Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Cartilage allograft-waiting for a donor-what is the average wait time  (Read 3593 times)

Offline reepler

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Was wondering about the average wait time for donor cartilage?  I had carticel implant on my right knee 10 years ago.  Was in a study program for the procedure.  Ended up with a high tibial ostomy too, very long rehab.  Now that I'm in my 40's, my options are for a donor allograft.  I have two defects that was found last October during a cleaning session with fluid removed in January and a cortisone shot placed.  This is not the carticel knee but the other knee.  Would like to know how donor allografts with articular cartilage has went for others.  What is the average wait time for finding a donor?  I wasn't this stressed with the carticel because I was getting my own cartilage back.  I already have the fluid back with poor range of motion.  I know I'm in for the long haul but would like to know how it went for someone else that has had the procedure done.  They have come a long way since I had my carticel on my right knee placed.  That procedure made all the difference in my function of my right knee, now if I can get the left one going!  Does anyone think this is a moral issue in receiving donor cartilage?  It is becoming a mental issue with me besides the physical stuff going on.

Offline tenisfan

• Regular Poster
Re: Cartilage allograft-waiting for a donor-what is the average wait time
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 01:28:05 AM »
Hi Reepler,

I had my surgery in december, and I only had to wait 3 weeks. I know it can be longer, but i was very lucky. I was only on crutches for 2 weeks, and so far so good Just saw my doctor today and it has healed great no real problems, except my knee buckled the day after my brace was taken off and a peice of cartilage has made its way into a groove which he says needs to be taken out, but other than that i have been so happy with everything. I only had one plug, done and it looked perfect on the xrays today. I am thankful for the donor, it has helped so much!!!!!!! :)
2006 right knee surgery, meniscus
2008 left knee lateral release,  meniscus
2009 microfracture left knee, lateral meniscus,  fragment
2009 cartilage transplant oats
2010 loose fragment removal, meniscus fraying,found another defect
2010 oats failed, synvesic injections ,2011 right knee meniscus

Offline blometti

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Cartilage allograft-waiting for a donor-what is the average wait time
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 02:36:42 AM »
Reepler
I am currently 3 weeks post op from the very surgery you are asking about. Your wait time will depend on what type of allograft your doctor wants to use. A frozen allorgaft wait time will be much shorter. Mine was a fresh allograft, and I had to wait almost 5 months, doc said that the average is about 6 months. Then I had about a week from when I got the call to have the surgery.  Im not sure about the post op rehab for your other surgery, but I am non weight bearing for a min of 3 months, so the allograft doesnt get damaged.  In the end I ended up getting 3 very large plugs, along with a microfracture on the tibia.
Like Kimbo, I am so thankful for my donor. This person was able to to make the lives of many people so much better, including myself.
Make sure that you do your research on your doctor. Im in NJ, and found that there are not many doctors willing or able to do this type of operation.
Feel free to ask any questions or advice!!
how is the Caricel knee holding up?