Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Who is the best person to complain to?  (Read 1082 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Doc79316

  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • *****
  • Posts: 1766
  • Liked: 1
Who is the best person to complain to?
« on: February 17, 2010, 12:25:23 PM »

I've had enough of being fobbed off, pushed from pilar to post and having excuses thrown at me.

My OS back in 2007 suggested a PKR as nthign else worked. My left kneecap still subluxes and dislocates of its own accord adn the only thing that has ever helped in a HUGE, hinged knee brace. Although it loked unsightly, it was very comfortable, people tended to stay away so I didn't gt knocked or bashed (thankfully as Ihave RSD too) and my kneecap stayed in place whilst wearing it.

I have had to throw this knee brace away purely because I wore it out. I need another but can't afford it at several hundred pound sa go. My GP either cannot or will not prescribe one and says I don't need another referral to my OS (as he's discharged me) just to get another one. But where else can I get one?

With regard to pain management, I was under a fantastic specialist at Solihull Hospital but as they didn't ahve the facilities there to treeat the RSD (this is after saying I did havce it then denying her'd ever said it), I was sent to a Hospital over an hour away by car. Even thugh the docs there agreed that I have the RSD, and agreed the treatment plan, they sent me back to Solihull. The doctor there discharged me. No warning. No reasoning. That's it. So the RSD was never treated other than with Morphine, Lyrica and a whole heap of other drugs.

Also, I asked for a second opinion from the Royal Orthopaedic Hospital in South Birmingham. I had a couple of appointments and as I hadn't heard anything for a while, Ichased them up. I was told I'd been discharged.

So, in a nutshell, my original OS screws up my knee, leaving me permanently on crutches and now with arthritis in the top of my spine as a result. He has also since discharged me saying there's nothing more he can do, although a PKR or TKR would work. He won't do this though because I'm not over 40! The OS and pain specialist at the ROH aren't interested because I'm now off their books so to speak. The original pain management doctor discharged me becasuse of a lack of communication between him and the doctors he referred me to when he said he didn't have the facilities to carry out the treatment. The doctso who could treat he RSD effeectively (hopefully) batted me back to the original PM doc for no apparent reason (as far as I can see).

So now, I have no quality of life. I keep goin gfor my Son and will not allow my knee to get in the way of making him happy. I have 4 dogs that I exercise every day but I'm in agony to do it. I refuse to give in but it's getting too much. I will NOT give up my dogs and I'm not going to accept that I don't deserve a decent quality of life at only 36 years old.

So, I think one hell of a nasty letter of complaint is in order - but who do I send it to? Maybe the Chief Exec of the NHS, seeing as it involves different hospitals, different doctors and different PCTs? Or do I write the same letter, explaining everything to each hospital?

Ideas please.

Laura xx
Left knee surgery
13/08/03-Fulkerson TTT
05/06/05-Stabilisation & Medialisation/Tendon Transfer
13/01/06-Proximal Hamstring Superior Stabilisation
06/03/06-RSD/CRPS diagnosed
20/07/06 + 03/04/07-Excision of scar tissue
02/03/20-Left transfemoral amputation

Offline Clarkey

  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • *****
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • *
  • Posts: 4189
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
Re: Who is the best person to complain to?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 05:15:56 PM »
Hi Laura,

Sorry you going through such a hard time with your knee and not getting anywhere to get it looked at and treated and should not have been discharged with the condition of your knee. I would pay and see Mr Green at the Priory Hospital which cost 160 and you can then see him for follow up consultation at the ROH. I paid private to see Mr Green and he came accross as a really nice guy who cares for his patients and has a good sense of humour for an OS and does not come across as being too serious like some OS's.

It would be a good idea to write a letter on complaint and thinking about doing the same as they took to long to diagnose my knee problem and after care was shocking .

