Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Soccer player- ACI & Meniscal transplant diary and the road to recovery  (Read 15720 times)

Offline tremy1977

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hi everyone.

Thought I'd do this diary as i've found some of the others on here really helpful leading up to my treatment.

briefly - im having the ACI combined with a full meniscus replacement. After years of playing soccer my knee finally gave away in dec 2007.  3 operations later including a microfratcure i've finally been told that the ACI is my only option other than a knee replacement and at 33 that's out of the question.

I had my 1st stage ACI done today at Oswestry Hospital England. 08.02.2010

I went into hospital the day before as they needed to take 18 tubes of blood from me that's used for the cartilage harvesting procedure.
after a night stay over i went to surgery first thing to have the biopsy done via an arthroscopy, this was only a quick operation and within an hour and a half i was back in my room recovering. i was told that my knee was in a stable condition and apart from the biopsy i just needed a small debridement of an anterior osteophyte (a small bone growth) that was on the front of my knee.

Apart from some small shooting pains i must say my knee really isn't in any discomfort. I was given pain killers that have worked a treat. if anyone is nervous going into the 1st stage like i was i have to say there not much to worry about as i've been great up to now. I did walk out on crutches even though i'm able to put my weight if only tenderly through my leg already.

My 2nd stage operation is set for the 02.03.2010.

I'll keep everyone updated as i go on

Cheers
Paul

« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 10:56:23 AM by tremy1977 »

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
Hi Paul

Good luck with everything on the 2nd March. Oswestry has a very good reputation from what I've read so you're in good hands. Can you give me a bit more information about the location and size of your damage? I'm pondering ACI at the moment so it is good to hear how people get on. I wondered how bad that first harvest is and it sounds like you've come through pretty easily. Can I also be really nosey and ask if you're getting this done through the NHS? (Sorry!)

Keep us posted and all best wishes that things go smoothly for you,

Lottie  :)
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline tremy1977

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Hi Lottie

I asked that today regarding the size of the defect in my knee and the surgeon said it was big but he has repaired bigger. He didn't give me any details with regards to the details of the damage. The defect is on the lateral side of my knee so its the ouside. i think my problem has stemed from my meniscus being so badly damaged that i need it all replaced with a ACTIFIT one !!!

No need to apologise for asking about the NHS, the answer is yes. i had the microfrature done in may 2008 and was referred from Dr barton-hansson in Liverpool to Oswestry in september i think so really i havent waited long to have the opertaion. i had a little look at going private and the ACI op ranged from £7500..yikes !!!

have you been told your damaged area is really large then in your knee ??

honestly the 1st stage is a breeze and im no expert on operations. if your ok getting blood taken you'll be fine.

Paul

Offline tremy1977

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Hi Everyone
3 days post op now from the biopsy and the swelling seems to be going down now. I've had a look at the wounds and the biopsy of the good cartilage has been taken from the top of my knee on the inside. The incision is just under the corner of my quad at the bottom of my thigh. Although im now able to walk around tenderly its still a little sore in the joint but looking good anyways considering.

bye for now.

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
Hi Paul

Glad to hear things are healing up nicely! I realised I had posted on your other thread about what kind of damage you have - d'oh - had totally forgotten I'd asked you the same questions somewhere else....must be the knee syndrome affecting the memory.... ::)

My damage is lateral patella and small lesion medial femoral condyle. Lateral patella is "significant" with some thinning across the rest of the patella. Not been given any measurements but I'm due to have a T2 MRI mapping and CT scan on the bones next week to establish extent and depth of damage. This is being done as I'm being considered as a candidate for a new process using your own stem cells and a collagen cell called Cartifill. It is only suitable up to 3cm squared though but is meant to be good for the patella as it hardens quickly. (Kind of like silly putty I think!). If defects are too big then it would be ACI. I'm undecided about surgery at the moment - my left knee isn't fully functional and any impact work is out of the question but it isn't totally dire. Pain is pretty minimal, I train 5 times a week at the gym and have full ROM (with some sound effects) etc. But, I know it isn't right and I fear that left alone the defects will only get worse and might not be amenable to salvage. Its a tough call though. Patella defects are notoriously hard to mend.... :-\

Anyway, you're on count down to the main event - and I wish you all the best for a speedy recovery!

Lottie  ;D

Offline b5 mlb

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
hi lottie at what hops are you having it done . i go to see os on monday week , to talk about aci i think i may need it on both knee :'(all from dooing a lot of road biking 100 miles a week i feel like my life is going down hill. bilking is my life  :(.

Offline Rennschnecke

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
Hi b5 mlb

I know it won't be like real biking, but the rehab from ACI involves a lot of cycling on a static bike.  Maybe you could have a fan going and a recording of ambient traffic sounds to create an atmosphere to make it more like what you love?! ;)
1/05 Ski accident: 5/05 ACLr LK; 10/06 Scope – debridement, trochlear cartilage lesion (Gr4); 12/08 Scope – chondroplasty, hematoma; 5 & 6/09 MACI patella & trochlea 'kissing lesions', ROM 0 to 80; 9/09 Scope – LOA, IPCS & patella infera; 9/10 Scope – AIR & LR.

