Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: medical student needs help  (Read 3068 times)

Offline texabba

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
medical student needs help
« on: October 01, 2002, 06:07:56 PM »
Hey there, I'm a medical student in Manchester whose case this week is about a woman with a painful knee. This has brought up a few social issues. I was wondering if anyone is able to help me out with a few. In particular I'm looking at how arthritis and knee replacements have affected people's quality of life. It would be great if people could give me some of their own experiences of living with a knee replacement and what sort of exercise regimens are suited to them.

Kind regards,
Rory

Iona_-Uk

Re: medical student needs help
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2002, 08:15:17 PM »
Hi Rory-

I've not had a KR but just wanted to say there is a lot of experience on here and there will be someone who can help, might be a few days but I'm sure you will find some useful thoughts.

Iona

Offline Shazinoz

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • G'Day from Australia
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2002, 04:53:15 AM »
Again no KR but good luck there are a number of people here that have had them
2 ACL 'reco's', 3 'scopes', Pain, JRA, EDS, RSD, CMP, osetochondral defect & #, synovitis, adhesions, nerve damage, foot drop, MCL damage, tendonitis, fibrosis, ligament damage AGAIN, dislocations +++

Offline Sandy_F

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2002, 04:28:15 PM »
I have had both of my knees replaced.  My right knee 12/98 and my left knee 10/01.  My right knee has quite a long and complicated history and my left knee did not have a long surgical history.  You can email or message me and I can answer any questions you may have.  
Right knee - 14 surgeries including a fulkerson, patellectomy and finally a TKR.  Left knee - Lateral release, microfracture, TKR, then another LR, spacer replacement.

Offline mommandy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2002, 02:24:59 AM »
Hi Rory,
In August of 2000 I had the Synvisc injections in my right knee for severe osteoarthritis.  The shots provided a measure of relief for approximately 5 months.  After the shots wore off I found myself feeling the pain more. In June of 2001 I had a TKN of the right knee.  I know have full range of motion and pain relief.  This did not come without a great deal of work on my part.  I spent the summer of 2001 exercising both my knees with emphasis on the right knee.  I exercised my knee 8 to 10 times a day doing the exercises provided by my "physical terrorist".    Physical Therapy began immediately after surgery with a passive motion machine.  By the time I left the hospital 5 days after surgery I had 90 degrees range of motion in the right knee.  The physical therapist came to my home every other day for approximately 5 weeks.  There was pain along the way but the effort has been worth it.  I would say that my knee was not "normal" until 1 year after surgery even though I was at 128 degrees after 6 weeks.  My quality of life has improved significantly.  I can now tend my rose garden, clean my house, go hiking, or walk the malls for hours.  Before the replacement I would be in pain after about 1 hour of walking and often chose not to engage in activities because of the pain.  Given the choice I would not hesitate to do this all over again--even though recovery is painful and a lot of work.  If you would like to know more you can e-mail me at [email protected]

Offline Grace

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • wish i could fly like superman..or at least walk
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2002, 05:27:07 AM »
I have not had a knee replacement but most of us here have some form of arthritis and just sorting through the posts you should get an idea how al of this affects us...like the weather is making things almost unbearable for some of us!                        - Grace-
8 months of continuous physical therapy
plica excision/ shaving 6-10-02
5 months of agressive physical therapy
modified Fulkerson and lateral release 5-13-03
currently in limbo

Offline pattyann

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2002, 11:27:45 AM »
Try this one for size. I had my knee cap taken out and not replaced! I wish I could help you but I can't even help myself. :-/
« Last Edit: October 25, 2002, 11:28:44 AM by pattyann »
32 year old female with no kneecap.

Offline Sandy_F

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2002, 04:45:19 PM »
pattyann,

I also had my knee cap removed with no replacement.  That knee finally got a replacement.  Its no fun without a knee cap.  If I had known the long term effects from the surgery, I would never of had it.  

I was lucky when my TKR was done, the OS took a piece of the bone removed and placed it inside the patella tendon.  This has given me a *sorta* knee cap back.  It has helped some but I think it is deteriorating and some of my old problems have returned.  They are magnified with having a prothesis.  

So I do understand what you are going thru.
Right knee - 14 surgeries including a fulkerson, patellectomy and finally a TKR.  Left knee - Lateral release, microfracture, TKR, then another LR, spacer replacement.

Offline pattyann

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2002, 07:51:48 AM »
Sandy,
             I'm glad to hear that you have gotten your kneecap replaced. I wished I had that done my self. But had gotten denied disablitiy today. I am so upset right now. I wish that they could walk in our shoes for a day. I bet they would change their minds then. Good luck though on your knee.

Feel free to email me if ya like at:  [email protected]

Pattyann   :-/
32 year old female with no kneecap.

support