Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: What time of day was your surgery?  (Read 2470 times)

Offline blometti

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
What time of day was your surgery?
« on: February 13, 2010, 01:22:25 AM »
hi
So I am going in to have a OATS allograft on monday, and I just got my time, 430pm. In the past Ive always been lucky and gotten the first spot of the day. For those that have had late times, what do you do all day? how do you manage not having anything to drink or eat....
just curious...
is there any rhyme or reason to the way they schedule surgery?

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
Re: What time of day was your surgery?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 01:29:51 AM »
I've had late time slots and I work in the morning. It keeps me busy and I really did not think about the not eating thing....though I was allowed a lite breakfast and clear liquids until 10am.

Karen
Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 08:15:42 AM »
   when I had my scope I was told to be at the hospital for 8am they did'nt tell me what time surgery would be but I think they like you in early
I was told to phone before I left home to check if they had a bed, so when I called I was told they did'nt have a bed right away but to come in and they would find one for me
when I arrived at the hospital I was asked to wait at admissions untill one became availible so I sat there and sat there it felt like forever, ended up we sat for 5 hours.This was the beginning of Jan so ortho ward's were full  of people with broken bones from slips in the ice
Eventually the decided to open a new ward in the day surgery dept and eventually got taken through about 1.30pm and after thar everything went very quickly so that was fine.
But imajine sittind at admissions about 10 feet from the cafe smelling all the lovely food and coffee and not being abel to eat or drink anything,
that  was not fun also I thought I would be going right to the word so had no make up on [no one sees me without make up]
so there was I at the front public part of the hospital sitting for 5 hours meetin everyone I knew with a naked face lol
L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 370
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 08:50:22 AM »
Mine was at 2pm, light breakfast by 8am, sips of water until noon which was time of admission.  The not eating thing was fine, was thirsty though!  I had a couple of rounds of sandwiches at around 7pm.  Although I only had to wait a couple of hours, I was bored, despite seeing the physio for my crutches lesson, the admissions nurse, the OS and anaesthetist in that time  ::)  I left the hospital at 9.30pm
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 03:07:10 PM by Vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 73
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 10:14:29 AM »
I had to be at the Hosptal for 7am and was not allowed to drink or eat from midnight onwards. I was one of the lucky ones I was in the operating theatre by 8:40am and was back in the ward by 10:40am and was given a cup of coffee and 2 slices of toast with butter by one of the nurses once I was back on the ward.

Nick :) {2010} :)
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline Dad3

• Forum Faithful
    • Perfectly Personalised Ltd
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 10:42:30 AM »
First operation i was required in the hospital by 10:00, nothing to eat after 18:00 the night before and nothing to drink after 22:00. finally had the operation at 19:00, so i had 9 hrs in the hospital room, before i got done. My wife was with me the whole time and had ordered lunch and dinner in the room, as the visitors room had been turned into a office.

2nd operation was planned for 19:00, but i was out shopping (keeping busy) and they phoned me at 11:30 to tell me that the operation was cancelled as the surgeon had a family emergency back in India, but i had been up since 5am (nerves) and hadn't eaten since the night before.

2nd operation, which was successfull in actually happening, was at 18;00, but i was needed in the hospital at 16;00. Was awake at 6:00 and i cleaned the house from top to bottom and did the weeks food shopping and just kept myself busy all day.

RT Knee collapsed 08/2009
MRI 10/2009 - torn ACL
Arthroscopy and MFX - 10/2009
ACL and OATS 11/2009
RT knee lateral release, mosaicplasty and medial reefing - 22nd September 2010.
Still not 100% OK :(

Offline lis1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 01:49:30 PM »
my last op was at 5.30pm had to be at the hospital for 4pm and i actually prefered it, was allowed light meal before 11am and drinks until midday.

Was back in my room by 9pm, was a bit annoying to have to be woken frquently for blood pressure checks etc but would be happy to have evening again should the need ever arise, which i hope it wont.

Lisa
remidial meniscemtomy 1994
scope and tidy up july 2006
acl reconstruction and microfractures oct 2006 (failed on both counts)
oats june 2008 - very successful
acl revision patella tendon - oct 09

Offline jg5118

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 02:30:07 PM »
My last surgery was at 4pm, had to be at the hospital at 2.30pm and was the only one on the list.

That morning I had early breakfast and then went for a facial and a back massage to treat myself!!!

Offline blometti

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 03:53:52 PM »
I like the idea of getting a massage before hand!! sounds like a good way to start the day, not to mention I have a 2 hour drive to get to the hospital.. I have a call into my doc to see if I can eat or drink anything. It seems that when surgery is that late in the day you are allowed to eat and drink something lite that morning.

Offline will1129

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 05:55:35 PM »
Early morning both times.
Deeply regret having knee surgery...hoping it can be fixed.

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2010, 06:30:17 PM »
I like the idea of getting a massage before hand!! sounds like a good way to start the day, not to mention I have a 2 hour drive to get to the hospital.. I have a call into my doc to see if I can eat or drink anything. It seems that when surgery is that late in the day you are allowed to eat and drink something lite that morning.

I was told nothing for at least 6 hours, hence the 8am cut off for a 2pm surgery (but only a light meal - I had cheerios, a banana and a cup of tea   ;D )
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15

Offline jg5118

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2010, 06:31:01 PM »
and make sure if you are allowed to eat something, make it slow release carbs such as some porridge as then you won't be so hungry.  

Offline fraud_ninja

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2010, 07:16:56 PM »
I've had everything from first in the morning to the last of the afternoon.  I would prefer first in the morning, but I do not object to later times.

I was told by my boss's wife (who used to be a scrub nurse) that they hospital takes several factors into account when making the surgery schedule.  First, they like to put elderly and young children in the early slots.  If there are no elderly or young children then they look at the surgeries scheduled and like to get the bigger and more major surgeries out of the way early as well.  So I guess in a way it just depends on who else is on the surgery schedule the same day as you.

If you have a late afternoon time, try to just focus on other things throughout the day.  For 5 of my 8 surgeries I had to make a 3 hour drive to the hospital so that helped take my mind off not being able to eat or drink all day.

Brianne
12/26/02 LR R
10/26/06 TTT R
1/25/07 TTT L
12/17/07 TTT revision, MPFL recon R
2/7/08 TTT revision, MPFL recon L
3/24/08 screw removal R
4/30/08 screw removal L

Knees are fixed, training for a triathalon.

9/21/09- Right ankle reconstruction

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2010, 11:24:06 PM »
Mine was done privately.  I was first on the list as the insurance company wouldn't pay for me to stay so I had to be discharged the same day.  Quite glad actually, although the nursing staff were quite surprised!
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15

Offline derek320

• Regular Poster
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2010, 04:58:15 AM »
My knee surgery was at 1:30pm, was pretty hungry by then and while I was waiting to be brought into the operating room I was left staring at a recovering patient eating a muffin and having juice, that made things much worse.

When my appendix was about to burst I didn't have the surgery until around midnight and that was a killer, I was starving by the time surgery rolled around because I hadn't eaten since the night before (over 24 hours), the doctors were a little confused as to why I was hungry though, they said most people are vomiting and and have no appetite when their appendix is about to rupture or has ruptured.
-Left knee history-
Oct 06- injured knee, MRI shows torn meniscus, no action
June 09- knee begins popping, MRI shows large OCD lesion
Aug 09- OCD lesion removed, microfracture surgery, partial meniscectomy
Jan 19- biopsy for MACI, partial meniscectomy
Apr 19- MACI implantantion, meniscus allograft