Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Kirsty's Right Knee Chrondroplasty and Trochleoplasty  (Read 88111 times)

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
Kirsty's Right Knee Chrondroplasty and Trochleoplasty
« on: February 18, 2010, 09:18:39 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I thought I would start a post-op diary of my trochleoplasty and chrondroplasty that I had on the 11th of February.

It has been a lot more painful than the left knee was. So, it has taken a while to start my diary.

I was in hospital for a total of 2 nights. The morning after my surgery I was quite nauseous and in a lot of pain. So, my OS said to rest in bed on Friday and aim to go home on the Saturday, which ended up happening. I had my own room and a really good view of the city, which was great. I didn't sleep much the first night. So, was great to have something nice to look at.

My OS is really pleased with my progress so far. He is really confident of a good outcome, which is great. I had grade 2a cartilage damage under my knee cap. So, my OS did a chrondroplasty to smooth out the cartilage.

The first day after my surgery I was in so much pain and felt like crying when I got out of bed. Fortunately it has improved each day.

I have had a lot of really bad calf pain from this operation. On Tuesday I spoke with my sports physician and said if it got worse to let my OS know. It did, so I contacted my OS's rooms. They rang back yesterday. He wants me to keep my leg elevated and keep up with my exercises, which I am doing. It seems to have improved, which is good.

When I spoke with my sports physician yesterday I said that I was in a fair bit of pain and was much more painful than the left knee. He said it is understanding as it was a much more difficult operation.

Today I went out with my Mum to get some DVDs and that was more than enough for me. I was in a lot of pain when I get home. It is obviously too much for me.

I am looking forward to seeing my OS in about 2 weeks to see what he thinks and what else he found.
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
Re: Kirsty's Right Knee Chrondroplasty and Trochleoplasty
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 03:51:09 PM »
Found your diary.  I have often found that one knee will hurt more after surgery even with the same kind of surgery.  The OS did a bit more that he did on the last one so more pain would make sense.  Hope it's getting better everyday.

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline Skinnycatz

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • The Best Skinny Cat ever!
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 03:57:50 PM »
Hi Kirsty...

It was nice talking to you yesterday!  I am glad the pain is getting better...it will be slow, probably slower than you would like I am sure.  Hang in there though...I think the chondroplasty is pretty tough on the knee pain-wise.  I've had two of them.  The first time I think it took a LONG time to get over it....unfortunately I was having pain issues for months.  For me though, it just didn't settle until I kept taping the knee consistently.  The second time I had it done, it healed up much faster.  Who knows why!  It could be because there just wasn't much cartilage left to be dealt with. 

Take care and keep on the ice...that sure helped me post-op!

Francine
Diagnosis: CMP, torn lateral meniscus.
Meniscus trimming, chrondroplasty 2/14/03.
Meniscus trimming (lateral again) chrondoplasty 8/3/07
Grade III/IV Chrondomalacia kneecap
Meniscus trimming (tear in front of lateral) 4/18/08
Left TKR 7/15/10

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 08:33:06 AM »
Hi Everyone,

Last night I had a really bad sleep because of my pain. Just felt like crying. I got up and iced my knee, which did seem to help.

Today I have elevated my leg again and the pain is starting to ease off a bit, which is good. I find that night time is the worst time for my pain.

I have been enjoying watching the Winter Olympics. Today I saw Torah Bright, an Aussie win the Half Pipe. It was really exciting.

Milly, thanks for the kind words. Yeah, I guess it does make sense it is more painful as my OS did more work. Guess I just wasn't expecting it to be this painful.

Francine, it was lovely chatting to you too. You are right, I think it is going to be slower than I thought. I was interested to hear about your experience with the chrondroplasties. I have never had one before and there wasn't a plan to do one initially. It was only when they went in they found out what damage there was.
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 12:58:38 PM »
I have found that night time is rough after any surgery.  Pain seems to be more and it is difficult to get comfortable.  Elevate and ice as much as you can, it is amazing how much this helps.  Things should steadily improve.

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
8/21/08 - new OS apt

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 01:24:14 AM »
Hi Everyone,

My pain seems to be more under control since I spoke to my sports physician yesterday. He suggested increasing one of my regular meds morning and night which seems to have helped. I still findi sleeping at night very hard. Just can't seem to get comfortable. Think I will still take a strong painkiller to see if it helps me sleep better. Nothing worse than not getting a good night's sleep.

Milly, thanks for the suggestions. I agree, getting comfortable at night is certainly much more difficult.
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 03:47:08 AM »
You're welcome!  I also found that the more sleep I got, the better the pain was.  The stronger pain meds at night should help you stay more comfortable so you can sleep.  The lack of sleep is always a tough thing to get through.  If that does not help and you are still having trouble sleeping, you can ask about a sleep aid to use for a short while.  Lack of sleep can really kick your butt.

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
8/21/08 - new OS apt

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 73
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 10:52:30 AM »
Hi Kirsty,

Glad your surgery went fairly well but sorry to hear you cannot sleep at night because of the knee pain. I found it hard to sleep the 1st week after surgery but found it improved as time moved on. Its great that you have such a fantastic sports sports physician and an OS that you can trust 100%. I hope you are able to sleep better during the night by increasing pain killers and are not in to much pain and discomfort which is hard to avoid if you just has surgery last week. your surgery was fairly major and will take a while to recover from.

Hope you have a good weekend.

Nick :) {2010} :)
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 11:42:38 AM »
Hi Everyone,

Just been out with a friend for dinner tonight. It was nice to get out. It is the first time since my knee surgery. I had an extra chair to elevate my leg as it was too painful to sit normally with it on the ground. I lasted pretty well. We went to a Turkish restaurant and was a Belly Dancer, which was heaps of fun. Should have seen the little kids when she came out. One girl in particular was very intrigued by her.

Milly, interesting what you said about the sleep. I have found resting and sleeping a lot has really helped. Last night I also tried my relaxation CD, but just couldn't relax or get very comfortable.

Nick, thanks for your kind words. Hopefully sleep should be getting better. You are right, I had major surgery and will take a while to get over. Think it will take longer than my left knee. Am keen to hear what my sports physician and knee surgeon say about it all.

Am very excited that Torah Bright, an aussie won gold in the women's half pipe. Go Torah !!!
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 11:03:52 PM »
Sounds like you had a fun night out!  I think that is important too.  It is odd that the more sleep you get the better the pain is, yet it is hard to sleep because of the pain.  At least that should get better over time.

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
8/21/08 - new OS apt

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 04:06:50 PM »
I hope you have had a good weekend without being in too much pain and discomfort with your right knee. When do you see your OS and sports physician again must have a post op appointment coming up soon. I glad you were able to go out and have a good time with your friends, hope the meal was nice as I have been watching Masterchef Australia on Sky and your version of Masterchef is a lot better then the UK version the Australian version is more exciting then the UK Masterchef which can be a bit boring at times.

16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 01:35:47 AM »
Hi Everyone,

The last few days have been a bit rough, so I haven't posted.

Am hardly getting any sleep at night. I have left a message for my sports physician to call me yesterday, but still waiting. Am wanting to know whether using a Cryocuff would be better than ordinary ice.

Yesterday was a really bad day for me. I was in a lot of pain and had to go and sign the papers for the new place I will be renting. It was so painful to walk with my crutches. Just felt like crying. When I got home I rested a lot and slept more. Just woke up for a few hours, had some dinner and went back to sleep for the night.

I am having a down day today. Just didn't think I would be in this much pain almost 2 weeks post-op. I am bit frustrated with it all. I know it will get better though.

Milly, yeah I had a great night out. Just trying to keep sane at the same time. You are so right about sleep and the pain.

Nick, I see my knee surgeon next Wednesday and my sports physician on Monday. I have been trying to get an earlier appointment with my sports physician but no-one is returning my calls. Very frustrating as I think I may have an infection too. Great you have been enjoying Masterchef.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 10:33:23 AM by Silkncardcrafts »
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 10:35:05 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I was feeling really down today until I went out with a friend for dinner.

We went to a local Thai restaurant, which was really nice.

My knee is quite painful now, but was worth it.

Just icing my knee until I go to bed.

My sports physician's rooms rang today and will see me tomorrow at 11am. Will be interested to see what he has to say.
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 01:28:00 PM »
I hope your doc can at least help you get some sleep.  If there was work done on the kneecap, that can be painful for a while.  Not sure why that is but all my stuff has been under the kneecap and the pain tends to linger.  I certainly hope that is the case. 

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
8/21/08 - new OS apt

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2010, 05:30:47 PM »
Hi Kirsty,

Pleased that you are able to see your sports physician's tomorrow morning and did not have to wait till next week Monday and see your OS on Wednesday. You are going to have some sleepless nights and be in a lot of pain as you only had your surgery 12 days ago and was fairly major what you had done so recovery will be slow.

It is great that you are able to go out with your friend for a meal to take you mind of your knee and at the same time enjoy a good meal.

support