Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Bilateral patello-femoral replacement?  (Read 981 times)

Offline angelacg

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Bilateral patello-femoral replacement?
« on: April 07, 2010, 05:23:58 PM »
Hi, thanks for the help I've already had just reading posts.  I now have a specific request - has anyone had both knees done at the same time?

I just had bilateral arthroscopies, which was ok, apart from the first few days when neither knee wanted to bend.  A high raise toilet seat and crutches helped!  As did having daughter home to provide cups of tea!  My surgeon has recommended the P-F replacements as next option after physio, if my pain is still bad.  I'm not sure work would cope with me being off for 2 successive operations.

So - anyone had bilateral?  How long before you were walking easily again?  How long off work?
By the way, I'm 46.  I do an office based job but I do have to get up frequently and move around, stand etc which would not be feasible to do on crutches for various reasons.
Many thanks,
Angela

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
Re: Bilateral patello-femoral replacement?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 10:13:04 PM »
Hi and welcome

I'm pretty sure someone on here has had bilateral PFJRs - have a look in the Patella-Femoral section or the Partial Knee replacement section (think its the first one) - The name escapes me but I'll have a look too. I think they are doing well, although its clearly a major commitment! But - at least you know they're both done at once - I can see the temptation if you know both need doing!

All the best

Lottie  :)
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
Re: Bilateral patello-femoral replacement?
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 10:21:14 PM »
Hi,

A poster named gr8fit recently had bilateral PFJR's.  I don't believe she has her own post-op diary but she does post on the below diary alot...

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47257.0

I had my left PFJR done in Sept 09 and I LOVE IT!!!!!!!

Best of luck,
Karen
Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope