Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Should I brave surgery?  (Read 834 times)

Offline jillmiami

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Should I brave surgery?
« on: February 08, 2010, 10:27:02 PM »
Hello Fellow People with Knee Pain,
I was struck by a car a year ago while riding my bike. I fell on my knee and have had knee pain since. At first the MRI showed problems w/ my patella and small tear in my meniscus and an MCL sprain. I went through p.t. for 4 weeks, my knee pain subsided, but returned a few months ago. Anywho, I went back to the doctor. He wants to perform an arthroscopy to clean up my knee, which is seems fine by me. However, when I was in his office today he mentioned he would also possibly perform a lateral release of the soft tissue since my kneecap is tilted. After reading up on this I am not keen on getting this done. After reading the forum here, I am thinking of asking the surgeon to not do this unless absolutely necessary. It seems a little drastic and since both of my kneecaps are tilted obviously I've been gettin along fine most of my life. My only argument for getting this done is that I won't have the surgery financially covered if I wait too much longer (as I live in the US and don't foresee us getting our universal healthcare package passed).
any feedback would be welcomed!
thanks oodles
jill

Offline mmrocker13

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 7
Re: Should I brave surgery?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 11:46:25 PM »
PErsonally...were it I, I'd probably do the scope and get the tear and the "floaties" cleaned up, but I'd NOT to the lateral release unless I am continually plagued down the road.
89: Pat. dislocation, lat. meniscus tear, femoral OCD lesion
89: debridement, chondroplasty, lateral partial menisectomy
02: partial lat. menisc., debride
02: mfx
09: subtotal menisc., debride, c'plasty
10: scope/debride
10: varus DFO
13: HWR
15: total menisc., debride, c'plasty, notchplasty

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 11:49:30 PM »
I have to agree.  LR's are done far too often for the wrong reasons and end up making things worse.
Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline Natalie.D

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 08:49:42 PM »
Hi there,

As far as I'm aware I think that a LR should ONLY really be done for a patella tilt, although it seems to be done in nearly every major op, I had the LR intially for dislocations and it was totally useless, it was never going to correct my problems as I also had trochlear dysplasia (non-existent and very shallow grooves) so in some ways it actually made my problems worse, BUT, I have heard that a LR, done for the correct reasons, ie, patella tilt, can be successful.  I would talk it over with your OS and if possible get a second opinion, ask your OS why he's recommending the LR and what benefits you will get from it.  Good luck with whatever you decide.

Natalie.
Dislocations since age 12
Trochlear Dysplasia
Maltracking
Hypermobile
LR/MR-failed
TTT, LR, MR L knee 95-Success
TTT, LR, MR R 02-Success
Screws out
Partial tear ACL
Severe end stage OA
4 Debridements
Partial Meniscectomy
Failed Microfracture
11mm Defect LFC
Bone Spurs, Kissing Lesions

Offline jt801

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 10:31:03 PM »
Hi-you didnt mention if you are suffering from chondromalacia (softening of the cartilage under your patella) and having pain under the outside part of your kneecap. If you are and its being caused by the misalignment of your patella, then the LR might be worth considering. I had this procedure done 10 years ago and i didnt think it was that big of deal. I walked out of the hospital and was running and playing sports in 6 weeks. On the other hand i cant positively say that the procedure was an overwhelming success-i have had pain periodically on the outside of my kneecap since the surgery, although not as much as before. In my opinion i don't think you will regret having the LR done, but if you are not having any symptoms you may not feel that it benefited you much. Just my thoughts- good luck!
12/99 left knee lateral release and plica removal
1/09 right knee chondroplasty and microfracture LFC