Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Anyone Else?  (Read 867 times)

Offline Natalie.D

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Anyone Else?
« on: February 08, 2010, 10:00:53 PM »
Hi,

I've had ongoing problems with my knees for the last 30 years, to cut a very very long story short, my dislocations have been rectified, my major problem just now is severe OA and I'm hypermobile, but, my question is, has anyone with severe OA in their knees started having problems with their hips?  For the last year my hips are giving me a lot of trouble, I can only lie on each side for a maximum of 10-15 minutes before I get a terrible ache and sharp pains going right through my hip joint, I seem to spend all night tossing and turning from side to side to try to get comfortable and I can't sleep on my back as I start to snore, lol, my husband then nudges me to turn over, so the turning continues all night, I'm shattered!  I asked the doc about my hip pain and he just said, "yes its probably OA" and that was all I got so not much help there, I think I will have to go and see a different GP to see if I can get any further.  Anybody else with bad OA having problems with hip joints?

Natalie.
Dislocations since age 12
Trochlear Dysplasia
Maltracking
Hypermobile
LR/MR-failed
TTT, LR, MR L knee 95-Success
TTT, LR, MR R 02-Success
Screws out
Partial tear ACL
Severe end stage OA
4 Debridements
Partial Meniscectomy
Failed Microfracture
11mm Defect LFC
Bone Spurs, Kissing Lesions

Offline Cosmicsnuffle

• Forum Faithful
  • Life's short - eat pudding first!
Re: Anyone Else?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 11:40:34 PM »
Hi Natalie,

I don't have experience of your particular problem, but have a couple of friends in similar situations who have switched their mattresses to memory foam, which seems to have helped. The memory foam distributes body weight more evenly than conventional mattresses meaning you have less pressure on sore areas, so you need to move less, so you wake up less!

Some of the really good suppliers will let you have a trial period, and it's worth checking the foam density as there are different standards, as well as foam which dissipates body heat (some memory foam can have great insulating properties meaning if you are "hot" in bed ( ;) ) you may find yourself getting hotter LoL !!).

:)
Oct 04 - torn meniscus
Dec 05 meniscal trim and debridement
Sep 09 torn ACL, kissing contusions, knee locked 30-60o
Jan 10 ACL stump debrided, lateral parrot beak meniscal tear trimmed
May 10 ACLr (Hamstring)
Aug 11 mfx (focal lesion lateral femoral condyle)
Jun 14 100k walk London-Brighton 28hrs

Offline mmrocker13

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 11:44:46 PM »
I have labral tears in both my hips. In my "good leg", they are from a bike crash. However, the ones in my bad leg are most likely caused from compensating/goofy gait pattern due to my knee.

I treat them with PT (lots of core--abs, back, glutes, and hams), and for the most part, they are bearable. MUCh better than hip surgery, which I do not want to touch with a ten foot pole.
89: Pat. dislocation, lat. meniscus tear, femoral OCD lesion
89: debridement, chondroplasty, lateral partial menisectomy
02: partial lat. menisc., debride
02: mfx
09: subtotal menisc., debride, c'plasty
10: scope/debride
10: varus DFO
13: HWR
15: total menisc., debride, c'plasty, notchplasty

Offline Natalie.D

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 08:24:31 PM »
Thanks for your replies, very helpful, I thought about the memory foam mattress but aren't they very very expensive?  We have a king size bed and can't really afford to spend a whole lot of money on a mattress but on saying that I haven't really looked into the cost of them so maybe their not as expensive as I'm thinking they are!  Lol, I'm sure my husband would be pleased if I found myself getting hotter in bed, lol  :o

I do try to keep myself pretty fit, I do a lot of scuba diving, swimming and walking the dogs as I'm fairly limited to what type of exercise I can do as you can imagine, but yeah, not really wanting to go down the route of surgery on my hips, I can barely deal with the knee surgeries!

Thanks again, will look into the memory foam mattresses, I think they would probably be my best option.

Natalie.
Dislocations since age 12
Trochlear Dysplasia
Maltracking
Hypermobile
LR/MR-failed
TTT, LR, MR L knee 95-Success
TTT, LR, MR R 02-Success
Screws out
Partial tear ACL
Severe end stage OA
4 Debridements
Partial Meniscectomy
Failed Microfracture
11mm Defect LFC
Bone Spurs, Kissing Lesions

Offline Cosmicsnuffle

• Forum Faithful
  • Life's short - eat pudding first!
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 10:53:13 PM »
....Memory foam prices do very considerably - just be sure if you buy a cheaper one that it has a decent density.

You could always try a memory foam topper for your existing mattress...

It sounds like you are doing everything you can fitness wise - I find the therapy of getting with the dog (even if just to the field behind the house with a ball and throw) is better than any drug! I'm a hopeless swimmer but I think it could be time to start trying.

Everything is so much easier to face after some decent quality sleep (even if it's not all night!), so I do hope you get it sorted.

Good luck with the search :-)
Oct 04 - torn meniscus
Dec 05 meniscal trim and debridement
Sep 09 torn ACL, kissing contusions, knee locked 30-60o
Jan 10 ACL stump debrided, lateral parrot beak meniscal tear trimmed
May 10 ACLr (Hamstring)
Aug 11 mfx (focal lesion lateral femoral condyle)
Jun 14 100k walk London-Brighton 28hrs