Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Here is a fantastic Knee Clinic - Wimbledon Knee Clinic  (Read 2524 times)

Offline kneesurgeonvictim

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Here is a fantastic Knee Clinic - Wimbledon Knee Clinic
« on: July 06, 2010, 11:00:02 AM »
I would like to congratulate Wimbledon Knee Clinic on being a superb organisation that is truly patient centred. When I hobbled in there hardly able to walk after prior experience of knee surgery, the consultant made it clear that he would defintely not operate until I had had a course of physiotherapy to strengthen the knee muscles, since he thought much of the loss of mobility was caused by weakened muscles, and so that - if I did need knee surgery - the knee was sufficiently well supported to recouperate well. The surgeon clearly had the ability to analyse MRI scans, but advised me to wait for a qualified Radiologist to report back. The physio he recommended - Claire - was absolutely brilliant, applying her considerable expertise to my personal circumstances, and ensuring I had a through programme geared towards my current immobile state, and scaling up exercise as my ability increased. I saw the consultant again after Claire had completed the physio report and he then had the MRI report from the qualified Radiologist. He could have had another patient under the knife, but chose the conservative option to see how that progressed before recommending anything more aggressive. Really, having become an expert in Knee Clinics I would say Wimbledon Knee Clinic, Rhiddian Thomas and Claire the physiotherapist should be awarded the equivalent of a Michelin Star for Knee Clinics. It was a considerable relief to happen upon this oasis of considerable expertise and evident motivation to help people regain their mobility, and with a truly patient centred approach. Wimbledon Knee Clinic - a gold standard, patient centred, caring knee clinic with superb, caring, motivated staff (in my view). Thank you. Highly recommended.  :)

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Here is a fantastic Knee Clinic - Wimbledon Knee Clinic
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 01:29:56 PM »
That's wonderful news but what did the mri say?
Feb 08 Inurred right knee
18 months of physio, knee tracking but knee still painful
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.
May 10 Right knee feeling better but left knee causing trouble as a result o

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 10:40:40 AM »
I can walk without pain but with the painful click that manifested itself after the operation and treatment by the surgeon at ******* Knee Clinic and the clearance of cartilage islands in damaged area as part of the cartilage harvest operation to prepare for the MACI operation when I actively extend the knee means I may need another knee operation but am too scared to even consider the possibility. The strengthening of knee muscles by Claire got me from not being able to walk properly to a point where I can walk and slowly jog for short periods without pain, and go up stairs without pain if I support my weight with bannisters. This progress is, to me, considering the mind numbing exruciating pain I was in when trying to climb stairs after treatment at ****** Knee Clinic is little short of miraculous.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 12:52:30 PM by kneesurgeonvictim »

Offline kscope09

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 11:26:32 AM »
What exercises did you do?
Feb 08 Inurred right knee
18 months of physio, knee tracking but knee still painful
Aug 09 Scope - Small tear in acl, fragment found in postereo-lateral compartment, suprapatella and lateral plica and small defect in mfc.
May 10 Right knee feeling better but left knee causing trouble as a result o

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 11:15:37 PM »
I forget the whole list, but it was fairly comprehensive. The simplest one was at the start and involved simply touching the weakened muscles around the knee which had wasted away and making them react as fast as possible - as they were simply not reacting as they should - I had what is termed quad avoidance gait, which was also putting a lot of strain on my other knee. After this, gentle stretching exercise with something akin to a giant elastic band as resistance. Further excercises followed, each designed to strengthen the knee muscles without stressing the knee and provoking a reaction. The tricky thing when you have a knee problem that is made worse by weak muscles is that if you don't exert the muscles, you get no better, and if you do too much you end up with a reaction that takes a few days to recover from and that sets you back. One physio I went too before Claire just said to me I had to walk as fast I could to get the knee muscles working again. Perhaps good in theory, but I couldn't do it as it was too painful. Claire was also a great motivator, which when you are as hacked off as I was, is an essential part of recovery. I have been to many physios over the years, and Claire really is exceptional having a huge depth of knowledge allied with extremely good empathy with her patients. Claire's work gave me back as much functionality as was possible after the cartilage harvest provedure caused me such excruciating pain when islands of cartilage were removed from around the damaged area of cartilage.  :)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 11:19:14 PM by kneesurgeonvictim »

Offline will1129

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 01:29:59 AM »
I hope you get better...I've also been victimized by knee surgery and it's getting worse, so I know where you are at. But I live across the pond so I'm still searching for a good place to go.

Here's hoping we both get better.
Deeply regret having knee surgery...hoping it can be fixed.