Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: 2 WEEKS OFF AFTER ACI SURGERY?  (Read 23851 times)

Offline LILS

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: 2 WEEKS OFF AFTER ACI SURGERY?
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2010, 01:28:46 AM »
Thanks Christine for the insight. I've never heard of an AMZ either. I've just seen some people mention them along with having ACIs. I looked it up and it stands for anteromedialization. Don't ask me what it means though. I've never heard of TTO either. I had to look that up and I still don't know what it means  ???. Did they cut a part of your bone also? The farthest I got with learning about the HTO of my surgery is they cut out a wedge of bone and add a metal plate/screws to keep pressure off the defect side of my knee. That's about all I got out of researching that. I've had many months to research ACI and I pretty much get the idea, but when they sprung the HTO part of it on me yesterday, I'm somewhat lost. My OS tried to explain, but it didn't quite compute. I like to read people's blogs on their day to day experiences with their surgeries. It helps me see things that I may not have thought of. Anyway, I got my toilet seat riser today, so I'm pretty happy about that  ;D . Glad your surgery went well and I hope your swelling/ROM gets better. I plan on posting my experience after my surgery on here too, just to give the next "newbie" some info/guidance, as everyone has done for me. 1 week to go.
Mar 16, 2010 ACI/HTO Surgery
May 26, 2009 Microfracture Surgery/ACI Harvest
2003 Medial Meniscal Tear Repair

Offline ajschnelk

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2010, 05:09:02 AM »
You may want to check out the  "Changing the forces through the joint" section of this forum to find out more about HTO, TTO, TTT, etc.  I had and AMZ along with my ACI back in December.  I didn't have alignment problems, but was done to offload the patella to increase the chances of the aci being sucessful.  Many people have just a HTO, TTO, TTT, etc. before a cartilage defect forms due to aligment problems. 

Offline cfranc

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2010, 03:12:08 PM »
Hey LILS..

An HTO and TTO are essentially the same...breaking and realigning a part of the tibia to better align your knee and thus reduce the pressure on your joints.  Although they are in probably slightly different areas, I believe the only real difference may be how they reattch them.  With the TTO, I only have 2 screws (no plate). 

The big thing with a HTO/TTO is that they are cutting into bone, which initially can be much more painful than other procedures.  The good news is that there are excellent new drugs out there  8)  Make sure you ask for a pain blocker after surgery, although I assume most OS' in this age probably already do it automatically.  It is an injection that essentially will block most pain or significant feeling for up to a good 24 hrs...mine seemed to have lasted a bit longer even.

I mean I actually woke up from surgery feeling absolutely great...just a little groggy.  And if it wasn't for the nurses coming in my room every 10 minutes I would have slept like a baby!

The PT protocols I believe can be somewhat different with an HTO/TTO too.  I am touch down weigh bearing only and can not begin SLR (straight leg raises) until after the first 6 weeks.   

The one real side effect of a TTO is that the area around the break is forever sensitive or at least has been on me.  I.e. careful not to bang that area on a chair or table.  Your neighbors will hear you from miles away...
Jan 1991 Lateral release
Nov 1997 VMO/Lateral release
April 1998 scope to remove bone chips
Feb 2002 VMO/TTO
Oct 2009 Biopsy for ACI
Feb 3, 2010 ACI/TTO

Offline cfranc

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2010, 03:15:02 PM »
Hey LILS ...

One more suggestion before going in....check your cupboards for all the miscellaneous necessities you shop for on a regular basis and stock up.  That way you don't have to worry about shopping for awhile. 