Nick :) {2010} :)
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline ohsobright

  • MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • **
  • Posts: 43
  • Liked: 0
  • I will not be defined by the things I cannot do.
Re: Who is the best person to complain to?
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 09:24:51 PM »
What a time you've had of it Laura. Every hopsital has a complaints dept, however by addressing it to  the chief exec (perhaps mark personal to  ensure it gets there) and sending copies to the lead clinician of each dept involved should get some attention.
Good luck.
14/12/09 slipped, Lt TPF, spiral # tibia, # fibula,# disloc patella,lig ruptures.
17/12/09 ORIF, bone graft.
21/12/09 discharged full leg backslab NWB
30/12/09 staples out full cast NWB.
20/1/10 cast brace NWB
22/2/10 PT
3/3/10 Cast off, PWB
31/3/10 WB with cane
23/6/10 FWB

Offline Marantha

  • Regular Poster
  • ***
  • *
  • Posts: 94
  • Liked: 0
Re: Who is the best person to complain to?
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 12:07:00 PM »

I have a thread on here basically, I have lodged a complaint through PALS every hospital should have them.  They are really good, they have took over my complaint and they are chaising it for me.  I should recieve a phone call on Friday to see what will be done about my complaint..

So, my advice is to ring the hospital and ask to be put throught to PALs.  Or try the NHS direct...x
2009 Physio
30/10/2009 OS appointment confirmed patella tilt, very hypermobile, and a rare bone deformity called hypoplastic medial femoral condyle.
10/03/2010 LR preformed and chondromalacia grade 1 spotted

Offline ipswich1984

  • Regular Poster
  • ***
  • Posts: 142
  • Liked: 0
Re: Who is the best person to complain to?
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 02:34:46 PM »
I had problems with my hospital and I started with PALS, after all I got from them was an apology which while was nice it didnt really solve anything.

I then wrote to the chief exec and I also copied in my local MP who took the case forward and he eventually got it resolved.

Hope you get this sorted as it is horrible to be in pain with no end in sight.
November 2005 - Arthroscopy RK.
December 2006 - LR RK.
Febuary 2008 -
RK Subluxation. Back to physio.
October 2008 -
Put on waiting list for TTT/LR.
Told I have Hypermobile joints.
March 2009 -
11th Jan -
OS agreed removal of screws
5th Feb 2010 -
TTT/LR scheduled for LK

Offline karen smith

  • MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • **
  • Posts: 24
  • Liked: 0
Re: Who is the best person to complain to?
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 08:13:44 PM »
It sounds like you have had a hard time.  You have been treated abismally. 

How far do you want to take this. Options available are:

 Have you seen a solicitor?  Are you after damages for trauma, pain and ongoing pain.  Uf you win a case they would have to pay for you to get it sorted properly.If you are really serious this could be an option.  If you can't afford one, try the Citizens Advice.

If you want to pursue this yourself, not necessarily with damages, I would write to the General medical council.  They register and licence all doctors.  They take all complaints seriously.  You can do this yourself, but having a professional on you side would help.

Mr Glyn Evans works out of London Bridge Hospital in London with The London Knee Clinic.  Although a private doctor, he does medico/legal work.  A consult/examination by him would be useful.  With his legal experience, if he agrees you were treated neglectfully you would hsve a bbetter case.  If someone like him could put your casee in writibg you could attach it to any letters to the GMC or other parties.  If you win any compensation if you go down that route, Mr Evans is one of the best in the country.  He is well known for taking on cases other doctors have said nothing can be done for with great success.

I sugest you try Mr Evans or other knee specialist with medico legal experience.  Even if you decide to go to the Citizen's Advice or go through a solicitor, someone like him backing you from the start would be invaluable.

Let me know how you get on.

DON'T BE FOBBED OF WITH HIGH BROW PRESSURE.  Doctor;s do tend to stick together but don't give up or think there is no hope. 

Contact me direct if you want.  My email is available for view in personal detyails.

My best wishes

Karen Smith