Advertisement - Hide this advert

Poll

fracture pain feeling

normal
0 (0%)
not good
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Fractured knee cap  (Read 881 times)

Offline sasha87

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Fractured knee cap
« on: March 07, 2010, 06:51:42 PM »
Hey new to forum. I want to ask people as i had fractured knee cap and didn't require the surgery just cast for 5 weeks. They took it off 4 days ago and i find it hard to bend now but it's improving but my question is it normal to still feel bit of pain where fractures was as when the fracture was when you walk?
07/08 dislocated right knee cap
02/09 second dislocation on right knee cap
06/09 artroscope surgery right knee
09/09 acl reconstruction  right knee
01/10 fractured knee cap right knee

Offline AnonNYC

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Fractured knee cap
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 08:09:37 PM »
Hi Sasha,

I fractured my kneecap back in November.  I did not require surgery either - only a brace for 5 weeks.  Since my fracture was not displaced it did not need to be casted.  If you are feeling pain in the knee it could just be because the muscles in the leg surrounding the knee are weak and you need to build them back up, especially your quad.  Are you doing any type of physical therapy? 

If physical therapy is not working and you are finding the pain is directly on the kneecap, I would let your doctor know.  It could be that the fracture is not completely healed and you should have an X-Ray or MRI to determine that.  X-Rays don't always show fractures, so an MRI may be a better bet if you can get your insurance to pay for it.  Either way, you should definitely have it checked out - if the fracture is not completely healed you want to make sure you are not putting too much impact on that knee so that the bone has time to completely heal. 

I went to physical therapy after the brace came off and was having all kinds of pain around the kneecap area.  I finally went back to my dr. and had an MRI.  What the MRI showed was that the fracture was healed but I had scar tissue build up from a previous surgery which now needs to be removed.  I do not want to scare you but it is best to let your doctor know and have it checked out.

Bottom line: It could be simply weakened muscles, it could be the fracture is not healed, or it could be something entirely unrelated... These forums are great but everyone's case is different and best assessed by a medical professional (which I am not).

Good luck!

Offline Patience

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Fractured knee cap
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 07:02:59 AM »
So, Sasha, what happened? Have you spoken to your doctor? What have you found out?

I too just had my plaster cast removed, one week ago, after five weeks. I'm wearing an immobilizing brace for two weeks and am hoping to get the ok for physiotherapy starting next weekend. When I palpate my knee, I also feel some soreness, but since I'm not putting weight on it yet I'm not going to worry just yet.

Good luck and keep us posted!
11/1/2010 - Motorbike accident; fall on L knee; MRI showed minor tear patellar tendon
8/2/2010- Slipped, twisted knee; x-ray showed stress fracture L patella
13/2/2010 - Plaster cast put on; duration - 6 wks
22/3/2010 - Plaster cast removed; removable immobilizing brace put on