Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: New knee geek: Need advice on pre-op exercises, preceeding ACL Recon  (Read 1232 times)

Offline Nessie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hi all, 

I tore my ACL 8 days ago, skiing in France.  I'm back in the UK now and have an appointment with my consultant for the first time next week.  I hope to have the reconstruction surgery as soon as possible and wonder if there are any pre-op execises or actions I could be taking to make this more likely.  I've been resting my leg to reduce the inflamation and swelling but I've been reading quite a bit on the net about needing to have good range of motion returned to the knee before a surgeon will operate.  Any advice, or redirection to useful info on this site would be much appreciated. 

Thanks

Nessie

Offline Lisab66

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Hello Nessie
Just scanning through the numerous messages on this site.  It is so vast - I keep losing where I am.
I'm probably in a similar situation as you having damaged my knee over half-term this year.
Whereabouts do you live?
Unpleasant fall at top of chair lift - ski trip Feb 10
No previous injuries
Ruptured ACL, Torn MCL & PLC Corner damage
Currently exploring my options!

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
Hi Nessie and Lisa,

I'm four weeks post-ACL tear, and have found some great resources on this site. Here are a couple of really good ones for prehab exercises:

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/node/775

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=29810.0

Focus on building quad and hamstring strength, getting the knee straight (very important), and getting as much range of motion back as possible before surgery. It's hard work, but aggressive rehab will work wonders - I completed a 100k bike ride on Sunday, a month to the day after the accident where I tore my ACL! It took me a while to get back on a bike - initially I couldn't bend my leg enough to turn the pedals - but since I have, it's been the best thing that I've done for the joint. The knee always feels better and flexes better after a stint on the bike (stationary or road).

Best of luck!
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA

Offline Lisab66

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Thanks Snowy - this link looks really useful.
I saw my PT this morning and she is empasizing the need to get my quads stronger and straighten knee more.
It's really impressive - what you've achieved.
Well done.
Best go and do my exercises now then .....
Unpleasant fall at top of chair lift - ski trip Feb 10
No previous injuries
Ruptured ACL, Torn MCL & PLC Corner damage
Currently exploring my options!

Offline Snowy

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 93
Sadly I'm going to have plenty of time to work on my rehab - wait times here are really bad and it could be up to a year before I get to surgery. :(

Something else I'd add from my experience over the past month is not to get discouraged if you plateau occasionally. I had periods when for a few days the knee wouldn't make any progress at all or would even regress slightly, and it made me incredibly frustrated till I realized it was just part of the process and wasn't anything to worry about. As long as your overall progress is in the right direction, things are good.

If you have an iPhone, I saw an app called the iGoniometer mentioned elsewhere on this forum that you can use for measuring knee flexion. I check mine daily now and it's a really good way of measuring how the ROM is coming along.

Good luck with those exercises! I'm trying to find the motivation to do another 400 squats before bed.  :-\
Mar 11: R Biceps femoris tear (skiing)
Jul 10: ACLr (hamstring autograft)
Mar 10: L ACL rupture (skiing)
Feb 06: L partial ACL tear (kickboxing)
Dec 03: R bone edema (motorbike)
Jan 01: R patellar chip (motorbike)
May 93: R ACL sprain (hockey)
Ongoing: bilateral PFS and OA