Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: staying fit?  (Read 1384 times)

Offline ~*Heather*~

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 4
  • Why me? Why is it always me?
staying fit?
« on: September 24, 2003, 09:45:17 PM »
Most of you know that I am 3 weeks post op from a TTT and quad tendon revision.  I am limited as far as things I can do because I'm braced up and touchdown weight bearing with crtuches. I have a few weeks left of this. URGGG!

I was wondering if there were any ideas on how to work out your abs while in this condition?  I do light weights for upper body at home but I can't seem to find a way for the abs that doesn't make the quad tense up.  Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Heather  
R knee-2 LR's, 1 ITB Release. L knee-LR/medial plication (2/02).Fell postop 3/02 & ruptured quad tendon.Quad tendon repair (8/02).Led to Patella Baja.TTT w/ Quad tendon reefing 9/03.Screw removal 8/04

Offline Jillian24

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: staying fit?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2003, 10:16:54 PM »
Heather,
  I don't really have that good of advice. I just did cruntches when I was post op, but I wasn't as limited as you. I was touch weighbearing as well but didn't have hardware. I could do them with my leg straight so it wasn't that bad. I am sure the PT may some ideas...Good luck, and I think it's great that you doing what you can.... Keep it up!     Jillian
ONE TTT LAST OCT
10 LR'S    ONE MEDIAL RELEASE
STAPH INFECTION.....MANY MONTHS IN HOSPITAL

Offline ~*Heather*~

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2003, 10:26:53 PM »
Jillian,

I'm not in PT yet.  I could be, but the hassle I have to go through to get there isn't worth the degree of actvity I can do. Just quad sets and 30 degrees ROM.  I can do that at home and save my visits for the hard stuff.  

Here's what getting to a qualified PT entails:

I have to get a referral from the PCP on base to the base PT facility. It takes them 48 hours  to get it in the system.  Then I have to wait to be evaluated by the base PT people to be referred out in town because they can't help me (not equipped at this base).  Another 48 hour wait time. Then I have to wait to for the PT out in town to get me in.  Heck, I'll be seeing my OS before I get through that mess.  Also, I threw a fit at the base PT when I was going for E-stim way before surgery. They are horirble and have NO bedside manner and i told them about it.  I have been to so many PT clinics I KNOW how they should treat patients. My husband went up there and told the head commander he was going to the hospital administrator for the way I was treated. It's really a long story....too much drama for one post!

How did you hold your leg straight without tightening the quad? Or were you allowed to tighten the quad?  
I have one of those ab things and even keeping my legs straight resting on the floor I still feel the quad tighten and it stresses it too much. That's bad form for abs, but I'm trying anything to get a burn!

Maybe I just have too much time on my hands???  

Heather
R knee-2 LR's, 1 ITB Release. L knee-LR/medial plication (2/02).Fell postop 3/02 & ruptured quad tendon.Quad tendon repair (8/02).Led to Patella Baja.TTT w/ Quad tendon reefing 9/03.Screw removal 8/04

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2003, 10:39:55 PM »
Heather,

First of all, there are LOTS of things your PT can be doing to help with swelling and stuff--jobst (I *think* that's how it's spelled) gentle e-stim with ice, ultrasound...all of these were a godsend to me after my surgery.  The PT also did patellar mobilizations to address the baja....not so fun, in fact downright nausea-inducing, but again REALLY important for preventing further scarring.

Second, a PT could help you with other stuff that won't stress your knee.  One of the best things is an arm bike--what a workout!  You sit on a chair and use the arm bike, it is a GREAT cardio workout.  I also have a tape for upper body and ab stuff, but agree that many ab things stress the quad.  The only way I found is to lie on my back and put my legs bent to 90 degrees on the couch.  I could do little crunches that way without tweaking the quad.

Anyway, hopefully you're doing well in the forced inactivity after surgery.  You had a major operation, so don't be too hard on yourself.  I've gained 30 pounds since this whole knee thing began, and I hate to even look in the mirror--but I stopped beating myself up over it because there is literally NOTHING I can do.  Without exercise, all I can do is really watch what I eat and hope to hold the line.  It's so depressing.....

