Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Do you have to stay in hospital after the op?  (Read 1316 times)

Offline Smessie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Do you have to stay in hospital after the op?
« on: February 09, 2010, 03:23:21 PM »
Hi all I am due to go in for surgery on my knee TTT in the next coming months whenever a free slot comes about however the consultant said that I would have to stay in the hopsital for up to 3 days after the op. Is that usual? Also if I wanted to could I leave earlier?  :-\

I do not mind so much having to stay in however the hospital I am going to is over an hour away from where I live and I know my partner will want to come and see me as much as possible and we really haven't got the money for doing so many trips.

Also how do you find out the visiting times for a hospital as their website doesn't tell me a thing?!  ???

|

Offline Kris

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • My Wonderful Friend--Hobo RIP
Re: Do you have to stay in hospital after the op?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 03:50:11 PM »
I think as far as the 3 day stay, it is true.  When I had gone in with the possibility of the TTT, that's exactly what they told me as well.  I think that's just something standard that docs say.  However, it depends on the patient.  If the doc, rehab, nursing staff feels that you are capable of fending for your basic needs, then they may let you go home earlier.  Especially if you have someone to help care for you.  I'd say plan on at least 1 day.

As for the visiting hours, call or usually we'll have a pre-op appointment, ask the question then.

Kris
Right  LR on 2/8/02,  7/11/03, and 11/5/05
Left leg LR on 5/02, 4/05
Right achilles tendon lengthened on 2/01.   Synvisc injections on 2/17/03. 
Cortisone on 12/03 and 3/04, 12/05. 
Proximal Reallignment Right 5/23/05
R Microfracture 5/19/06
PFJR 6/20/07

Offline MedicMom

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 04:32:30 PM »
I just had my TTT last Wed and I was home the same day.  I did not have to stay.  Looking back on it now though, I would have preferred to stay for 2 or 3 days , if for nothing else but pain control.

I think it depends on your OS and the hospital.  Being in Canada, our hospitals and doc's like to get you in and out as quickly as possible.  So unless absolutely necessary, they send you home.

I also had someone to take care of me and help me at home, if I was going home alone they would have kept me.  And like you , I live an hr away from the hospital.
March 09 Bilateral Early compatmental OA
March 09 Medial/Lateral Meniscal Tear of RT knee with patellofemoral chondromalacia and ligament strain.
April 09  Patella Alta RK, deficiant femoral condyle RK, laterally flattened and foreshortened patellar groove RK
Feb 3rd 2010 TTT, menisectomy

Offline mmrocker13

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 05:38:39 PM »
I had a DFO, not a TTT, but...my surgeon said I'd be in hospital from one to three days. Basically, it depends on how well you're doing with A) fending for yourself B) going to the bathroom and C) managing your pain. I checked in on a Tuesday AM, and was released Wednesday evening. I am about 45-60 minutes from the hospital, but my  husband works in between, so he stopped in for lunch one day. I would have been fine though, without a visitor. Bored, but okay.

I'd check the hospital's web site or the materials they sent you preop for the hours. Failing that, just call them and ask.
89: Pat. dislocation, lat. meniscus tear, femoral OCD lesion
89: debridement, chondroplasty, lateral partial menisectomy
02: partial lat. menisc., debride
02: mfx
09: subtotal menisc., debride, c'plasty
10: scope/debride
10: varus DFO
13: HWR
15: total menisc., debride, c'plasty, notchplasty

Offline ipswich1984

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 07:13:42 PM »
I had my TTT last friday, when I arrived at the hospital the nurse went through some paperwork with me and said that my estimated discharge date was the sunday.

However when I came back to the ward after the surgery I spoke to the OS and Physio and they said I could go home that day as long as there were no issues regarding pain and getting around.

The same happened with my TTT last year as well.

A lot of it will depend on the surgery and how you are after as well as the OS/Physio's normal procedure.
November 2005 - Arthroscopy RK.
December 2006 - LR RK.
Febuary 2008 -
RK Subluxation. Back to physio.
October 2008 -
Put on waiting list for TTT/LR.
Told I have Hypermobile joints.
March 2009 -
TTT/LR RK.
11th Jan -
OS agreed removal of screws
5th Feb 2010 -
TTT/LR scheduled for LK

Offline Smessie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 07:26:32 PM »
Hi all thanks for your comments have been very informative and helpfull! Its the waiting now for the phonecall to say can you come in thats the annoying as I just don't know when it is going to happen.

IPS: glad that you were allowed to go home early how was the op? Is it really as painful as I have read??? Are you able to get round ok or were you resting for the first few days? Sorry for all the questions just I am not sure really what to expect!

Thanks  :)

Offline ipswich1984

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 07:41:27 PM »
The TTT I had last year was really painful, this year hasnt been so bad but the pain has increased the last couple of days. As long as you get some decent pain meds and keep ahead of the pain then you should be fine, you just need to expect that it is quite painful to begin with.

I have managed to get around the house, but have mostly been resting.

I have a post op diary which might help which explains about my TTT last year and how things have been so far this time.
December 2006 - LR RK.
Febuary 2008 -
October 2008 -
March 2009 -
TTT/LR RK.
11th Jan -
OS agreed removal of screws
5th Feb 2010 -
TTT/LR scheduled for LK

Offline Natalie.D

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 07:49:34 PM »
Smessie,

I was the same as Ipswich, the OP was pretty painful but as has been said, if you keep on top of your meds it should be manageable.  My first week I was pretty much resting with my leg raised up, a good time to catch up with phone calls, emails etc, I was only really doing what was necessary for the first few days to a week, so just take it easy, don't try to do too much your first week and make sure you keep up with your meds and you should be fine.  Good luck.

Natalie.
Dislocations since age 12
Trochlear Dysplasia
Maltracking
Hypermobile
LR/MR-failed
TTT, LR, MR L knee 95-Success
TTT, LR, MR R 02-Success
Screws out
Partial tear ACL
Severe end stage OA
4 Debridements
Partial Meniscectomy
Failed Microfracture
11mm Defect LFC
Bone Spurs, Kissing Lesions

Offline Smessie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 07:56:02 PM »
Hi Ips/Natalie

Thank you both for your help and advice! I am at college so have informed that I could be called any day to be have it done and they are fine with that and I have said that I will probably have to have at least a week off before I can come back in.

Ips a post op diary would be really helpful to read where can I find it.

Thanks

Offline ipswich1984

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 08:03:57 PM »
The post op diaries are under The Rehab Department on the main menu for the message boards.

Mine is in the Post Op Diaries (<100).

But here is a link for you:

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=50025.0

Any questions just ask.
December 2006 - LR RK.
Febuary 2008 -
October 2008 -
March 2009 -