Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: OS won't order CPM therapy for TPF 3wks post-ORIF  (Read 837 times)

Offline CivilEng

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
OS won't order CPM therapy for TPF 3wks post-ORIF
« on: February 10, 2010, 12:06:15 AM »
Ladder went out from under me and shattered my TP.  External fixator done in ER, then had ORIF with bone graft, 2 plates, 9 screws 4 days later.  Went home 2 days after that with full splint.  Staples removed 10 days later, splint replaced with hinged brace with orders to make it to 90degree flexion in 4 wks.  1 week into the brace I'm at 45 degrees, frustrated, depressed, and very interested in CPM machine.  But OS won't order, saying that the CPM is not "good" for my type injury.
I'm told some OS's like CPM and others don't.  I'm wondering if this is preference or my OS has some real good reasons for my not using the CPM.  Anybody else out there got a similar story or background?
1/16/10 fell off ladder, TPF, ext fixator
1/20 ORIF with 2 plates, 9 screws
2/2 staples out, missed one
2/22 I&D, antibiotic beads for enterococcus
2/23-3/24 Vancomycin IV -> allergic
4/28 2nd I&D remove hdwe, place exfx
5/19 3rd I&D

Offline mmrocker13

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 7
Re: OS won't order CPM therapy for TPF 3wks post-ORIF
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 12:44:52 AM »
My OS also says no CPM for a fracture/non joint/cartilage/ligament injury (I had a DFO, followed by a second fracture elsewhere in the femur). His theory is I can do the work myself, and NEED to do it myself. And since there is no rebuilt cartilage to be careful of, it's not something that needs to be controlled by machine.

My brace is unlocked to 90, and I've just been plugging away doing heel slides and assisted bends. Before the 2nd fracture, I'd get out of bed and lie on the floor with my legs up and leg gravity help, as well.

I was at 70 deg. 5 days post op... the 2nd fracture set me back again, but am now back to about 65-70 again. I can't get much farther than that IN the brace though--it's just too big and bulky. I am two weeks post op today.

Basically...you just have t o keep working away at it, and know that it IS going to hurt a bit. "Good pain", I guess.
89: Pat. dislocation, lat. meniscus tear, femoral OCD lesion
89: debridement, chondroplasty, lateral partial menisectomy
02: partial lat. menisc., debride
02: mfx
09: subtotal menisc., debride, c'plasty
10: scope/debride
10: varus DFO
13: HWR
15: total menisc., debride, c'plasty, notchplasty

Offline CivilEng

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 01:43:45 AM »
ah, my PT suspected both self-motivation as well as concern over all the hardware I have.
thanks for the perspective and good luck with your progress. 
1/16/10 fell off ladder, TPF, ext fixator
1/20 ORIF with 2 plates, 9 screws
2/2 staples out, missed one
2/22 I&D, antibiotic beads for enterococcus
2/23-3/24 Vancomycin IV -> allergic
4/28 2nd I&D remove hdwe, place exfx
5/19 3rd I&D

Offline jumpi5d

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 04:47:21 AM »
I'm completely opposite of mmrocker.... I was in a CPM when I woke up from have both of my surgeries. I can't imagine not having used it. My ROM was at 80-90 both times when I left the hospital on day 4 post op. I can't imagine having to do it completely on my own.
-Paige

3/5/09 Right Distal Femoral Osteotomy for Patella Alignment 
11/19/09 Left DFO for Patella Alignment.