Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: New To Site, Need Help With A Diagnosis  (Read 990 times)

Offline highcountry

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
New To Site, Need Help With A Diagnosis
« on: February 18, 2010, 06:05:55 PM »
Hello.  I'm a 43 year old male.  In December 2008 I had my second arthroscopy on the right knee to remove a loose body.  He "cleaned it up", as they call it.  I also found out I have no remaining cartilage behind the kneecap, undoutedly due to basketball.

This bone-on-bone never gave me much trouble in the past, other than soreness that subsided after a few days. But six months after this last surgery I get this thing where when my knee extends straight while walking I get a sharp pain, that happens probably 1 out of every 30-40 steps.  The pain is in the part below the kneecap where the tendon is.  The sensation is the tendon is rubbing over something and there's a pop, which is what causes the sharp pain. 

The problem is that it only happens every now and then.  It might happen this afternoon for instance, then totally disappear for 2 weeks, when out of the blue it comes back with no warning.

The ortho couldn't pin-point it and suggested more loose bodies, but because it's so sporadic, I would think it's something else.

I don't play basketball anymore - at least I haven't since this issue started.  However I CAN jog, and sprint too, because  I don't completely extend my knee or do hard stops during these.  Although as of late, I don't do much of anything.

And strangely enough, it ALSO HAPPENS in my normal LEFT knee but with much less frequency/duration/intensity. I'm having the hardest time putting a name to this and I'm grateful for any help.  Thanks.

Offline Jonny L

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: New To Site, Need Help With A Diagnosis
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 12:35:41 AM »
Hi,having had 2 athroscopys myself on my left knee,the last one i had was Feb 2008,and had a lateral mynesectomy,i have a bucket handle tear,and 50% acl tear,but existing fibres was told were quite strong.im 43 male too,went back to playing football but only veterans.
Everything fine until last month,then same as you pain appeared in medial side under knee cap,sharp pain when fully extend leg with weight on it,im not sure wether its because i have been nursing leg along and muscle wastage,so been on bike at gym to build,but still sharp pain!

i was able to one legged squats on bad leg before,but does not feel strong enough to do now,and just on last bit of straightening the sharp pain!

Physio baffled,doesnt think i have torn meniscus further,going back next week.

thought i would drop you a line as seem very similar.

support