Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Post Carticel rt knee 10 years ago, now waiting on donor allograft for left knee  (Read 1431 times)

Offline reepler

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
10 years ago, I was on the knee guru searching information on carticel implants.  Had the procedure done with a high tibial ostomy.  It was a long healing process but very sucessful.  I was actually part of the STAR study for this procedure.  Well, now having issues with my left knee.  Had a scope last October and physician found two defects, cleaned them and was hoping for the best.  Had fluid drained off in January with a coritsone shot placed.  It helped for about a month.  I'm now on the waiting list for donor cartilage for a transplant.  The physician doesn't want to try carticel, again, because I'm in my 40's now.  They did mapping for the grafts and said it could be two weeks or six months until a donor is found.  My curiousity got the best of me and I have been looking at websites to get additional information on this procedure.  It kind of grosses me out thinking that I am waiting on a donor.  It was different when I was getting my own cells back.  I am not looking forward to the rehab again.  The working world has changed over the past 10 years and getting back to work as soon as possible is a necessity but I don't want a rejection either and have no option but a TKR.  I would like to hear from someone that has had donor transplants and how it went.  Again, my carticel implants went really well but it was a long road to get back on my feet!

Offline Mikes_Knees

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Sorry I can't help your particular question but maybe you can give me some insight.  I have had the Carticel procedure suggested to me by my surgeon and I'm a bit concerned.  I'm concerned about several things ..........how much pain were you in (I guess that's all relative) but I have heard "pain pumps", etc......   How long were you out of work (that will be problematic potentially for me). 

Hope you were able to sort your issue out.

Thanks,
Mike

Offline slyguy1

• Regular Poster
Just curious....being in your 40s means it's a contraindication for carticel? Also how is the carticel knee after 10 years? Were you able to anything high impact?

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
If you want to get a message to reepler, you will have to send a PM as they have not logged in again since February 2010. At least with a PM they will receive an email notifying them of the message (assuming the email account is still functioning)

1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee