Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: I need some good advice....  (Read 721 times)

Offline mhm

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
I need some good advice....
« on: February 17, 2010, 02:34:03 PM »
I've had 2 acl reconstructions on the same knee and unfortunately have to consider a 3rd.  The last one was a few years ago and I immediately knew it didn't take but there was no way I wanted to go through another surgery at that time.  Both reconstructions were allografts....something that I would never consider again just due to the fact I need to blame the failures on something.  I now have 2 meniscus tears as well as the beginning stages of arthritis.  I did have 2 different doctors do the surgeries.  I know have a highly recommended third but at this point I trust none of them.    I know I need to do something but I am so scared of another failure.  Any suggestions?

Offline mmrocker13

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 7
Re: I need some good advice....
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 03:38:56 PM »
1. Do your research. Do you have a university or pro or semi-pro sports team in your area? See who they use. Are you in to any sports? Ask your fellow competitors for recommendations...find a tri or running or skiing or basketball club or whatever, and ask for rec. Are you seeing a PT you like and trust? Whom do they recommend?

2. Once you've armed yourself with a list of docs, interview them. Get their opinions, ask them questions...how many times have they done this surgery, what do they recommend as the course of action, why do they favor the path they do (i.e. allo v. autograft, etc etc), what's their rehab protocol, what's their success rate.

As G.I. Joe said, "knowing is half the battle." Arm yourself with as much knowledge, and then try and make an informed decsion.
89: Pat. dislocation, lat. meniscus tear, femoral OCD lesion
89: debridement, chondroplasty, lateral partial menisectomy
02: partial lat. menisc., debride
02: mfx
09: subtotal menisc., debride, c'plasty
10: scope/debride
10: varus DFO
13: HWR
15: total menisc., debride, c'plasty, notchplasty

Offline karen smith

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: I need some good advice....
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 08:24:49 PM »
I had ligament reconstructio 7 years aago with no problems since.  Theu usedtendons(or something) from my hamstring.  Apparently they can remove some and not cause problems.  They left one end still attached in its origina place and sort of sewed or threaded the other end through and attached it to my knee cap and on to my shin bome.  Although not exactly the same as you, they can use the same process for various reconstruction surgey.  It is minimally invasive and it uses your own tissue.  If you print this out and take it to a reputable surgeon they will know what I am talking about.

Email me direct if you wish.  My personal email is on the personal details

I hope you get sorted soon.

Karen Smith

support