Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Suggestions about knee issues?  (Read 4287 times)

Offline rebel78

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Suggestions about knee issues?
« on: February 09, 2010, 11:31:04 PM »
First of all, Hi everyone, I am a massage therapist and new to this forum and I am hoping that I can find some help to an issue I've been having with my knees in this site.

I'll try to be brief but give as much detail as possible in regards of my problem.

The problem I've been having with both of my knees is due to a high level of pain that seems to only happen either when I run, walk long distances or go up the stairs repetitively. I can't recall when this started to happen since I haven't have any injuries that might have caused this issue. I try to assume that it might have been caused by a Power Lifting program I did years ago, even though during the training I never suffered form any pain, I just didn't run at that time so I wouldn't have been able to notice any discomfort.

Basically, the pain starts on the lateral side of the knees, usually both knees start hurting at the same time and once the pain is present it starts from little pain to a point that even walking can be painful. The pain extends, as it starts increasing, from the lateral knee towards the center of the knee. It never reaches the medial side nor the frontal (patellar region) or back side of the knee. The pain usually is gone after a night of sleep, unless I spend a day walking, then the pain will be present the next day as well.

At the beginning I thought it was associated with the IT band since the pain would start on the lateral side, but once the pain started to extend to the center, I started wondering if it was more than the IT band or something else.

So far I've only got x-ray done and the came out negative in all aspects, nothing found in them.

Does anyone have any idea what could be the reason of this issue?

Offline rebel78

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Suggestions about knee issues?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 11:37:38 PM »
I would also like to add that I have used a knee support similar like this one, before doing any of the physical activities mentioned and it doesn't help... probably it helps increase the pain.

Offline mmrocker13

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 12:47:48 AM »
I'd say it still sounds a lot like ITBS, esp. since it doesn't radiate to the back of the lrg or the patellar/medial areas.

How is your core strength (glutes and hips and quads)? See if you can't work on building those up, paired with a foam roller or The Stick on yoru IT bands themselves, and some ibuprofen. A good sports or running-specific PT can give you a regimine to address your weaknesses.
89: Pat. dislocation, lat. meniscus tear, femoral OCD lesion
89: debridement, chondroplasty, lateral partial menisectomy
02: partial lat. menisc., debride
02: mfx
09: subtotal menisc., debride, c'plasty
10: scope/debride
10: varus DFO
13: HWR
15: total menisc., debride, c'plasty, notchplasty

Offline rebel78

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 05:52:08 AM »
hi mmrocker13

I have completed a workout program called P90X which is very intense and when it comes about the core muscles I've worked them out like crazy.

I am planning on getting a foam roller so I can work the IT band and see what happens. It is weird since I have checked on any tension while I have the pain and it feels the same as when I don't have the pain.

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 08:25:14 AM »
Have you ever had your gait checked? If it is happening on both sides there may well be a biomechanical issue going on. I get medial pain in exactly the same place in both knees and that is made worse by running or impact activity. P90X has a lot of plyometrics in it doesn't it, how did the knees cope with those? My knees hated trying something called Insanity which is a similar intensive set up - just couldn't manage the impact work despite being strong enough through the core and so on. The fact that the patella cut out support made the pain worse suggests there may be an issue in how the patella is tracking and possible wear - again, I can't wear anything with a cut out patella buttress as it makes the lateral patella wear feel much much worse. i do find a Cho pat strap under the knee can help though, as can a normal non cut out sleeve support which acts as warmt as well.

I'd urge you to check out your gait if possible. It might be ITB syndrome, but I thought that usually got better during the actual running then tightened up the following day; you don't say this is the pattern. The only way to find out more would be an MRI to explore cartilage and ligaments etc...

Good luck!

Lottie  :)
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline rebel78

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 06:03:31 PM »
Hi Lottiefox  :)

I finished P90X and never had any pain or issues with my knees, actually because of how good I did I thought the issue had gone away (specially after the plyometrics workout). I actually got a copy of the Insanity program but haven't had the time to do it. An MRI was actually something that I wanted to do but I was trying to find information online first before actually doing it since they are usually pricey.

Thank you for the reply. This is something I really want to take care of because not only I love outdoor walking and running but also as a fan of martial arts this is really getting on the way of me doing any of these activities.

Offline mmrocker13

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 07:01:27 PM »
hi mmrocker13

I have completed a workout program called P90X which is very intense and when it comes about the core muscles I've worked them out like crazy.

I am planning on getting a foam roller so I can work the IT band and see what happens. It is weird since I have checked on any tension while I have the pain and it feels the same as when I don't have the pain.

P90X is good for a lot of stuff, esp. for overall strength and explosive power. I woudl def. see about working on the small, balancy type muscles and your proprioception to add to it...hopefully that will help as well.
89: Pat. dislocation, lat. meniscus tear, femoral OCD lesion
89: debridement, chondroplasty, lateral partial menisectomy
02: partial lat. menisc., debride
02: mfx
09: subtotal menisc., debride, c'plasty
10: scope/debride
10: varus DFO
13: HWR
15: total menisc., debride, c'plasty, notchplasty