Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Need help....  (Read 964 times)

4whenpigsfly

Need help....
« on: February 18, 2010, 06:16:11 PM »
I need advice on what to do – who to see next…

I am a 29 year old with an extensive surgical history on my right knee.  I am in pain constantly – and currently use crutches .  I am able to use one crutch if I am around my house.
I originally tore my ACL in 8/2006. I had ACL reconstruction in 10/2006.  I had stiffness and pain after my ACL – and underwent a debridement in procedure in 3/2007.  I was then referred to another surgeon for my pain and lack of extension.  My ACL was removed in Dec. 2007 and lateral releases were performed.  My ACL was revised in June of 2008 – and an ACI biopsy was taken.  I underwent an ACI of the medial femoral condyle and the trochlea in June of 2009. In August of 2009 – after continued pain – my trochlea ACI graft was removed and a chrondroplasty was performed.  I have since had a series of Synvisc injections.  I have had over 120 PT visits. I was recently referred to Dr. Lombardi and Berend in Columbus, Ohio for evalution for a total knee replacement.  I was told that I was too young for a TKR – and was referred to a cartlidge restoration Dr.  I saw Dr. Brian Cole in Chicago – and his assessment was that I needed a TKR due to the osteoarthritis in my patellofemoral joint as well as in the medial compartment.   My recent MRI shows significiant arthritis of the trochlea and patella medial femoral condyle and a significant previous partial medial menisectomy. Dr. Cole stated that he did not have any cartlidge restoration procedure that would help me.
I am now struggling to find a Dr that will even see me due to my age.  I understand the risks of a TKR at my age – but I have 2 young kids – and at least need to be able to walk normally (at least without assistance).  I also have moderate to severe lower back pain – and left hip pain – due to the way that I walk and overcompensate my weight. 
Any advice you can offer would be much appreciated.  I am in the central Ohio area – but am willing to travel to any Dr – if they can provide me assistance.

Offline Dad3

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
    • Perfectly Personalised Ltd
Re: Need help....
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 06:38:04 PM »
Have a look at the knee replacement section/threads there are several "young" members who have had TKR's in and around the USA.

Hope it goes well.
RT Knee collapsed 08/2009
MRI 10/2009 - torn ACL
Arthroscopy and MFX - 10/2009
ACL and OATS 11/2009
RT knee lateral release, mosaicplasty and medial reefing - 22nd September 2010.
Still not 100% OK :(

support