Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Kirsty's Right Knee Chrondroplasty and Trochleoplasty  (Read 99685 times)

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 77
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
Re: Kirsty's Right Knee Chrondroplasty and Trochleoplasty
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2010, 10:52:37 AM »
Hi Kirsty,

Sorry you did not get very much sleep last night, hope you get a decent nights sleep tonight. Sorry that the Clinic have not been very good to you and glad you will be making a complaint it is good that you are doing something about it rather then not saying anything at all. Hope you had a good time at the cinema with your friends.

Nick :) {2010} :)
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2010, 12:34:09 AM »
Hi All,

Slept better last night, but still woke up at 2am. Just wish I could get a decent night's sleep.

My back pain has been horrendous. Pretty annoyed my doctor never called back. I wonder how he or the receptionists would feel if they were left in pain like this ? Am sure they would not like it or cope as well.

Had a nice time with my friends at the movies, although I felt like I was hungover with painkillers. It is such a horrible feeling !

Some friends are coming for lunch, which will be nice.
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2010, 11:09:13 PM »
Sorry the sleeping is still difficult.  That should get better as time goes on.  Make sure not to neglect your back either.  I find that moist heat on my back helps it feel better.  I can understand how you feel about messages going astray.  My docs office has a medical assistant that you leave a message with and they talk direct to the doc and get you an answer.  That way the receptionist is not the one responsible for getting messages to the doc.  Glad you enjoyed the movie.  Pain meds are a blessing and a curse.  You feel kind of spacy when you take them but hurt so much without.  That too should improve as things heal up more.  Bone pain is some of the worst pain you can have.

I hope next weekend is a bit warmer so I can rake the leaves out of my garden.  It was too cold here Saturday as it snowed.  It's all melted today, but burrr!

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2010, 03:37:57 PM »
Hi Kirsty,

Hope you get a decents nights sleep for a change and not in too much pain. I hope you get too see your GP or a OS that deals with back problems as back problems can be hard to get right but I am sure you will get through it.

Good you had a good time with your friends at the movies and hope had a decent lunch, but cannot be nice being under medication.

16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2010, 11:01:07 AM »
Hi All,

Seem to be sleeping better. Tonight I should sleep well as I have been to the hydrotherapy pool tonight.

Things with my parents are not getting any easier. They just try to control me and don't encourage me, which makes it difficult. My parents keep saying how I can't do medicine or physiotherapy as I physically couldn't do it. Makes me so angry as I know I can do it and manage my pain. A lot of health professionals have health issues of some description. So what is different ? My psychologist thinks that once the TAC and work cover stuff is behind me that my pain will really improve and will flourish. One good thing is that they have agreed to go and see my psychologist. So, that is a positive step.

Today I had a training/assessment for one of the jobs I do casually at a private hospital here in Melbourne. It was pretty straight forward and nice to meet everyone again. The people are so nice. Would love to get more shifts there. Hope to get more shifts there once I get the all clear from my knee surgeon. I am hoping he will let me go back to work after I see him on the 22nd of April.

Milly, my psychologist thinks that the pain is largely contributed by the expectations and pressures my parents put on me. I definitely won't be neglecting my back. Trying to do more exercises for that too. Will be writing a complaint letter in the next few days. Think is it pretty disappointing that my call has not been returned from Friday last week. I have to just keep telling myself that I am doing all the right things I will not let my parents persuade me to do something they want me to do. I have to be happy what I am doing, not the reverse.

Nick, I know I will get through the back problems. Once I start back at work I will be much better off I think. Today I didn't feel the pain until I sat down again.

Hope you are all well.
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2010, 12:57:56 PM »
Glad you are getting some better sleep.  That will help the pain too.  Stress sure does make the pain climb.  I think we tighten up a lot when under stress so we are just tense.  That does not help the pain at all.  Glad the parents are going to the psychologist with you.  They probably do not realize how much pressure they are putting on you or how it is affecting you.  You are right about having a medical issue not being a barrier to what you want to do.  I've had PTs who have had a myriad of surgeries (back, knee, etc.).  My previous OS has arthritis in his neck (spine).  It can be done.  Just curious, did the back issues start after the accident?

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
8/21/08 - new OS apt

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2010, 07:20:27 PM »
Hi Kirsty,

Good that you can work through your back problem and hope you can reuturn to work soon and find a job you like. There nothing wrong in wanting to study medcine or physiotherapy if it something you enjoy doing it worth it. You cannot let your health stop you doing something you enjoy.

Less then a week till I see Mr Green and hope he can do something about my knee, like your parents my family annoy me by saying just accept you may never run again but intend to do all I can to get back to running.

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2010, 06:08:17 AM »
Hi All,

Had no trouble getting to sleep last night, but woke up worrying about how to deal with the situation with my parents. I am sure my psychologist will help defuse things. Just can't happen soon enough.

My knee doesn't seem as swollen, which is good. Still gets very sore still.

Milly, stress definitely makes the pain worse. You are right, they do not realise what impact they are having on me. I totally agree with you about a medical issue not being a barrier. In fact my doctor and physio think I am much better doing a more active job and I agree with them. The back issues started after my car accidents. It is not fun I can tell you.

Nick, I am not going to let my parents dictate what I should and shouldn't do. Of course I wouldn't do my chosen profession if my practitioners thought it was not a good idea. Good luck with Mr Green. Not long to see him.
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair

Offline anniehine

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2010, 09:36:26 AM »
Hi Kirsty,

Good luck with seeing your psychologist-I hope it sorts things out between your parents and you.  And good to see you're sleeping a bit better. :)

I'm still struggling with weight bearing so taking it very slowly, and started to use the e-stim which will hopefully improve things somewhat.  I bought a Cryocuff too so waiting to see if that helps me with my swelling because I can't get it down for more than a day  ???

