Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: magic mri (insert dripping sarcasm)  (Read 3791 times)

Offline amoler

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: magic mri (insert dripping sarcasm)
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2011, 02:29:57 AM »
I did actually spend a couple of minutes looking at that website.  ???  It's starts out with pay us $25/month for a list of drs who might help you - but only if you have xrays/mri's and certified statements from other drs verifying your pain. Sounds very creepy  and scam worthy and also impossible, since everyone of the very few people who will even speak to me claims there is nothing wrong with my knee but arthritis and there I shouldd just suck it up and learn to live with the pain. But thanks for the info.

Up until the past year, and the two injuries November &July. I used to walk 500-600 miles a year. Now a couple dozen steps is it, before I'm gritting my teeth and trying not to hyperventilate
'77- Rt knee menicus tear
'90 -2nd menscus tear
'91 -failed arthroscopy/partial menisectomy
patella dislocation 10/ 2010
Dx = grade 4 chondromalacia + synovitis + Meniscus tear + lax strained medial ligaments
Fall down the stairs 7/20/11 - mcl sprain + 2 meniscus tears

Offline subwayknees

• Regular Poster
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2011, 03:36:56 PM »
So sorry it did not help,  I actually looked at it after i read your post as I have been in a great deal opf pain the last few days and find diffculty sittin at my computer desk.

If they show a phone number you may want to call and see if they would at least take a fresh look at your moi.  If your acupuncture dr. saw something in it these people may also, and you do have records showing you state you have pain.  Maybe if you could get a call through you could explain  and say why you can't get that letter and ask if they would do an independent analysis with your mri and records at least stating you say you are experiencing pain.  It may be worth a phone call or email.

If you want to ask the person who has used them from north dakota if you email me at [email protected], I will reply with her email and you can speak directly to Julie who has used them, it might be worth at least a call.  She is a phd music therapist at a behavioral health center and I do not think she would deal with a scam outfit, but I know her not the people on the site.

I know what pain is, I have been asked by my new orthopedic surgeons nurse to start a pain log making noe every four hours of activities, medications taken and pain on the one to ten scale.  This morning I woke and was starting the day at about 8, which is high for me that early in the day.  My onlu option was to take my maximum allowed dose of a total of 90mg morphine at one time to try to get ahead of the pain and when I do that my day is over because that high dose brings me into like a morphine haze.  I would just suggest that you focus on finding a new doctor to begin fresh wiht, unless you live in a very rural area or are locked into an HMO that seems like your best option.  Find a new Family Practice doc, ask for a referral to a different pain management practice and get started fresh or even start directly with a new orthopedic surgeon because it seems you are at a dead end and it is not reasonable to live the way you are.  You have to remember that although doctors perscribe meds when it comes down to it WE emply them and if you do not get a reasonable response from your doctor fire them and get a new group, it happens every day.  In my case I have fired two surgeons, (well they fired me too) because I just did niot feel safe or right having them perform major surgery on me.  Each doctor has a different point of view, I have had a few almost guarantee that only amputation will help solve my pain issues and others who say they think I can get relief from a revision,  I simply have to find the besty one I can who has the most experience and decide if I should put myself in the position of risking a major revision and then if it fails another surgery for amputation, or just get rid of the leg and move on, or should I say roll on.
In the end if I were you, and I think I have a lot of experience after 50 years dealing with knee surgeries and replacement I would simply call the nearest University Hospital I could find, ask for the names of their top knee surgeons and make an appointment to see that person.  I know just from this site there are many people that are forced to travel hundreds of miles or more to seek the right doctor that can help them so long as you are not tied to an HMO I would do just that and if you are tied to an HMO I would scream like heck for them to get me to a new set of docs.  You seem to have lost a lot of quality of life and you will need to take control to gain it back.  If you want julies email just drop me one on the above noted site and I will send it to you, I do not want to post hers publically but I asked her if I could give it to you and she said ok.  Otherwise hit the phones and call the closest Medcal School teaching hospital and begin to get your life back.  If you live on the East Coast or Mid West the number one rated hospital in th USA for orthopedics is The Hospital For Special Surgery in New York City, and thier top knee man is Dr. Russell Wilson.  If you could afford it I would get there for a day, there also happens to be a gem of a hotel just a few blocks from the Hospital where you can get a good clean room for under $130.00 a night, a steal in New York, I use it six or seven times a year when I go to New York for The Metropolitan Opera, in fact I have an appointment with the doctor there the afternoon before an October 26 Met performance, I figure if I will be in New York anyway I might as well see him if I don't decide on the Redskins doc before, either way i see no harm in seeing him since I would not have any surgery till January as I have Met tickets for October, Nov and December and do not want to throw thme away and would not be able to go for many months after a revision.
God Speed

