Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 2nd MPFL Surgery  (Read 801 times)

Offline darciw

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
2nd MPFL Surgery
« on: February 12, 2010, 09:30:11 PM »
I am having a third surgery on my knee in a couple of weeks.  For those who had a MPFL reconstruction, did you have a plastic button inserted to help the graft? 

I had my first surgery when I was 14 for a fractured patella and clean-up.  Had problems ever since...

In Sept. 09, had a MPFL reconstruction, lateral release, patella moved back into place with some shaving, along with basic clean-up.  About 4 - 6 weeks post-op, I started to get a "growth" on the right side of my patella and it was hurting my ROM.  I was only about 90 about 8 weeks post.  Instead of using an auto graft, I opted to use my hamstring tendon.  To attach the graft, there was a plastic button inserted for the stitches.

In December, I had the "growth" removed and they "de-bulked" some of the stitches around the button.  Everything seemed fine, 2 weeks post, the growth was coming back.  Went to see the doctor and the button is no longer attached to the graft.

I am having a third surgery (in 6 months) to remove the button and will also have scope done to determine if the graft took.  If not, I will be having another MPFL reconstruction.

Has this happen to anyone else?  If you don't have a button, what do you have to hold the graft?

Thanks for your help!
Darci