Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 2 WEEKS OFF AFTER ACI SURGERY?  (Read 23808 times)

Offline cfranc

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: 2 WEEKS OFF AFTER ACI SURGERY?
« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2010, 05:28:54 PM »
Hey LILS..

My PT recommended a nature anti inflamatory today...IbuActin.  I am going to try it.  I'll let you know if I think it helps.  It has Turmeric and Bromelain which are supposed to help with swelling.
Jan 1991 Lateral release
Nov 1997 VMO/Lateral release
April 1998 scope to remove bone chips
Feb 2002 VMO/TTO
Oct 2009 Biopsy for ACI
Feb 3, 2010 ACI/TTO

Offline kralldaddy

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2010, 08:10:14 PM »
I've had good luck with Naproxen  "Alieve".  It has really reduced swelling and if I take with a meal doesn't seem to bother my stomach.
3/10 ACI
11/09 Menicus Repair/ACI Biopsy

Offline LILS

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2010, 01:05:57 AM »
I had my PT appt today and I reached 113 degrees on my own and the PT forced it to 115. I was really surprised. I thought I could only get to around 100 degrees on my own. I did hold my breath each time we both tried to to go past 100 degrees; it did not feel good! I am on track though! The PT session actually wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I skipped the CPM last night, since my leg was so swollen. Today, even after the PT session, my leg isn't even as swollen as its been the last couple of days. My toes are tingling now though. I have only taken 500mg of Tylenol this morning (it's 7pm US time now), but I will probably take another 500mg before bed, since I tend to wake up in pain in the middle of the night if I don't.

Hi kralldaddy: Unfortunately, since I had the osteotomy along with the ACI, I can't take any type of drug like Naproxen, Motrin, NSAIDs, etc. They interfere with bone repair according to my OS. I wish I could take something like that. I was told Tylenol is pretty much it for the next few months. Thanks for the suggestion though.

C, hopefully the IbuActin works.
Mar 16, 2010 ACI/HTO Surgery
May 26, 2009 Microfracture Surgery/ACI Harvest
2003 Medial Meniscal Tear Repair

Offline LILS

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #63 on: May 08, 2010, 04:19:22 AM »
I am 7 1/2 weeks post op after my ACI/HTO surgery. I am doing well. I reached 128 degrees on the ROM on my own, without pulling my leg or having someone push it. My normal leg is 135 degrees. I still have a little swelling in the ankle and especially where the plate/screws are, but my mobility is pretty well. It's just painful going up and down stairs and off of curbs. I don't use a brace or crutches anymore. YEAAA! I'm hardly limping at all, which is weird, since I limped for months after my micro fx surgery. My x-rays look good; bone is regenerating within the wedge that was taken out. My scar is ugly now though. It started as a beautiful incision for 2-3 weeks, but has now developed into a keloid, which is painful and will need to eventually be injected with Kenalog to smooth it out. It's too early for that now though, since it's still healing and will probably get worse. Most of my scars keloid, so I wasn't too surprised. It limits my bending of my knee a little bit though. I was actually bending my knee one day and my insicion split open a little due to the pulling of the skin from the keloid. I'm not any any pain meds. My leg does get stiff, but I can stretch it out pretty quickly. My quad muscles are stronger than they were during my micro fx last year also, which I'm thrilled about. Hopefully the going up and down stairs pain will go away. I have to hold on the rail and go very slowly. Other than that, my pace is normal. I still struggle standing on one leg (injured leg) when I'm putting on my pants or get into my high bed or tub. It's getting stronger and less shaky though.  :)

Offline kralldaddy

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2010, 01:35:08 PM »
LILS,

Great news on your progress.  The keloid thing sounds rough.  I'll be 7 wks post op on Tues with my follow up with the OS on Wed.  Hopefully I can ditch the crutches too.  I've been testing it around the house.

Are you completely brace free?  Or did your OS or PT have you wear it when you started walking.  Also wonderign how often your going to PT?  While I was NWB I only went a couple times and I wanted to get a feel for how often others are going.  I plan to step up to once a week or so.

Also have you done anything or taken anything to help generate muscle?  I 've tossed around the idea of Juven from Abbott or Muscle Armor from EAS.  Both are quite expensive but I've read good things about them helping build muscle.

Anyway great progress! :)
3/10 ACI
11/09 Menicus Repair/ACI Biopsy

Offline LILS

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #65 on: May 11, 2010, 03:36:40 AM »
Hi Kralldaddy,
   Thanks! I actually was allowed to get rid of the brace while I was still on crutches (around my 4th or 5th week). I was more stable without the brace and my OS agreed. My leg bounced around a lot less without it. I was too clumsy with the cumbersome brace, and accidentally slammed my leg down a couple of times with it. When I was allowed to ditch the brace, I didn't have any issues. I went to one crutch at 6 weeks (after my OS cleared me). By the 7th week, I was doing very well and able to walk without any assistance.