Hang in there--you WILL be better soon.

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline ~*Heather*~

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2003, 10:59:59 PM »
Heather (two of five) that was hilarious!

I know therapy could be very beneficial for me right now, but my OS doesn't really want me doing anything at all. He was torn between letting me go at all or just waiting it out for another month.  He doesn't want me to do ANYTHING but ice and ROM to 30. He was a little off about even letting me tighten the quad at all for the quad set. I am only supposed to tighten barely and release. No holding or force.  This is another reason I opted to wait to go and just do it on my own.  I don't  the therapists to push me too hard and they have been known to do that. I'm kind of torn, but your post pursuaded me to go ahead and get started.

His main concern was the tighteness when I start PT for real.  He didn't want to set me back as far as that goes.  My leg atrophied even more this last 3 weeks.  It's a twig. It's so sad that in 3 weeks I lost all of what I worked a whole year to gain.  I couldn't even lift the leg press sled before surgery. It was too heavy.  That was and will be my biggest obstacle.  I'll get there though.

The arm bike...Oh I remember seeing that and watching the people sweat like mad!  Too bad I have to save my arms since they are my legs right now. The weights I'm doing at home are good. 15 pound curls each arm is all.
My upper torso is small so it burns out fast. I just always had muscular thick legs. Now I'm down to one muscular leg. LOL!  

I haven't gained any weight through this whole thing, maybe 5 pounds or so. I had lost 10 last surgery so I'm still right where I need to be or 5 under.   I'm 5'6" at 122 so i'm okay (for now).   Just worried it'll all catch up with me.  I have no energy really, just want to sleep and EAT.  Depression or recovery? Who knows?

Thanks again for your responses. I will go ahead and start therapy to get more ideas and to keep semi-active. Oh and my swelling....best yet.  I have never had this little swelling after a surgery. Not even after a scope!  If I'm up too much of course it's a water balloon, but usually it looks good. *Counting my blessings*

Take care and again thanks for the responses,

Heather B.  <--maybe initals will help along with the numbers?  

Offline anasta5ia

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2003, 11:36:04 PM »
Heather-

I have found that like the other Heather I can only do little crunches while lying on the couch with my legs up on a pillow.  It doesn't do great, but anything at this point is a plus.

Other than that, you will pretty much have to wait until you are able to do some stuff with the quads.  But, when you are able to start some of this stuff, I would recommend using a Flex-a-ball to do the ab workout.  The results are great with it and it helps a lot with the quad muscles as you use them to stabilize yourself on the ball.

I know what it is like to not be able to do much though.....I am happy cause I have lost about 25 pounds since my last surgery, but I would really like to work more on my abs and stuff.

-Heather G.
Rt. knee-plica resection, LR, 4 TTTs, MPFL repair & 2 MPFL reconstructions
Lt. knee-2 TTTs, & 2 MPFL reconstructions...
Scheduled for bilateral hardware removal, lt. knee TT revision, MPFL recon and LR recon with new wonderful surgeon.
Plus 9 other orthopedic surgeries

Offline ~*Heather*~

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2003, 12:06:44 AM »
Heather G.

Thanks for the input. I have seen people doing the ball and envied them.  I know it does wonders but with my kneecap in the position it was, I couldn't stabilize myself enough to join them...lol. I did try though and rolled right off.  ;D  

I'm making a list of things I want to accomplish. Just little goals to help me feel every tiny improvement. Naturally, I started with the BIG ones though.  I'm 27 now and by the time I'm 30 I want to have gone up the stairs using only my legs (no handrails!) do the leg press with actual weight and now I'm adding the ball! Also walking with a normal gait, but that may be the longest.  Those are my big ones.  

Thanks again to all of you for always being there to lend a listening ear, empathetic heart and a helping hand.  You guys are the best!

Heather B.

support