Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: I hope to God someone can shedd some light on this hip replacement, knee pain  (Read 869 times)

Offline iloveemma

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
I had a right hip replacement 5 years, followed by the left in 2007.  I have had weak quads.  Dr xrayed the knee and it showed little osteoarthritis .
I had PT last Sept for muscle strengthening. Also Synvisc for 5 weeks.  No relief.  When I got up from a sitting position my knees are very stiff and if I sit for more than 1/2 hr it is very difficult to bend the knees.  Also going up or downstairs is hard in my right knee.  It just doesn't want to bend.  Now it is starting to hurt.  I have read about torn meniscus and ACL.  I had a torn meniscus in 2001.  I wonder if the weakness is related to that.  I am going to my family Dr and get a second opinion and if he tells me that the quads then I'll go back to using my stair climber.  I know no one here can diagnose especially without doing a physical exam.  God knows i don't another major surgery .  The hips were hard enough.

Offline mmrocker13

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 7
Yes, it's probably a cominbation of weak quads and the knees adjusting to the new distribution of forces following your hips being replaced.

Weak quads are really, really, really common...PT is great, but you can't STOP once you feel better, it's something that has to be maintained and made a regular part of your regimine. I'd have your PT also check your glutes and ham strength (i.e. core), as well.
89: Pat. dislocation, lat. meniscus tear, femoral OCD lesion
89: debridement, chondroplasty, lateral partial menisectomy
02: partial lat. menisc., debride
02: mfx
09: subtotal menisc., debride, c'plasty
10: scope/debride
10: varus DFO
13: HWR
15: total menisc., debride, c'plasty, notchplasty

Offline iloveemma

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Yes, it's probably a combination of weak quads and the knees adjusting to the new distribution of forces following your hips being replaced.

Weak quads are really, really, really common...PT is great, but you can't STOP once you feel better, it's something that has to be maintained and made a regular part of your regimen. I'd have your PT also check your glutes and ham strength (i.e. core), as well.

Thanks for the response.  I never really thought about the change in the distribution of forces but that makes sense.   You think I would  might know that since I am an engineer and I have had a class or too about that.

So how long am I to continue the stair climbing or some type of exercise for that is good for the quads.  I go up and down stairs every day as I have a two story home.  I did do squats, the step, etc while in PT.  What other exercises would be good?

Why do the quads get so weak and why so common?

Thanks for your advice.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 11:36:09 PM by iloveemma »

support