Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: *Good* Leg Pain and Walking  (Read 2760 times)

Offline CerkMX

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
*Good* Leg Pain and Walking
« on: March 03, 2010, 02:22:23 PM »
So it'll be 3 years this summer since the injury and it's been a little over 3 months since the hardware removal and I'm starting to have pain in my good leg, in my knee and hip.  I know it's from things just being a bit out of wack...I know that I'm not walking quite right, though you probably couldn't tell watching me walk...that and the muscles and things aren't *equal* on both sides.

Has anyone else had issues like this?  I'm pretty good about training and at home PT but I'm sort of at a loss as to what to do to start fixing this.  I can tell I'm just slightly favoring my good side so it's starting to cause dull aches and soreness on that side.  The last thing I want to do is damage the good leg!!

I'm trying to get my hip on the bad side fully back with thera-band exercises and stretching...I feel like that's the primary issue.

Thoughts??
6/24/07 - Tibial Plateau Fracture - Plate/9 Screws
9/27/07 - PWB
11/07 - Move to one crutch/cane
12/07 - FWB Unassisted
11/11/09 - Hardware Removed

Offline RandB

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: *Good* Leg Pain and Walking
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 04:10:29 PM »
I don't really have any suggestions, but if it were me, I would ask my surgeon for a referral to a physical therapist, to have an evaluation and let them tell me what exercises would help me.  I found PT very important to my recovery, and they have so many exercises available, it would be worth it to get an exercise plan from an expert.  Good luck, hope you see improvements soon!
Type VI Bicondylar tibial plateau fracture 2/28/06
Surgery-L plate and 8 screws, 3/7/06
4 days in hospital
13 days at in-house rehab.
6 mos. PT
Was NWB in wheelchair 6 weeks
PWB 20 lbs only, 4 weeks, on walker
WBAT since then, walker to crutches to cane
walking OK now, stairs still difficult

Offline CerkMX

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 04:34:42 PM »
That's my utlimate intent, but I recently changed jobs and won't have full insurance until June.  I may stop in at my old PT as I still talk to the athletic trainer there now and again.  He helps me out in his spare time now and again.
9/27/07 - PWB
12/07 - FWB Unassisted

Offline digitalrls

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 03:26:09 PM »
I am not at 3 years but 6 months and was going through the same on one side. The fix for me was Vinyasa YOGA (Relaxation thru Motion) Great streching and getting your ROM back. They key on balance  of motion everthing is, left side right side movement.

It fixed me!!

GoodLuck

Offline CerkMX

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 04:41:56 PM »
That's pretty good stuff!  The GF has been trying to get me to go to Yoga with her, maybe I'll oblige ;)
9/27/07 - PWB
12/07 - FWB Unassisted

Offline maryc

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 04:50:23 PM »
The theraband work on your hip adductors is a great idea.  When I was last tested by my PT he found that my adductors were still weak and that was causing me to rely too much on my "good" leg.  Also if you have access to a Wii balance board, the exercises there really helped me get my balance right.
Make sure you are walking all the way "through" your foot on your tpf leg.  Shortcutting this motion can cause increase pressure on the other leg and hip.
And as my PT used to say - posture, posture, posture.
Sending healing rays your way
8/4/07 fell
8/5 diagnosed TPF
8/6 surgery plate and 6 screws
8/12 out of hospital NWM
8/21 staples removed
9/18 OS appt - WBAT with crutches
10/10 - WBAT with cane
10/27 - back to work w/cane
12/26 - no cane, slight limp when tired
1/25/08 - released from PT, no limp
2/3/09 - Released by OS

Offline CerkMX

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 01:21:34 AM »
Can you explain a bit more what you mean by walking 'through' your foot...I know it's just walking completely normal, but what specifically so I can pay attention to it when I walk? 

I've got the Wii Fit but not the balance board (they are different right?)...
9/27/07 - PWB
12/07 - FWB Unassisted

Offline maryc

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 02:44:12 AM »
Walking "through" your foot basically starting your step by setting down on your heel and ending by being on the ball of your foot. Although this video is more concerned about hip movement, if you watch this video, check out the position of the feet You can see that the entire foot is used when you step properly
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3284310961574728985#docid=7951538850575913937

This is another great video that shows how your muscles work together when you walk - when my PT showed me this it really helped me to understand how my exercises were helping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj0BhlVaYHk&feature=related

Another good one that shows how muscles work when you walk - this one really shows why you need to work those hip muscles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV6CAZiv5Zo&NR=1
The balance board comes with wii fit plus. it adds another demienson to your wii fit games,
8/4/07 fell
8/5 diagnosed TPF
8/6 surgery plate and 6 screws
8/12 out of hospital NWM
8/21 staples removed
9/18 OS appt - WBAT with crutches
10/10 - WBAT with cane
10/27 - back to work w/cane
12/26 - no cane, slight limp when tired
1/25/08 - released from PT, no limp
2/3/09 - Released by OS

Offline Pinkie

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 11:57:46 PM »
I'd really recommend you try pilates. My physio suggested it to me as i've been struggling to regain muscle strength and have had hip and back pain due to weakened muscles and bad posture. Pilates focuses on muscle strengthening but is not intensive enought to aggravate the old injury. I swear by it now and it's definitely helped. Good luck, Sarah

support