Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Rosehip and knee pain  (Read 22534 times)

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
Rosehip and knee pain
« on: February 12, 2010, 09:56:33 AM »
Does anyone out there take rosehip capsules or powder to help with OA knee pain? I have been religiously taking my Kordels Glucosamine and Chondroitin for about 3 months now and will be carrying on as they certainly haven't done any harm and the knee doesn't feel as sore as it could do or used to, certainly doesn't swell as much and is less stiff in the morning..... I got chatting to an ex rugby player at the gym this week who told me he takes rosehip capsules and has done for about 6 weeks now and has seen a significant improvement in his knee pain levels. He has pretty worn out knees after years of rugby and has had clear out scopes on both through the years that haven't really done that much long term for him. He trains 6 times a week and does a lot of balance work which I am sure also helps the knees...

So, as from yesterday I'm introducing Litozin rosehip capsules - you start off with 3 capsules twice a day for 3-5 weeks then drop to 2 capsules twice a day.

I'll be rattling with all these supplements..... ::)

Just wondered if anyone else had tried rosehip?

Thanks all

Lottie  ;D
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline runlolarun

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Rosehip and knee pain
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 09:14:39 PM »
Hey Lottie,

Haven't heard of rosehip for knee pain, but I have heard good things about ginger.  A woman I know from a running board has OA in her knees and swears that ginger keeps her running.  Anecdotal I know (however ginger is an anti-inflammatory), but may also be worth a shot.  I don't actually take it, myself, because I'm getting PRP so I sorta need the inflammation.  Wonder what rosehip is supposed to do?  Is it also anti-inflammatory?

take care,
lorien

Offline Natalie.D

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 10:25:14 PM »
Lottie,

Rosehip and Cabbage Leaves!  ;D  You'll be turning into a plant soon!  ;D ;D ;D

Natalie.
Dislocations since age 12
Trochlear Dysplasia
Maltracking
Hypermobile
LR/MR-failed
TTT, LR, MR L knee 95-Success
TTT, LR, MR R 02-Success
Screws out
Partial tear ACL
Severe end stage OA
4 Debridements
Partial Meniscectomy
Failed Microfracture
11mm Defect LFC
Bone Spurs, Kissing Lesions

Offline thevoice

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 10:18:42 PM »
how are you finding the rosehip? do you think its made a difference at the moment?

I take each day -

6 omega 3 fish oil
2 GS
1 vit d3
multi vit

Also supplement with creatine and whey protein

have been using the above for years now.

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 10:16:49 PM »
Well, I'm about 4.5 weeks in to the rosehip regime - they suggest 3 tablets twice a day for the first 3-5 weeks which I have been following. I think that they initially helped the general ache sensation - but the past week the knee (the bad leftie) had been sore, but I realised I had been slack with my rosehip and my glucosamine and chondroitin over about 5 days (busy work, travel, forgetting to take them) so I've gone back to the high doses again. I also niggled it by taping the patella which it simply doesn't like. I have to say that my not so bad right knee has really settled the past 4 weeks. The pain on the tibia has gone, the feeling of heat/ache under the kneecap is way better. The leftie continues to be troublesome but the damage is far worse there. But I would say that the general feeling of gnawing ache has reduced. I shall keep taking them, they sure can't harm!

Lottie  ;D

Offline Ros L

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 02:26:22 PM »
Does anyone out there take rosehip capsules or powder to help with OA knee pain? I have been religiously taking my Kordels Glucosamine and Chondroitin for about 3 months now and will be carrying on as they certainly haven't done any harm and the knee doesn't feel as sore as it could do or used to, certainly doesn't swell as much and is less stiff in the morning.

So, as from yesterday I'm introducing Litozin rosehip capsules - you start off with 3 capsules twice a day for 3-5 weeks then drop to 2 capsules twice a day.

Lottie  ;D

Yes, on a friend's recommendation, I started taking Litozin a few months ago.  I've been taking Glucosamine and MSM for years (no chondroitin  -strict vegetarian) and am not sure how much good that has done, though not stopping them in case it's more than I realise.