Offline amoler

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2011, 10:15:22 PM »
I quit. I just plain quit. I finally got to see an ortho. He condescended to write a Rx for an NSAID. It told him I'd tried Voltaren and it didn't do anything. So he wrote me a Rx for Arthratec. What utter moron who does orthopedics for a LIVING doesn't realize that different drug compaines manufacture the same thing (in this case diclofenac) under different trade names??? >:( >:( >:(
It took me exactly 30 sec of checking on the net (to make sure if wasn't one of the mass hoard of drugs I allergic) to discover this. This guy was a total twit.
'90 -2nd menscus tear
Dx = grade 4 chondromalacia + synovitis + Meniscus tear + lax strained medial ligaments

Offline subwayknees

• Regular Poster
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2011, 11:29:36 PM »
I am really sorry about the problems you are having.  All I can suggest is a totally fresh start outside of the network you are presently utilizing.  If it were me I would travel up to several hours to get to a University oriented practice and see what they say.  It does not seem like you have any choice as for whatever reason the people you are seeing do not want to give you proper pain relief.  If they are all connected by a referral system that may be your problem.  I know of people who have actually had to drive several hours to get out of a specific town or area where they felt they counld not get proper treatment since all the docs in that area were somehow connected and no one wanted to take the lead iwith a patient and over ride the other.  It seems the only option is to drive to a University Hospital.  Even with The Hosp for Spec. Surgery I did not need a referral even though I had one, I know another person who called the University of Pittsburgh Shadyside Center, another top system and got an almost immediate appointment with their top knee man Dr. Fred Fu with no referral needed.  These are all top men and you can simply call the med univ. centers and get an appointment and bypass you local docs.  In the meantime if you wish email me and I wioll give you julies email who uses that site.  I may not get back right away as I have been having a real bad day with 600mg morphine not even touching my pain

Offline amoler

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2011, 11:29:19 PM »
I've been poking medical people with a sharp stick to get somebody/ anybody to actually look at the mri images and not the stupid erroneous reports.  ;D I am vindicated !!!!

I was told the secret is to walk into a hospital radiology dept with my disk of images in hand and ask for an over-read. Voila! 5 days later I learn I have an MCL sprain, small synovial cysts behind both medial and lateral menisci ( and an old healed fracture I never knew I had) Yeah I still have the whole lack of articular cartilage thing going but I already knew that.

Now the question is - what do I do? It still hurts - bad. And I've been hobbling around it for weeks, because all the idiots swore there was nothing wrong but arthritis. I'm wondering how much extra damage I've done, or how badly I've hampered any healing that might have occurred. All the reference stuff I've located on the web implies I shouldn't have been walking on it much at all for somewhere between 10 days and 4 weeks. I've also seen implications that I should have locked my brace so I only had a small ROM, to protect the ligament as it tries to heal.

I would like to kick multiple people up beside the head for blowing me off everytime I tried to give them information about where the pain was and how it was dramatically different then previous pain. I'm a chemistry professor - I'm not that stupid.
'90 -2nd menscus tear

Offline subwayknees

• Regular Poster
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2011, 03:46:30 PM »
Good show, I am glad you took charge.  Since you have a basic diagnosis and don't yet have a doctor you trust, you may want to go to a physical therapist and ask what they suggest.  I do not know if they can impliment a pt program without the ok from a doctor, but if you know someone who is a physical therapist you might ask them if this is the type of injury that usually resolves itself over time or if the norm is surgery.  At least that would give you an idea where to go next.

Frankly, although painful a sprain or pull does not seem to be too difficult to deal with or too serious.  As far as a cyst, I had a painful bakers cyst on my good knee once and was told to leave it alone and it is fine now, but I cna't give an opinion for what that is worth on the cyst.  It seems that you are not in too much trouble and my just have to take it easy, use a proper hinged brace that will help with stability and wait it out.  Good luck

Offline amoler

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2011, 05:13:00 PM »
In Virginia most PT's won't even talk to you without a dr's order, and they defintely won't give you an assessment.
'90 -2nd menscus tear