

Offline fattusp

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 12:22:32 AM »
Thanks for all your contributions, once again this forum really helps get some knee discussions going.

Im off for my second PRP injection tomorrow. From my point of view this is the only option I have before another opertion. My damage is so specific and to have come so far in terms of recovery (my initial damage was pretty bad) to be left with such a small area of aggrevation is frustrating to say the least.

I can leg press with a large amount of weight and can cycle etc. I havn tried running since my Trufit plug surgery but I will try again after this PRP course. My pain is really random and I cant predict when it will come or for how long it will last but its preventing me from returning to sport, so the PRP seems atleast worth a try.

I am now one week after my first injection and to be honest my knee has not been this sore in a while! I am hoping this is because the PRP is working its magic, because I havtn exercised at all since the injection and the joint feels badly bruised. Im not a doctor so I dont know how the cells work. I would like to think that the PRP is healing my damaged meniscus on both sides of the joint and hence my joint feels bruised as a result, but who knows! All I know is the joint didnt feel sore like this before. Good news is the soreness gets better every day so something must have happened in there!

Anyway ill update next week after my second injection, I couldnt find any records of people that had PRP so maybe this will help someone else!

Thanks all

Tom

Offline fattusp

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 10:53:37 AM »
Update........

I am now 6 days after my second PRP injection out of 4 (one every Thursday).

I have to say im still cant say what the injections are doing to my knee at this point. The reaction to the injection was the same as the week before. For 2 days after the injection the knee was OK with occasional soreness, then for the next 2 days it was quite sore with what i can onyl describe as bruised feeling on both sides of the knee, this would sometimes cause me to limp for a few seconds if I have been sitting down for a while.

I have researched the internet to try and find some record of knee responses to PRP. This is because I had this soreness before but only at the site of my problem, now it seems to be all over the knee joint line since the PRP (although this does get better about 5 days after the injection). My doctor said that he didnt expect this soreness, therefore I am slightly concerned that if its not the PRP causing it I may have some more damage in there.

It is my hope that PRP in some way triggers bruising in the knee?!! If this is the case then im happy because it shows a response to the therapy, however if it isnt the case then I have more probelms than first thought!

However, I have my third injection tomorrow. I am reserving judgement on PRP's healing abilities until I have finished the 4 injections and have given the knee a few weeks to respond. Until that time I will continue to update this thread with my progress.

Thanks all.

Tom

Offline mccartjt

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 07:56:33 AM »
Tom

Whilst we all want quick results instant regrowth of cartilage in 4-8 weeks that probably isn't going to happen in my opinion. If you do some thorough research it can take up to two years for cartilage to regrow, so may I suggest that you have some more patience with you own body.. In the mean time good luck to you!

JM

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 07:12:28 PM »
Tom,

Any update on this? How did you find Dr Rogers in terms of knowledge/treatment etc? I'm thinking of PRP and he seems to be the person leading this in the UK/London area.

Would be good to know if you felt the course has had a positive or negative effect!

Thanks

Lottie
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline fattusp

• Regular Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 09:45:34 PM »
Hi Lottie,

I dont want to throw dirt on this website but I really feel I need to in this case.

I cant speak for Dr Rogers with respect to other body parts but his treatment of my knee was poor in my experience. He didnt seem to kmnow what he was doing and I often found myself telling him silly things like why MRI's are distorted by pins in the knee, stuff he really should know!

He also told me after a course of 4 injections that he had been injecting in the wrong place! Simply because he hadnt been paying attention to me in our first consultation. He is also chasing me for fees my insurance company wont pay simply because they are rediculous. Unmentionable amounts for the treatment and costs like 90 for a needle, give me a break! Technically I now owe him 90 for this needle which I wont pay simply out of principle, you dont see builders putting 90% mark-ups on bricks!

So in summary, I completely believe PRP is a good option, simply due to the fact that my research said so. But for me I am yet to find and UK surgeon who I trust to perform it correctly. For now im trying prolotherapy with a well respected surgeon.

Hope this helps, let us all know how you get on!

Tom