Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Fit person but with 2 sore knees despite no changes to routine  (Read 835 times)

Offline spinnaker

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Fit person but with 2 sore knees despite no changes to routine
« on: February 10, 2010, 11:48:22 AM »
Hi everyone,

I have just stumbled across this forum and the advice it gives seems to be exactly what I am looking for.

I am a 30 year old guy and I am in decent shape. I go to the gym after work about 4 times a week. I generally do a 25 minute stint on the eliptical/cross trainer followed by some upper body weights and then another 15 minutes on the cross trainer. I do workout quite vigourously but have been doing the same sort of routine for the last 6 years or so without any trouble.

About a week ago I experienced some dull pain at the front of both of my knees. I took a 3-4 days off from the gym and then went back again on Monday this week. I have got the same achy knee pain at the front of my knees again and it seems to be lingering. I still have the same achy pain today. It is the same sensation on both of my knees. It feels like it is coming from just below my knee cap. It feels a little like it would if it was just stiff. I can feel the dull ache even when sitting down at my desk at work. I can walk fine and there is no sharp pain at anytime just this dull ache.

What does this sound like it might be? Have I just overdone it or is it something more serious? Should I be worried? Is there anything I can do to help it other than taking it easy? Is there any more info I can give you that might help?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice!

Offline spinnaker

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Fit person but with 2 sore knees despite no changes to routine
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 04:36:23 PM »
The only other thing that pops to mind that might be significant is that I have now got a different chair at work? I got a replacement chair that I use for most of the working day during the week. The new chair is at a similar height, angle, etc so I don't know if this could be having any impact? I certainly don't do anything strenuous or anything differently in the new chair. Could this be the problem?

Offline Natalie.D

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 09:26:59 PM »
Hi there,

It could be a number of things and nobody can obviously tell you for sure apart from an OS, it would be a good idea to get it checked out if it persists.  It sounds like it could be tendonitis, sounds very similar to symptoms I had and it turned out to be tendonitus but thats just a vague guess, maybe give the exercising a rest for a week or so and ice the knee and keep it raised up on a pillow for 20 mins or so each day and see if it improves, if not, I would suggest going to your doc just to be sure.  Good luck.

Natalie.
Dislocations since age 12
Trochlear Dysplasia
Maltracking
Hypermobile
LR/MR-failed
TTT, LR, MR L knee 95-Success
TTT, LR, MR R 02-Success
Screws out
Partial tear ACL
Severe end stage OA
4 Debridements
Partial Meniscectomy
Failed Microfracture
11mm Defect LFC
Bone Spurs, Kissing Lesions

Offline maryc

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 01:29:02 AM »
Although I'm not qualified to diagnose this by any way, shape or form I too think it sounds like tendonitis.  Here's a link to the Mayo Clinic site that may help
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/patellar-tendinitis/DS00625

Also this site has some excellant information
http://www.ubsportsmed.buffalo.edu/education/pattend.html

Sending healing rays your way
8/4/07 fell
8/5 diagnosed TPF
8/6 surgery plate and 6 screws
8/12 out of hospital NWM
8/21 staples removed
9/18 OS appt - WBAT with crutches
10/10 - WBAT with cane
10/27 - back to work w/cane
12/26 - no cane, slight limp when tired
1/25/08 - released from PT, no limp
2/3/09 - Released by OS

Offline spinnaker

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 08:56:20 AM »
Thanks to you both for the excellent suggestions. I will go and read up on tendonitis now. :)

Thanks again!