Also, see if you can get your OS to get you an icing system called 'game ready'.  It made a big difference for me. 
Jan 1991 Lateral release
Feb 2002 VMO/TTO
Oct 2009 Biopsy for ACI
Feb 3, 2010 ACI/TTO

Offline Rennschnecke

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2010, 10:52:12 PM »
Sorry to put a dampener on things but not all surgeons arrange for a nerve block to be given.  Some people also report running out of pain meds sometimes.  It's never happened to me as my GPs just write a script whenever I as, but it's probably worth checking to ensure you don't need ER.
1/05 Ski accident: 5/05 ACLr LK; 10/06 Scope debridement, trochlear cartilage lesion (Gr4); 12/08 Scope chondroplasty, hematoma; 5 & 6/09 MACI patella & trochlea 'kissing lesions', ROM 0 to 80; 9/09 Scope LOA, IPCS & patella infera; 9/10 Scope AIR & LR.

Offline LILS

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2010, 02:56:05 AM »
Thanks everyone for the great advice/info. I'll check out some of the HTO info. I will be getting a nerve block for this surgery; had them the last 2 surgeries also. I work in the hospital that I will be getting the surgery in, so they take very good care of me. I have always gotten a private room when I've stayed over night, since I know the majority of the people that work there, which is cool. Hopefully, I get one next week, since I have to stay overnight for pain control. I probably just jinxed myself and will be in a room with a loud, whiny patient. Speaking of whiny, I am still scared to death that I am going to fall again like I did after my last knee surgeries. I have super anxiety about that.

Anyway, I have an ice system called Polar Care 300. I had it from my last surgery. I didn't know such a thing existed; it's pretty cool. I will have enough pain meds and if by chance I run out, I'll just send my husband to get more. He works in the same hospital as I do. Since pain meds were brought up, does anyone have preferences on that? In other words, has anyone had better luck with one med versus another? I'm mainly talking about the initial pain meds for the first few days. My OS asked me which ones I wanted, so I told him whichever one he suggests. He suggested Vicodin or Percocet, so I just picked Percocet. He said he would also sew my knee up versus stapling it. He even said he would do the plastic surgery type of sewing, so I wouldn't have a huge ugly scar. I told him it didn't matter since my knees are still fat and ugly without any scars.

Offline cfranc

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2010, 05:33:08 PM »
We all have the legs modeling agencies drool over  :D

As for pain meds, whatever you can tolerate.  Just depends on the person and how they react.  I had a morphine drip initially, then a mix of oxycotin and codeine.   Although I've had success with morphine in the past, it didn't sit well with me this time.

I've also had oxycotin in the past that killed my stomache after a few days...but have never had issues with codeine.  So I used a mix of both oxycotin and codeine at home.  1 oxycotin to get me through the day and my cpm machine and then 2 codeine before bed and usually another two sometime in the middle of the night.

In general though...I found overall the pain was much less than expected and tolerable.  So don't lose any sleep over it :)  Plus if you are overnighting it they can always adjust as necessary. 

Good luck!  Best wishes and let us know how you are doing after surgery. 
Jan 1991 Lateral release
Feb 2002 VMO/TTO
Oct 2009 Biopsy for ACI
Feb 3, 2010 ACI/TTO

Offline Recovering Runner

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2010, 07:09:25 PM »
If you were having an aci alone, two weeks off would be difficult, but doable. The osteotomy is much more painful a d requires more recovery time than the aci,though. I had an osteotomy AMZ and denovo nt (similar to aci). I took 2.5 weeks off after surgery, but really should have taken more. It was doable with a desk job, but it really takes the energy out of you just sitting up after that surgery.

The driving will be very tough with your right leg. Be careful. Good luck. 

Offline kralldaddy

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2010, 02:34:40 PM »
It like my mind has been read with this string. 

I just found out that I won't be having a HTO, but I was expecting one all along.  For my biopsy and menicus repair back in Nov, I just had vicoden, (I didn't feel it did much and was off in couple days)  Mostly just used to help sleep.  This Time the Dr. is recomending Oxy and potentially a Nerve Block.  The Nerve Block's got me little worried, but would be interested in your thoughts since you've had that before.
3/10 ACI
11/09 Menicus Repair/ACI Biopsy

Offline cfranc

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2010, 04:43:27 PM »
I've heard there can be some side effects of nerve blocks..but never really did any research on it.

