Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 2 1/2 yrs post op...still in pain :(  (Read 9921 times)

Offline MariaT

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
2 1/2 yrs post op...still in pain :(
« on: February 15, 2010, 03:19:52 AM »
Hello! I am seeking advice on my complicated injuries. I was kicked by a horse 2 1/2 yrs ago and dislocated both of my knees and had multiple ligament tears (most complete tears) and postero-lateral corner injuries in both knees. My surgery consisted of many allografts and a lot of hardware. Some hardware was removed due to the pain it was causing and now years later I still have pain, stiffness and instability with weakness. I went through several months of PT then sought manual PT on my own for 14 more months. I've used a TENS unit for pain and have taken different pain meds. I find it difficult to get through a day of work. I fear I should have sought out a much more qualified surgeon for my complex injuries. Now I am attempting to reach Dr LaPrade for his opinion on whether to see him for a consult or someone he recommends. I live just outside of Washington, DC. Any advice?
Maria T
9/11/07 bi-lateral knee dislocations, recon MCL's , ACL's, postero-lateral corners. 7/07 most hardware removed.
2 1/2 yrs later still in pain & having instability.
7/10 bone grafts R knee-pending ACL revision
1/11 ACL revision w/BPB autograft

Offline MariaT

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: 2 1/2 yrs post op...still in pain :(
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 12:29:48 AM »
 ;D Soooooooo, I actually found an e mail address and wrote to Dr Robert LaPrade & heard back from him! He's informed me that he is joining the prestigious Steadman Clinic in Vail, CO at the end of April and I should see him there. I am very excited to get his evaluation of my condition. Has anyone had surgery by him or have any comments? I am very anxious to see him and wish it was happening like yesterday.How about the other expert in postero lateral corner injuries in Ohio Dr Noyes. any info?
9/11/07 bi-lateral knee dislocations, recon MCL's , ACL's, postero-lateral corners. 7/07 most hardware removed.

Offline Mom of three

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 02:10:45 AM »
My son tore his ACL 3 times in a matter of 1 1/2. After the third time the doctor referred us to Dr LaPrade.
This man knows what he is doing... After 2 different surgery by Dr LaPrade my son has had an ACL for 10 monthes now. which is  a big step for him. He is even back playing baseball in college. I would not think twice about going to Vail to have any other surgery.

Offline MariaT

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 12:46:11 AM »
 @ Mom of Three...Glad to hear your son had success with Dr La Prade. I'm not at all surprised, I've heard such wonderful things about him. As it turned out I ended up having a consult with Dr Noyes in April and followed through with suggested surgery in July. I am about to go back to Ohio again for stage 2 of surgery with Dr Noyes. Geographically Dr Noyes was much closer to me than Dr La Prade so that is one reason I chose him. Hope your son continues to feel better and better!
Maria

Offline DaVinche14

• Regular Poster
    • My post op diary
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 11:07:09 AM »
Hi Maria

I know it's been a long time, but any update on how you and your knees are doing?
My Post-op Diary: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=55672.0

Sep 2003: Major trauma to right knee; ruptured ACL, LCL, biceps femoris.
Sep 2003: LCL repair
Mar 2004: Lateral meniscus trim
Mar 2011: ACL + LCL/PLC recon w/L+R hamstring autograft

support