Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: brace for runner's knee  (Read 2655 times)

Offline kiarmuid

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
brace for runner's knee
« on: September 25, 2003, 04:35:11 PM »
I've got a half marathon this weekend with a painful left knee -- patellofemoral pain.

Any suggestions for an over the counter brace?  A neoprene sleeve, just a patellar strap, or do braces just not help these things./

I plan to rehab this after the race, so the bracing is a one time deal.

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
Re: brace for runner's knee
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2003, 04:55:52 PM »
It really depends on the cause and location of pain.  For PFS I would suggest a neoprene brace with patellar buttressing either inferior or lateral depending on your symptoms.  If it is more of a patellar tendonitis a simple knee strap should help or even simpler rolling up pre-wrap is cheap and works just as well.  

If you could further describe you location of pain, symptoms, etc.  I could give you a little better idea.
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

Offline kiarmuid

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2003, 06:40:06 PM »
Sorry about the lack of medical terminology but the pain is at the top(not front) of the knee cap, radiating under the knee cap from the top.  When I'm just sitting and my knee burns its more to the inside, upper part of the knee, radiating under the knee cap ( if I'm looking down at my left knee, its southeast of the center of the knee)

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2003, 09:22:44 PM »
A neoprene brace with an inferior patellar buttress should help.  The neoprene will help with compression while the inferior buttress will help control the knee cap.  
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.