Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Fractured Patella  (Read 723 times)

Offline viggers

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Fractured Patella
« on: February 11, 2010, 08:32:14 PM »
Hi 6 weeks ago I broke my knee cap. I'm a 37yr old male.  I have had it wired and pinned.  I went back to hospital today and was told to start physiotherpy tomorrow as i cannot bend it.  The doctor then told me to my horror that they will operate again to remove these pins as im self employed this is terrible news for me.  Does any body know how long it takes to get the knee bending again so i can drive etc and also how long the operation is to remove the pins and what the recovery time is.

I look forward to any replies

Many thanks

Offline cleemc

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Fractured Patella
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 09:50:30 AM »
Hi - finally decided it's time to give back on these boards since they helped me so much. I too had a fractured patella and started physiotherapy after six weeks. That was last October. Now, over a year later, just had my hardware removed three days ago. I too am self-employed so the need for/cost of the hardware removal was a blow but boy am I glad I had it out. Note: There is no need to remove your hardware if it doesn't bother you. I have a friend who fractured her patella about five years ago and she's still got the hardware in and is fine. She's fully insured, there's just no need to get the hardware out. So you may get lucky. Mine started stabbing into something inside the knee, making it imperative to get it out. The knee moves a lot, so the hardware can shift. While it is costing me quite a bit (I have a $1,000 deductible and a $3,600 cap on out of pocket - plus, none of the preop tests were covered, so this will be costing me about $4,500) the surgery itself went really well. It's outpatient but will full anesthesia. The pain was sharp the first day or so, but now just three days later I'm walking around with no crutches, no cane, no nothing. The incision is much smaller, you don't lose any of the muscle gains you made in therapy, and all in all I am one happy camper. I'm sorry you're at the beginning of this journey and I know it's a bummer but if you put the work in in therapy, you'll do fine. And hopefully, your hardware won't bother you.