I go to PT 2-3 times a week. I try to go 3 times a week, but it's hard to get away from work. To be honest with you, everything I do at PT, I can do at home. Many times I have felt I was wasting my time going there, but I know it's for the best. Like I told my Physical Therapist, I just like to go there to see how far I have progressed in my ROM and strength. I'm definitely progressing a lot faster than I thought I would, considering how much pain I was in the first few days after the surgery. The PT did tell me I need to ice my leg more, since he said my incision area was "warmer" than the rest of that area. I won't be going to PT this week, since my job is too short-staffed. I'll go back for the next 2 1/2 weeks, 2-3 times a week. I have another OS and Physical Therapist follow-up appt in June.

I have not considered any muscle building products since I am doing very well in that department. My quads never got too weak and I rebounded quick, as far as strength. My calf was very sore the first few days after my NWB though. My issue right now is getting used to the plate/screws in my bone; that is where the majority of the pain is. It does seem to get better each day. This weekend was the first time I got out of bed and actually did not even think about my knee until I was all the way across the house. To me, that means it's progressing. I look forward to the days I can go without thinking of my knee.....period....hopefully one day! Let us know how it goes once you start walking on it.

Offline cfranc

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #66 on: May 14, 2010, 06:49:41 PM »
Hey All..

Sounds like you are progressing awesome LILS!  I am now at 14wks post op and have 130 ROM (though my last measure I was a bit swollen so it might actually be a tad bit more).  I was only 135 before surgery so I am happy about where I am and ok if I can't push it any farther. 

My first big surgery my scar turned into a keloid as well.  That same scar has since been cut over twice (no other keliods and it's flatened out for the most part.  I wish I knew you were having these issues beforehand.  They say silicone strips work to help prevent keliod scaring...I guess it's what they use on burn patients as well.  I think something about keeping the air away from the scar helps prevent it from keloiding.  Think you can buy the strips now at a pharmacy. 

I went back to work at 10 1/2 weeks and was very sore after day one....muscles hadn't been used in so long.  Amazing how just walking from the parking lot to my office and back and forth to the restroom made me muscles burn as if I had spent 6 hrs at the gym. 

I was getting a lot of swelling still especially when I went back to work and was up and about more.  I bought the ACE soft touch ice wraps and they are awesome...they don't sweat so you can use them throughout the day without your clothes getting wet.  I still use them regularly and I think it has helped tremendously with the swelling.  I wrap one around my knee (with an ace bandage) on my way to and from work and use it a few times a day while I'm there then at least once at night.

I got permission to walk up to a mile a day from my OS so I can now at least walk the dog...which he is very happy about...but I try to limit my walking as much as possible other than that to keep the swelling to a minimal.  I am going to PT once a week now and may consider every other week or so.  As I can now do all my exercises at home and just need to go in to check progress and get new ones. 

I am still not going up/down stairs yet.  OS recommended waiting until I hit 4 months...so no harm in waiting.  I am doing ok with regaining muscle...but inner quad is still a bit weak and don't think I will be able to really start seeing some good progress there until I can walk up/down stairs as that makes a huge difference.  Overall though I feel pretty strong...much better than day 1 back to work.

Jan 1991 Lateral release
Feb 2002 VMO/TTO
Oct 2009 Biopsy for ACI
Feb 3, 2010 ACI/TTO

Offline LILS

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2010, 08:02:12 PM »
Hello,
    I am 2 1/2 months post-op and am doing well. I flew to D.C. for Memorial Day with no swelling in my leg. I was surprised, since my legs tend to swell anyway, even before the surgery. I am now on the way back to MS. I even went to Six Flags amusement park all day on Memorial Day and had no pain or any issues at all with all the walking and riding roller coasters. It was too freakin hot outside, but my knee was fine. I still can only reach 125-128 degrees ROM. I cannot crouch down without a little pain, but that is ok for now. I am currently seeing a plastic surgeon who has gone ahead and injected the Kenalog into my scar to flatten it out. He also gave me a cream to use on the scar to help speed the flattening out. The cream is called Aldara and it is usually used for patient's with skin cancer or venereal warts! He swears it will help my hypertrophic scar. We'll see. He also mentioned the silicone patch that I will be getting measured for. 3 different treatments for the scar. He also suggested cutting the scar out, but I know it will do the same thing and the last thing I want at this point is more pain in my knee. I walk up and down stairs and hills much better now than a I was a couple of weeks ago, but there still a little pain. I don't ice my leg at all anymore. I go to PT usually 2 times a week, but I'm taking a couple of weeks off until I see my OS again. Going to my PT is such a waste of time. I can do all that stuff at home.

Offline cfranc

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #68 on: September 02, 2010, 09:59:02 PM »
Hey LLILS..

You still out there.  Haven't logged on in months but just read your last post from back in June.  It sounds like you recovered and are recovering quickly.  I still have some swelling in my knee, not much but some.  I can use the eliptical and stationary bike for 10-15 minute intervals without any pain/swelling and walk a couple of miles on fairly level ground....but I still seem to be so far away from normal.  I am now 7 months out.  I am geting closer to normal but don't want to push it as my doctor says and end up with more swelling, pain and lengthened recovery.  If you log on...let me know how you are doing now.
Jan 1991 Lateral release
Feb 2002 VMO/TTO
Oct 2009 Biopsy for ACI
Feb 3, 2010 ACI/TTO

Offline mandl20

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #69 on: April 24, 2012, 05:22:34 PM »
Thanks for all of the information.  I'm 5 weeks post op from the scope and biopsy.

support