For me, I couldn't have been happier with the nerve block and would never have another major surgery without it! 

One of my biggest anxieties about surgery has always been the immediate aftermath...the nerve block certainly changed this for me.  I felt great after surgery.  My friends visiting afterwards couldn't believe how awake and comfortable I looked. 
Jan 1991 Lateral release
Feb 2002 VMO/TTO
Oct 2009 Biopsy for ACI
Feb 3, 2010 ACI/TTO

Offline LILS

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2010, 12:12:00 AM »
kralldaddy,
    The nerve block was excellent for pain relief. I HATED the fact that when I tried to stand up and balance myself (like toe down), my leg completely collapsed, since I couldn't feel when my toe was touching the floor. It became complete Jello. It literally looked like I had no bones in that leg when I went down. This happened to me for both of my knee surgeries. This is why I have EXTREME anxiety about going through that again. I'm terrified of the crutches again. My mind cannot seem to understand that I cannot try to put that foot down at all, especially when I can't feel my entire leg! With my last nerve block, the upper part of my thigh was numb for at least a month. I could literally pinch myself and not feel it; weird, but that wasn't a big deal. Anyway, my surgery is tomorrow and it's crazy that the only thing I'm really worried about are getting on those damn crutches again  :'(

Offline kralldaddy

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2010, 03:03:10 PM »
Thanks for the feedback on the Nerve block.  Best of luck tomorrow. 

I'm one week out and starting to get nervous myself.

Kralldaddy
3/10 ACI
11/09 Menicus Repair/ACI Biopsy

Offline LILS

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2010, 01:41:47 AM »
Had my surgery (see other post) and there is no way I can see myself going back to work after only 2 weeks. I can barely get out of bed 4 days post op. We'll see....maybe miracles will happen in the next week and a half.

Offline cfranc

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2010, 03:56:45 PM »
Hey LILS ..

Glad to hear you are through the surgery.  Week 1 was pretty tough...hard to move without pain and generally uncomfortable. 

The good news...is by the time you are into your second week you should start feeling a lot better.  As I said, I was able to come off meds fully by the end of the second week. 

I am now at 7 wks post op..and things are starting to look up.  I had some startling pain in my knee for whenever I moved but within just days of me being able to work on SLRs and get some muscle back it disappeared almost entirely.  And the stronger I get my quads the better it feels. 

I would begin working those quads as soon as your OS allows.  Also key is doing your ROM exercises.  Unfortunately after wk 5 I couldn't get any additional ROM (stuck at 90) and will now be going in to remove scar tissue.  Kind of a bummer as I am just beginning to get muscle back and come off the crutches.  But I guess it is only a small set back. 

Hope you are keeping sane! 
Jan 1991 Lateral release
Feb 2002 VMO/TTO
Oct 2009 Biopsy for ACI
Feb 3, 2010 ACI/TTO

Offline LILS

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2010, 08:25:00 PM »
Hi cfranc,
    You're right, I'm 9 days post op and feel better already. I guess miracles are happening. I still have bruising and swelling, but it is not that bad. I had my first PT appt yesterday and my PT doc was very happy with my progress. I expected to be tortured, but she said I was progressing so well on my own, that there wasn't much for her to do. Of course when I become weight-bearing in 4 1/2 wks, all that will change  :( Glad you're progessing well too. I'm sorry that they have to go back in to remove scar tissue. Hopefully that will be a quick recovery. I noticed you said before you were in the US; what state? I'm currently stationed in Mississippi. I did end up getting the Game Ready System and it has worked wonders. I thought I would just be using the ice system I had before, but I guess they thought this would be better, which it is....too bad I can't keep it. I'm off the narcotics and only take Tylenol. I hated the way the narcotics made me feel. My dogs hate my crutches. They take off running anytime I start crutching their way. It is ruining our relationship. LOL.