Offline b5 mlb

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
hi rennschnecke. i can not wait to see the os a week on monday , my left knee is the bad :-[ one but my right one is starting to get bad , it is poping and clicking it is sore. :-[. i had a mri on it 8 months ago.the os said i has wear in the fount of the knee but he said it was ok. i wonder if all the cycling as damage my knees. is cycling that good for you.

Offline DCFC Ole Ole Ole

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Hi Paul. My name is James and I am from Ireland originally but have been living in Melbourne Australia for the past 4 years. I have just found out today that I need the same double procedure that you had (ACI and a meniscus transplant in the one operation). I have also played football my whole life (I am 34 years old) although not professionally, and would love to be able to play again one day. Realistically though the best I can hope for is to be able to do daily activities without any pain (especially walking up stairs).

My original injury was 4 years ago when I tore my anterior cruciate, meniscus and articular cartilage. I had my cruciate fixed with a hamstring graft and then had a microfracture 2 years ago to try and fix the damage to the articular cartilage but this has been unsuccessful.

I only found out today so do not have any dates yet, especially since my OS is talking about getting a donor meniscus so that may take a while. Please keep updating your post and letting us know how you get on, I will probably be a few months behind you but will be very intereseted in how your main op goes and how the rehab works out.

Offline tremy1977

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Hi everyone.

its been a week now since the 1st procedure and after a very good first few days post op to be honest my im in a bit of agony now. The problem i have, is my knee is now locking which it hasnt done since before i had the microfracture done in may 08. The PT did say i may get a bit of catching but i didn't expect it to be so bad. Im still on the crutches for walking and stuff. Im bending the knee to about 45 degrees and it feels just stiff doing that and not much pain so thats good, its just the locking thats giving me the uncomfortable pain. Stroll on my main op now !!

Alright James, sounds like you've got the exact same problem as me mate !! they offered me the donar meniscus but over here(Liverpool) you have to go through the funding and a long wait for the meniscus. The OS did put me down on the donar list but it was quicker and practical to have ACTIFIT meniscus, apparently the problem is getting someone who is a similar size to you and stuff and then it can reject like any transplant. I'll keep you informed tho on here with regards to the operations and rehab and that.

speak to you soon
Paul

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
Hi Paul

Ouch ouch ouch! Bummer about the locking up now - I bet you're on countdown to the 2nd March even more so!

I really wish I could stop thinking of the Kwik Fit advert when I read about your ACTIFIT meniscus....."you can't fit quicker than a kwik fit fitter...etc etc.....". I have visions of the OS in blue overalls whistling a merry tune!

I have my T2 scans and CT scan this Thursday down in Kent to see what the deal is re treatment options.....having some good days where I wonder if I should just leave things alone and suck up the pain/restrictions but then a few days of freefall and more pain and cracking and locking and I realise my life is missing so much - hiking, descending stairs properly, squatting down for things, circuit training, proper biking up a hill, even planning a decent day out with my hubby without thinking of painkillers, ice, terrain etc...

So, I'll be wishing you all the best for the 2nd!

Take care

Lottie  :D

Offline tremy1977

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
ha ha ha thats funny....
best of luck on thursday, i hope everything goes well with the scans.

let me know how you get on.

Offline Rennschnecke

• SuperKNEEgeek
i wonder if all the cycling as damage my knees. is cycling that good for you.
Hi b5 mlb (apologies to Paul for hijacking your thread)

Cycling is thought to be good for rehab as the forces on the knee are less than FWB exercises.  However, I think the set up of the bike and your own biomechanics have roles to play.  I have seen some people at the gym who are likely to have knee problems in the longer run owing to poor alignment and biomechanical movements compounded by a set-up that will place extra stress on the knees.

Clearly can't comment on your own problems.  Could they be the result of falls or other types of accidents?  Perhaps you could talk it through with your OS.

I'm really sorry that both knees are hurting.  Everyone here know what knee pain is like and when it goes on it is very wearing.  Hang on in there and hope you get to see some light soon!
1/05 Ski accident: 5/05 ACLr LK; 10/06 Scope – debridement, trochlear cartilage lesion (Gr4); 12/08 Scope – chondroplasty, hematoma; 5 & 6/09 MACI patella & trochlea 'kissing lesions', ROM 0 to 80; 9/09 Scope – LOA, IPCS & patella infera; 9/10 Scope – AIR & LR.

Offline tremy1977

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Hi everyone

2 weeks post op now and im still on crutches from the 1st stage op. My knee is still really stiff and is locking when i try to walk un aided so not good as i wasn't like this before the op. it feel like the problem i have is from where the graft was taken ! has anybody else had that problem after the first stage  ?

Just hoping now its all sorted when i go in next monday for the 2nd stage.

keep you all posted.

Offline Rennschnecke

• SuperKNEEgeek
Hi Paul

They don't normally take cartilage samples from areas that are load bearing or get wear so the locking shouldn't be from that.  I know that I felt better after the biopsy because the knee got a washout and it removed all the rubbish from the hemarthrosis back in December.  It's possible that the locking might be a natural progression from the condition that leads you to have ACI.  Have you contacted your OS about your concerns?

Three weeks from biopsy to second stage is really quick!  Sounds like your case is being accelerated!  Good luck!

support