Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: I need to sleep!!!  (Read 2060 times)

Offline Aggiecatcher

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
I need to sleep!!!
« on: February 10, 2010, 04:50:06 PM »
So, I'm 3 months post injury.  My MRI showed a medial meniscus tear and bone bruising.  My OS wanted to wait six weeks before he scheduled the surgery to see if things calm down (he's very conservative). That was five weeks ago.  I've been ready since the appointment to get going with surgery and fix this thing, but at this point, I just want a good nights sleep. I've torn the medial meniscus in my right knee 4 times (had a meniscus transplant in 08), but this is my left knee (different doctor).  I have terrible pain when my knee is straight in bed or if I roll over.  Wakes me up every time with a sharp pain.  I have my follow up appointment in 6 days (yes, I'm counting), but I suspect I have at least three weeks until my surgery.  I've tried icing, wrapping, advil, and tylonol pm.  I'm desperate for a good nights sleep.  I even thought about getting out my knee immoblizer from my last surgery and locking my knee slightly flexed when I go to bed.  Any suggestions...I need some sleep!!!  I'm used to the daily pain from my knee, but the lack of sleep is brutal.

Offline maryc

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
Re: I need to sleep!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 07:36:19 PM »
I used Benedryl at night as a sleeping pill, my pharmasist recommended it.  It worked for me.
8/4/07 fell
8/5 diagnosed TPF
8/6 surgery plate and 6 screws
8/12 out of hospital NWM
8/21 staples removed
9/18 OS appt - WBAT with crutches
10/10 - WBAT with cane
10/27 - back to work w/cane
12/26 - no cane, slight limp when tired
1/25/08 - released from PT, no limp
2/3/09 - Released by OS

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 08:34:17 PM »
I find OTC Melatonin helpful.
Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 369
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 08:42:57 PM »
Have you tried sleeping with a pillow under your left knee, either when lying on your back or right side? If on your right side, it may be most comfortable having your left leg on your right one or over the top with your left foot on the bed - I found that most comfy when I first hurt mine, or even lying on the left in a similar position.  Different now post op. Either way I am turning over less and doing it very carefully.  I am not sure wearing a support to sleep is a good idea from a circulatory point of view?  If the OTC sleep aids don't work, could you get something mild (like a 3.5mg Zimovane/zopiclone) on rx from your doctor to use for a week while you get some decent rest?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 09:46:31 PM by Vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline SuckyKneesInNC

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 09:00:08 PM »
I use the Benedryl trick too... and the pillow works good too.

Offline tez27

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 09:25:38 PM »
I injured my knee a year and a half ago and since then have had problems sleeping eventualy went to g.p who prescibed temazipan to be used very sparingly as it can be adictive but if I have had 5 or 6 nights without a good sleep I will take one
its woth a try if its short term.
L K injured 25th June 2008
scope Jan 5th 10
diagnosis ACL rupture
fiberous band excised from acl
ACLr July 19th 2010  scope on 24th Sept 2011
ACL has failed incorrect tunnel placement
23rd July 2012 1st stage of a 2 stage ACL revision
10th May 2013 2nd stage ACL revision

Offline tenisfan

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 09:29:59 PM »
I would take a pain pill and put it in a brace so you have some sort of support at night. It always seems the pain is worse at night :)  Kim
2006 right knee surgery, meniscus
2008 left knee lateral release,  meniscus
2009 microfracture left knee, lateral meniscus,  fragment
2009 cartilage transplant oats
2010 loose fragment removal, meniscus fraying,found another defect
2010 oats failed, synvesic injections ,2011 right knee meniscus

Offline Aggiecatcher

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 09:51:13 PM »
Thanks for all of the suggestions.  I'm going to ask the doc for something to help me sleep until I get fixed.  I've been trying to get on his schedule for weeks, and I can't wait to have this injury move to the recovery stage.  I was prescribed Ambien for my MT, and it was really helpful. 

I've had achey pain in my knee from injuries before while sleeping, but this is downright painful.

As an aside, I'm going on vacation on March 20...so I'm torn between having surgery within 3 weeks of my departure (or maybe closer) or wait until I get back.  So, my unhappy decision is limp around with no sleep for 6 more weeks, or surgery just before my vacation.  Ugh...can't wait to be on the other side!

You guys are great...thanks.

Offline amymarshall

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 03:52:27 PM »
I'm sorry to hear about your injury. I have the same problem with sleep just a different injury, I fracture my lateral tibial plateau and have it repaired with a metal plate and three pins. Now my leg is hurting where the support pin is and my knee conatantly aches. The sharp pain happens if I try and straighten my knee while lying in bed. The answer, My GP gave me Naproxen designed for joint pain. It's very useful and stop the pain within 1 day. Also it you can get a heat pad, and just before you go to bed, rest your knee on a pillow and heat for 20m minutes, your knee won't be as stiff in the morning and you can actually get a decent nights sleep.

I hope all goes well for you.
Amy Marshall

Offline Aggiecatcher

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 07:45:23 PM »
Thanks Amy.  I just got my surgery date...next Wednesday, so hopefully I only have one more week (and a couple of days) of uncomfortable sleep!!!!

Last night was miserable, but I feel optimistic that I'll be done with this misery in a week!!!

Offline amymarshall

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 09:25:57 PM »
I hope all goes well. A tip, depending on how long your in hospital make friends with one of the nurses they will get you everything.

Amy

Offline Aggiecatcher

• Regular Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 10:18:35 PM »
I hear you!!!  Thankfully I'm just going for an outpatient procedure, but I will certainly be treat the nurses with the utmost respect.  I've been through this several times before, and I can't wait to get this one over and get back to my full strength.

Heal well!!  I'm so excited to get some good sleep!!!

support