The Litozin was phenomenal. I've since moved on to using a different brand, Lewtress, which is apparently more concentrated and in non-gelatin caps (I was using Litozin powder sprinkled on food, which is a bit gritty).  I'm not sure whether the Lewtress are any better but it's convenient only having to take two caps per day, 12hrs apart.  When the present caps start to run out, I'm going to give Litozin another try to assess whether there is any difference.  I have the feeling Litozin might win.

Anyway, I've been able to more than half painkillers and reduced anti-inflammatories by a third, so now back onto the levels I had been taking 2 years ago, whereas before rosehip, I'd been having to increase the pharmaceuticals and wasn't able to move as well as I can now.

I'd firmly recommend rosehip to anybody.  No side effects, just lots less pain and stiffness.

Offline Ros L

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 02:29:45 PM »
Hey Lottie,

Haven't heard of rosehip for knee pain, but I have heard good things about ginger. 

Thanks for this.  I was looking for something to help me reduce the anti inflammatories as well so I'll give ginger a go.

Offline Brambledog

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 11:56:41 AM »
Well this is interesting stuff...

So... Glucosamine, chondroitin (I'd heard of those!), rosehip and ginger. Not to mention creatin and omega fish oils. Is there a combined source of these type of supplements anywhere?! Also, can you take rosehip syrup instead of a tablet?
Do you just take the recommended dose on the jar, or start lower and build up?

The main thing I was wondering is about brands for all these. I've read a lot about the fact that particularly with glucosamine, there is a lot of variation in the quality from brand to brand. Not to mention the very important factor that all these pills don't come cheap, so I want to be sure I'm getting value for money! Also where is the best place to get them? I've got a health food shop in town, but haven't been to town for ages so might as well get it online!

Thanks in advance  ;)
2009 - diagnosed coeliac
Aug 2011 - L knee arthroscopy
Aug 2011 - diagnosed PF arthritis L knee
Nov 2011 - diagnosed CRPS L knee
Dec 2011 - MRI R knee, PFOA is worse than L!
June 2012 - no surgery 'til TKR's
Nov 2012 - CRPS spread to L foot/thigh, increasing pain
- Worsening pain/symptoms R knee
;-)

Offline Brambledog

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 01:53:52 PM »
Well... since I asked my questions this morning I have been solidly on the Internet, researching the supplements! Cost is a factor for me, so I wanted to be sure that if I could only afford to do one or two, they were worth it for me. So I looked at cost, possible benefits v possible side-effects, reviews, medical studies, GAIT study from 2008, etc. Interesting stuff!

I'm not going to say why I've made my decisions because I know that some of you have experienced significant benefits from a supplement, and I've no wish to diss something that helps you. PLEASE don't take offence at my decisions.

But from what I've read...

- I am going to take LITOZIN (good science, positive studies, no known side-effects).

- I am not going to take glucosamine and chondroitin, or the omega oils.

- Not sure about the ginger, so I'm going to leave it for now and see how I get on with Litozin.

It was a very interesting day on the web...!

Brams  ;)

2009 - diagnosed coeliac
;-)

Offline SpinkHealth

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 10:18:46 AM »
Sorry to drag up an old thread but I'm about to run an informal trial of Litozin rosehip supplements amongst joint pain sufferers so this discussion caught my eye.

Are you still trying it, Brambledog / Lottie?

[Rest of thread edited by KNEEguru]
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 11:59:38 AM by The KNEEguru »

Offline Brambledog

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 10:38:10 AM »
Hi,

When I took part in this thread I was trying to find supplements that would help to reduce my pain since my arthroscopy - not long after I started taking the Litozin I was diagnosed with CRPS in that knee, and in all the turmoil of finding meds that suited me I stopped taking them and never started again. Fuzzy brain and pain combined meant that I forgot all about them.

I would definitely try them properly for your trial, but probably not for the left knee as the CRPS makes it hard to tell which pain is which. However, I have OA in my right knee as well which is quite bad at the moment, and do not have CRPS confusing the issue in that knee ::).

Brams  ;)
2009 - diagnosed coeliac
;-)

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2012, 12:25:12 PM »
Hi Spink

I am not taking it any longer. I think it kind of helped, but I then had some Euflexxa injections in my knees (visco type stuff) and found an awesome PT who worked on all my leg strength and my pain has pretty much subsided unless I am stupid and do daft things (jumping....). So, the rosehip kind of went from my regime!

Lottie

support