What flexion are you at at the mo?  I'm at about 120 i think but finding it harder to go beyond that.  Thought i'd ask you coz I know we had the op at the same time! 8)

Annie xx
Left knee started dislocating at 7 years old
Hypermobile
Arthroscopic scope April 2009
Trochleoplasty at 28 years old (10.2.10)
Did 1st SLR 1.4.10 WHOOP!!
Walked through house without crutches (12.4.10) very pleased with myself!!

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2010, 10:58:56 AM »
Hi Annie,

Thanks for your note.

I am sorry to hear you are still struggling with weight bearing. Your quads must have been really weak. I am walking around quite a bit now with not too much pain. When it comes to crowds I still use my crutches. Also, I find getting out of the car quite hard too.

The Cryo Cuff is awesome. Still using mine at least once a day. Don't know what I would have done without it.

Think I would be more than 120 in flexion, but not quite sure what it would be. Still find the end bit hard to get. I am still finding it a bit stiff, but it is loosening up.

When do you go back to see your OS ? I am seeing mine after Easter.
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair

Offline anniehine

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2010, 11:31:13 AM »
Hi Kirsty, wow walking without crutches..I'm sooo jealous!  I really hope i'll be walking by the time the UK summer comes!  8) ...we don't have long in the sunshine unfortunately!!

My quads werent even firing by the time i went to my OS 2 weeks post op and I know they were really weak before the op so it doesn't worry me too much that they're taking such a long time to recover. I can see a bit of improvement such as my heel slightly lifting off the floor when I'm doing quad sets (SLR are a loong way off methinks)! so know I am making some progress albeit slow!  I'm seeing my OS next Friday so will see what he says.

I can't tell you how excited I am to get my Cryo Cuff! It's quite sad I know!!

When do you see your psychologist? Hope your parents have chilled out a bit.  You can do anything you want to do. This is a bit of an extreme comparison but we have a famous chef in the UK who only has one hand, can you imagine how many people told him he couldn't cook with that disability..but now he's a michelin starred chef. Anyone can do anything with a bit of willpower!  I always think of him when I worry about not being able to do things!

Anyway, good luck with it all  :)
Left knee started dislocating at 7 years old
Hypermobile
Arthroscopic scope April 2009
Trochleoplasty at 28 years old (10.2.10)
Did 1st SLR 1.4.10 WHOOP!!
Walked through house without crutches (12.4.10) very pleased with myself!!

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2010, 12:33:51 PM »
I hope you get stuff settled with your parents soon.  Maybe once that happens you can get some better sleep.

Sounds like knee wise you are doing pretty well.

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
8/21/08 - new OS apt

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #72 on: March 25, 2010, 09:42:42 AM »
Hi there,

Today I have been busy doing a lot of my course work to finish up my course. We had our last class last night, which was good. Has spurred me on to finish all the assessments.

This evening I attempted to go to the station by foot. My knee was ok, but a bit sore. Think it may be a bit early yet, but can only learn from doing these things. Then, I caught the train to meet a friend, which was fine. It felt good to try it at least. I will definitely be icing my knee tonight before I go to bed.

Annie, I am sure you will be walking before you know it. I have been in the same situation before and is no fun. You just have to be patient and take things slowly. My quads were already firing when I saw my OS three weeks post-op. Leg raises were not a problem either. Good luck in seeing your OS. Guess you may have to see him more often because of your slow progress. I am doing great guns, which I am so happy about. Still too slow for my liking though. Yeah, I was very excited about getting my Cryo Cuff too. Just love it !!! I am seeing my psychologist next Tuesday, but not sure when my parents are seeing her. Will have to ask my Dad. Loved your story, it is very true. I have come a long way if I think about it as in 1998 I wasn't able to walk and was on crutches for about 10 months. It was the worst time of my life.

Milly, thanks I do too. It is just creating so much tension and unnecessary angst. Last night I did not sleep that well. Took ages to get to sleep. Slept a lot longer than I was planning this morning, but was probably what I needed.
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #73 on: March 25, 2010, 03:24:12 PM »
Getting all your class work done feels good doesn't it?  You did make it to the train station though, even though it was sore later.  That's a good thing. 

Stress can sure make you lose sleep.  Hope that gets better soon.

I am feeling pretty good knee wise, the right knee has been giving me a few days of grief.  I know some is the OA behind the kneecap, but I have a feeling some is nerve related from my back.  Darn it!  Get one thing sorted and something else pops up.  Ah well.....I keep up with my Chiro appts and it helps keep the back from getting too unbearable.  I can't wait for it to get warmer here so I can get my motorcycle out of storage.  A few hardy souls have been out riding and we have a gentleman on my work campus that has been driving his to work since the show melted.  It's a bit to chilly for me though.  At least 60 farenheit please.

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
8/21/08 - new OS apt

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #74 on: March 25, 2010, 07:42:45 PM »
Hi Kirsty,

I remember doing my course work in greenkeeping and felt great when I finished each assessment and got good marks of the tutors. It is good you are doing your assessments which will be worth while when you find a job you enjoy doing and helping people out at the same time.

less then 5 days till I see Mr Green and do hope I see him and not his Registrar but it is the NHS we are talking about so do not aways get too see the top OS which is wrong as I should have seen him pre op and wish he did the surgery himself rather then the Registrar.

support